2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Clicking Noise from Brakes...

10-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sport, Exec, Tech

Clicking Noise from Brakes...

My '11 535i does this:
When I change gear "drive to reverse, or vice versa), the first time I apply the brakes, I get two or three short, but very audible "clicks" coming from the brakes. It only happens the first time I apply the brakes, but it happens every time I change direction.
So, I back out of my garage, apply the brakes, and hear "click click click". I back onto the street, drive to the first stop sign, apply the brakes and hear "click click". I back into my stall at work, and as I apply the brakes, "click click".

I have taken it into the dealer a couple of times. The first time, they did something to the way the brake pads were seated, or some such thing. The noise went away for a while, but came back. So I took it in again, and after much fussing, they declared this annoying sound "normal". Their basis for this determination was that they took another brand new 535 out on a short road test and heard the same noise.

Am I the only one?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I haven't experienced this on my Sep '10 535d and it definitely doesn't sound 'normal' to me.
I think you should persist with your dealer - did they take you out on the test drive in their own car? If not it might be an idea to ask them for a demonstration.
There will be a very slight degree of movement between the carrier and pads within the brake caliper assembly and what you might be hearing could be the parts reseating themselves after a change in direction. However, as I said earlier, it doesn't sound right to me.
Can you isolate it to a particular area of the car and can you feel anything through the pedal?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I've just re booked to have this looked at again. They did mention "reseating", which I sort of get, but the noise is getting louder, and I can actually feel it a bit through the brake pedal.
I shall persist!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

I experience something similar. It's very pronounced when using Auto-H.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

So here is the write up from my service visit:

Check and advise for clicking noise on brake pad, most noticeable when stopping after changing direction.
Asst shop foreman road tested and verified sound with customer: seems to originate from normal caliper motion during load reversal upon initial brake application.
Lubed spring clips of front brakes, sound still present. Updated Puma case 47921111 for BMW Canada to monitor. Puma measure 44767097-02 states parts replacement. Does not provide a remedy. No further action required at this time.

So there you have it. They acknowledge the issue, and continue to do nothing about it. So now whenever anybody sits it my 70k luxury sports sedan and asks "what's that noise?", I get to tell them "oh it's nothing really, just a normal thing for a BMW.", to which the can reply, "Odd, that doesn't happen in my Hyundai."

Not happy......
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Goodchip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Oh, I forgot to mention, they graciously waived the $69.95 brake inspection fee!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
front brake "clanck" noise problem identified and resolved

After three trips to BMW of San Diego for failed attempts at resolving this, I followed a friend's advice and went instead to BMW of Encinitas. Within two hours, the problem was identified as being that the front brake pads were slightly too small, from leading to trailing edge, thus allowing them to shift, with an audible "clank", when changing direction and braking such as when leaving a parking spot. BMW of Encinitas replaced the front brake pads and sensors. The car is still within the free service period so no cost to me. The noise is gone. Finally!

Last edited by MWPos; 11-28-2012 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
DHERNANDEZ
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i

Bmw 535i, 2013, 20k Miles.

Same Noise, Same Problem, Changed Rotor, Pads, Pins, Guide Pins, Retaining Clips, Still Clicking. Tried Lubed The Back Of Pads And Pads Ears, Anti-squeal, And No Luck. Changed Brake Fluid, Nothing!!!
Dealer Says Is Normal.....
Caliper Problem? Any Ideas?

Thanks Diego.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHERNANDEZ View Post
Same Noise, Same Problem, Changed Rotor, Pads, Pins, Guide Pins, Retaining Clips, Still Clicking. Tried Lubed The Back Of Pads And Pads Ears, Anti-squeal, And No Luck. Changed Brake Fluid, Nothing!!!
Dealer Says Is Normal.....
Caliper Problem? Any Ideas?

Thanks Diego.
I've had several cars do this, and my F10 does it too, but not to the extent that it's annoying.

I suppose if you really gooped some pad anti-squeal paste of a very thick consistency in there it might stop, but I'm not sure it's worth putting non-standard compounds in non-standard places that might have unintended consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
DHERNANDEZ
Rep

It sounds too in small bumps at very low speed, and is not suspension problem because i’ve checked.
I added permatex grease, but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
DHERNANDEZ
Rep

I could be something related to caliper piston?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It sounds too in small bumps at very low speed, and is not suspension problem because i’ve checked.
I added permatex grease, but no luck.
OK - I've never heard mine from bumps. Only from applying the brakes after changing direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
DHERNANDEZ
Rep

In fact, when added anti squeese the noose get worse!!!
Grease only in back pads and ears? Anywhere else? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In fact, when added anti squeese the noose get worse!!!
Grease only in back pads and ears? Anywhere else? Thanks
I think it's just the piston edge, the ears, and where the floating part of the caliper contacts the rear of the floating pad.

I usually use anti-seize like Sylglide that stays goopy. There are others out there that "set up", get tacky or semi-harden. I'm not advocating them, but maybe something like that it all that will help.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchip View Post
So here is the write up from my service visit:

Check and advise for clicking noise on brake pad, most noticeable when stopping after changing direction.
Asst shop foreman road tested and verified sound with customer: seems to originate from normal caliper motion during load reversal upon initial brake application.
Lubed spring clips of front brakes, sound still present. Updated Puma case 47921111 for BMW Canada to monitor. Puma measure 44767097-02 states parts replacement. Does not provide a remedy. No further action required at this time.

So there you have it. They acknowledge the issue, and continue to do nothing about it. So now whenever anybody sits it my 70k luxury sports sedan and asks "what's that noise?", I get to tell them "oh it's nothing really, just a normal thing for a BMW.", to which the can reply, "Odd, that doesn't happen in my Hyundai."

Not happy......
sound like you made up your mind on next purchase
      09-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #16
hasanbicer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

Clicking noise due to loose brake pads

Hello all,
I had the same problem with my E90 and F10.
They were making a kind of clicking noice when hit the brake. I found the problem. in both cars, problem was loose brake pads. Brake pads were able to move up and down because the space between the pad teeth are little larger than than caliper. So it was sticking to rotor move up and hit the caliper and it makes a clicking noise. So I bend a piece of thin metal and put it down side of the brake pads. after that it was not able to move up and down then problem solved.
No more clicking noise when you hit the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchip View Post
My '11 535i does this:
When I change gear "drive to reverse, or vice versa), the first time I apply the brakes, I get two or three short, but very audible "clicks" coming from the brakes. It only happens the first time I apply the brakes, but it happens every time I change direction.
So, I back out of my garage, apply the brakes, and hear "click click click". I back onto the street, drive to the first stop sign, apply the brakes and hear "click click". I back into my stall at work, and as I apply the brakes, "click click".

I have taken it into the dealer a couple of times. The first time, they did something to the way the brake pads were seated, or some such thing. The noise went away for a while, but came back. So I took it in again, and after much fussing, they declared this annoying sound "normal". Their basis for this determination was that they took another brand new 535 out on a short road test and heard the same noise.

Am I the only one?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I had some clicks that were annoying and found that it was due to some dust particle that had gotten into the piston area because the hat of the Piston seal had slightly come off and allowed dust to get into the area where the piston slides in/out. Might be an area to look into.
Appreciate 0