2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Retrofit factory amp where no amp previously

05-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Retrofit factory amp where no amp previously

Hi all

How difficult is it and is there any diy/wiring diagrams to retrofit a factory amp or bimmertech amp in a car which has no amp previously? I'm curious to see how involved the wiring is. Particularly the power side of things. I have fitted a bimmertech rvc and that wasn't too painful!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Apples12

You are in the same position as me with base hifi.

Bimmertech is one option but expensive.

However obtaining a technic harness will give you more options over the amp.

http://technicpnp.com/product_purcha...eries_F10.html
You will probably want the 4/6 harness and will need to consider the termination - bare wires for hi level if you want say eton dsp can8 or twisted rca if you want to use say a JL audio 600.

You can then pick your amp and speakers.
I personally pickup up a used set of BMW HK speakers from an M5, the tweeter mounts for the doors £25, the technic harness and an eton dsp can8 from amazon.
I've only fitted the speakers to date but the improvement is there.

I think if I was doing it again I'd pick up some focal KRS100 for the front doors, although appreciate I would need to obtain some OEM connectors to allow integration without cutting the original factory speaker wiring.

Another alternative would be hifi code the headunit and use the technic harness (twisted rca terminated version) and a simplier amp such as as JL audio 600 or a 6 channel eton amp.

There are a lot of threads on e90 post which may help, although I disregarded the JBL MS8 due to reliability issues.

gtthree

Last edited by gtthree; 05-30-2016 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Didn't know about the Eton DSP! Gives me some options now. 100x8 i think is plenty power too! can you chime in more about the Eton DSP as how user friendly it is? For me I'm think I just going with the Focal K2 powers as i'm okay with having to modify the wires since my car is not a lease. don't know too much about the Focal KRS100's? are they anything similar to their ACCESS series or POLYGLASS series?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-30-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Hi

I've not fitted the Eton DSP yet. I'd seen it name checked by Technic as "game set and match". If I can find the link I will add it at a later date.

There was an X5 driver who fitted one who gave good feedback.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-jl-audio.html

and

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790727

I believe it is a very good piece of kit but you need to carry out your own calibration.
When you purchase it will probably be cheapest for you to source in UK or europe either amazon or ebay.co.uk or ebay.de.
Note you will need the set up cable at an additional cost of approx 50euro.

When you set up you need to ask Eton for the software which will open up the centre channel.

http://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/products...uct/dsp-8-can/

Unfortunately the user manual is in German but google translate will assist.

I'm looking forward to fitting mine with the technic harness, attaching bullets to the technic cable to allow attachment to the eton harness. I just need to find the time.

When I get home I can attach some detailed pics of the harness's if you like? It will be over two weeks time.

gtthree
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Hi,
would be great to see pics of the harness

I've got a full set of speakers out of an F10 which had the hifi system installed on the way to me, i think as a base I'm going to install the tweeters into the front and rear door and see how that does for me - as i said, i'm not a lover of music - mainly just my podcasts on my commute to work!

the wiring side of thing scares me a little
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

hi apples12

Please note the following:
Rear Tweeter - in order to mount these in the precut section you need the following to do both sides:
4 screws - BMW part number: 07 11 9 905 746 - these are the same as the rear woofer screws.
4 body nuts - BMW part number: 07 12 9 904 150 - these fit onto the rear deck to allow you to mount your tweeters as OEM intended.

They are not expensive and your local dealer will be able to supply you them.

For fronts doors all you will need is the tweeter holders.

gtthree
Appreciate 0