2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Picking up my F10 550i tomorrow

12-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

[Edit: She's home!] Picking up my F10 550i tomorrow

Hi All,

I participate a bit over on the E90 forum, but am adding a 550i to my garage tomorrow and after reading posts here for a month thought I should say "hi".

I appreciate all the posts, info and photos that you guys have contributed; it really helped me to make a decision as to color, options, etc....

Almost every BMW I've owned has been TiAg/Black including a couple of E39 body styles and two E60's, but this time, after driving the car, the F10 just seems so much more comfort oriented and luxurious I felt I'd go with a less sporty, more open/airy......"luxo" feel for the interior.

Conveniently, as I've gotten older and begun to desire a bit more Lexus/Mercedes in my BMW experience, BMW has delivered just such a car with the F10!

This is what I ended up going with:
  1. Space Gray
  2. Oyster / Black Nappa
  3. Anthracite Wood
  4. 8 spd with sport shifter/paddles
  5. M Sport Pack
  6. Comfort Access
  7. Premium 2
  8. Convenience Package
  9. Active Ventilated Seats
  10. Cold Weather
  11. Heads Up
  12. Side and Top View Cameras
  13. Smart Phone Integration
I drew the line at the $2200.00 rear seat entertainment package although I know my two kids won't be happy about that........meh.......they're a bit spoiled anyway! I'll buy 'em Auto Bingo for Christmas!

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 12-17-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

Congrats, you will love your 550i.

At first I did not order the rear seat entertainment system for my F10 550i. I thought that my two kids are already spoiled from the rear seat entertainment system in my Mercedes GL 450. I thought that if they really need to watch movie that much, then I may just buy 2 tablets in the future.

But looking back I realized the options that I used the most in my GL 450 was the GPS system, the keyless entry, and the rear seat entertainment system.

In my 550i, I don't use the satellite radio, self parallel parking and lane departure warning. If only I could delete these options and pay a little bit more for the rear seat entertainment system then I would be a lot happier.
      12-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
Congrats, you will love your 550i.

At first I did not order the rear seat entertainment system for my F10 550i. I thought that my two kids are already spoiled from the rear seat entertainment system in my Mercedes GL 450. I thought that if they really need to watch movie that much, then I may just buy 2 tablets in the future.

But looking back I realized the options that I used the most in my GL 450 was the GPS system, the keyless entry, and the rear seat entertainment system.

In my 550i, I don't use the satellite radio, self parallel parking and lane departure warning. If only I could delete these options and pay a little bit more for the rear seat entertainment system then I would be a lot happier.
We have the rear seat entertainment in my wife's X5 and, really, once the novelty wore off both of our kids went back to reading, playing their Nintendo DS systems (or trying to kill each other) more than wanting to watch videos. I predict that they'll complain if we don't have it, but they don't use it much when we do.

We don't really take many lengthy trips via car though so maybe that's the difference.....?
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
smhoer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert 2008

Hi BrandX,
My 550 should be arriving at port tomorrow. Hopefully will be delivered to me late next week. Did you deal with Leith? This is the first time since the mid 80s I have been able to come to a deal with Leith. New sales mgt since my last car resulted in a good deal.

Congrats and enjoy you ride.

Soon to be retired - ED 2008 - 335i Convert, Space Grey/Coral Red/Grey Poplar, Sport :
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

You're gonna love the car. I got mine last week and it's just amazing. And as you, I got all the goodies +1, the active cruise. It's a great car!!! Post pics when you can, mine are under the media blog 'my new 2011 550i graphite metallic'.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Congrats on your car and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. How are you going to control that beast on I-40 is beyond me (I spend some time in the Triad).
      12-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
Hi BrandX,
My 550 should be arriving at port tomorrow. Hopefully will be delivered to me late next week. Did you deal with Leith? This is the first time since the mid 80s I have been able to come to a deal with Leith. New sales mgt since my last car resulted in a good deal.

Congrats and enjoy you ride.
Hi,

Congrats on your soon to be delivered 550!

Yes, I dealt with Leith. They have always taken very good care of me, but like most dealerships it may have something to do with who you deal with. I started buying cars from them in '92 and have purchased 10-12 BMW's from them since.

Starting in 2002 I have dealt with only two guys and they have both been great.

Roland Lewis, who is primarily their Rolls-Royce sales consultant, is my current go-to guy and he is very knowledgeable and usually comes to me with a price I'll accept right out of the gate.

The discount from sticker on the 550i was about 6.7% I believe.

I've shopped at Performance in Chapel-Hill as well, but while they seem eager to please and perfectly great to deal with they've just never had the right car for me when I was ready to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
You're gonna love the car. I got mine last week and it's just amazing. And as you, I got all the goodies +1, the active cruise. It's a great car!!! Post pics when you can, mine are under the media blog 'my new 2011 550i graphite metallic'.

