2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Side Marker Lense Tinting

01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
top6491
MSGT USMC (Ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Side Marker Lense Tinting

I've always disliked the look of the side marker lights, especially on AW cars, so last night I used lamim-x to tint my side marker lights. Looks pretty cool on an AW car, especially with color matched trim.

Only problem is that lamin-x is pretty thick (their colored films are all 12 mil) and the lights are small and have some tight turns, not to mention little clearance between the marker trim and the lense itself. A thinner tint would be much better/easier to use.

It is pretty easy to remove the entire side marker assembly from the fender, then remove the trim to fully expose the lense. I will see if I can get some window tint scraps from a local tint shop and see if that works better. Seems window tint is 1 - 2 mil, so much thinner. While I'd rather have something that can easily be removed/changed (say to change color or revert to stock), any tint would be better than the clear look.

I'll post pics soon.

FWIW: P/N for a '12 535 is 63137154167 (left side) and 63137154168 (right side) for vehicles without park assist. Cost of these items is only around $50/ea, so if you mess one up you can buy a new one relatively cheap. They are plug and play, and if the trim is ok do not require painting.

If anyone else has experimented with other looks for the side markers (like people have for the grills), or know of a pre-tinted commercial replacement, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by top6491; 06-03-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0