Thanks! Your car is gorgeous BTW.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed it so far.

One thing I don't understand is that the BMW literature says the Active Seat movement is "imperceptible". Do you find this to be true? In my car it feels like a coffee can is slowly rising under first one butt check and then the other! Not a particularly pleasant experience!

I have ventilated seats in my Carrera though and I know I'll enjoy that during the summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Congrats on your car and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. How are you going to control that beast on I-40 is beyond me (I spend some time in the Triad).
Thanks!

Yes, I-40 is not a great place to enjoy driving a car......that's for sure. Not so terribly congested, but tons of horrific drivers! At least the DOT is slowly widening it and smoothing over the stretches of older, broken pavement.

Fortunately I have a 35 mile commute into work each day and I start from outside of town with about 10 miles of excellent, twisty and undulating roads that I can enjoy before hitting the new 264 bypass which, at least, is pretty wide open and has a 70mph speed limit.

Unfortunately, the same country road that is so much fun heading into work is a nightmare of deer herds on the way home after dark!

I've had two collisions with deer in two different BMW's in the past 3 years. Never fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, having taken delivery of my 550i around 9am today I'm obviously still very much in the early honeymoon stages, but all I can say at this point is HOT DAMN!

Like a lot of folks here, I've owned some really nice cars including about 12 BMW's, but this one is really something special.

I'm wondering if my Carrera will ever get let out of the garage now.

My two favorite aesthetic touches so far are the Black Chrome M Sport tailpipes and the ambiance lighting running along the interior of the doors. Shweet!

The *only* negative is that this is the first car I've owned that allows me to understand why folks go to the trouble to drop their rides. Not that I'll do it, but there is definitely more wheel well gap than I'm used to......and usually that doesn't bother me......

Looking forward to pegging her after a couple thousand miles.......
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
pittner
software
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i titanium - driving

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B R A N D X® View Post
Well, having taken delivery of my 550i around 9am today I'm obviously still very much in the early honeymoon stages, but all I can say at this point is HOT DAMN!
Congrats! I am envious of your garage! I got a good bit of info from your posts. I have a 550 on order that I am scheduled to pick up on Jan6. It is my first bmw and can hardly sleep waiting for it. I lived in Germany for four years and am certainly a driving enthusiast. Just wish I could take my 550 over there!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittner View Post
Congrats! I am envious of your garage! I got a good bit of info from your posts. I have a 550 on order that I am scheduled to pick up on Jan6. It is my first bmw and can hardly sleep waiting for it. I lived in Germany for four years and am certainly a driving enthusiast. Just wish I could take my 550 over there!
That's one heck of a first BMW! You'll be addicted to the brand once you take delivery. Amazing car! My wife took ours out for a drive today and I happened to meet her coming down the road on my way in to work. Man....the car looks incredible coming towards you *and* going away from you. A wonderfully head turning combination of aggression and elegance.

Congrats and enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
pittner
software
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's one heck of a first BMW! You'll be addicted to the brand once you take delivery. Amazing car! My wife took ours out for a drive today and I happened to meet her coming down the road on my way in to work. Man....the car looks incredible coming towards you *and* going away from you. A wonderfully head turning combination of aggression and elegance.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Thanks! It was a long time coming. I used to have cheap sporty cars when young, then the kids came and I would drive the minivans like a sportscar. lol. It's in my blood. Anyway, just sent the last kid to college and now the time has come. I can't wait to REALLY drive it and feel everything it has to offer.

Quote:
meet her coming down the road on my way in to work
I already know I'm not working the day I pick it up from the Performance Center and probably the next couple of days as *no one* will be able to pry my hands from steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
pittner
software
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I forgot to ask ..... Are you going to be posting pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittner View Post
I forgot to ask ..... Are you going to be posting pics?
Absolutely. I just need a few clear days with reasonable temp's so I can detail it and do a shoot!

Even more than the car.....congrats on sending your last kid off to college. That's an even bigger accomplishment IMO!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
pittner
software
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Absolutely. I just need a few clear days with reasonable temp's so I can detail it and do a shoot!
Can't wait to see the pics!

Quote:
Even more than the car.....congrats on sending your last kid off to college. That's an even bigger accomplishment IMO!
Thank you! We are very proud parents.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
One thing I don't understand is that the BMW literature says the Active Seat movement is "imperceptible". Do you find this to be true? In my car it feels like a coffee can is slowly rising under first one butt check and then the other! Not a particularly pleasant experience!

I have ventilated seats in my Carrera though and I know I'll enjoy that during the summer months.
I'd have to agree with you about the "active seats". While a couple of my passengers find it enjoyable, to me it's quite annoying. In fact I'd go as far as to call it a real pain in the a$$