2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cadillac CTS-V

11-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish454
One big difference in the two: In three years the $70k Caddy will be worth $30k. The $70k BMW will be worth considerably more.
You should be leasing if you get a new car in 3 years. Resale won't matter much.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
I'm sorry, but you either don't know what an ATS is or you're just flat out lying lol. Floaty? ...no... Handling is a joke compared to the 3 series? You have no idea what you're talking about. The 3 series has advantages over the ATS, but handling is not one of them.

And what do you mean it's better than it used to be? 2013 is the first model year for the ATS. The 2014 drives no different.
I test drove the ATS a few months ago- it's not a great handling car. It doesn't perform well, the steering wheel doesn't provide god feedback and the ride was floaty compared to a 3 Series. The 3 Series does do all these things well. A 3 Series with DHP makes the ATS feel like a Buick in comparison in handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
I test drove the ATS a few months ago- it's not a great handling car. It doesn't perform well, the steering wheel doesn't provide god feedback and the ride was floaty compared to a 3 Series. The 3 Series does do all these things well. A 3 Series with DHP makes the ATS feel like a Buick in comparison in handling.
Lol, it's not even remotely floaty especially when equipped with magnetic ride control and especially compared to the F30. In fact, its even been criticized as being too firm in sport mode when equipped with magnetic ride control. The fact that you said they handle better than they used to makes it clear as day you didn't test drive it and have no knowledge of the car. Please explain how they handle better than they used to when 2013 is the first model year for the ATS.

The ATS was built on the all new RWD alpha platform which used the E46 as a benchmark. This chassis is exclusive to the ATS and new CTS. It shares nothing with FWD Buicks..

The F30 is better styled, it has a better powertrain, it's faster, and it has more interior room. It does not handle better.

Last edited by ep_83; 11-20-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #26
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
You should be leasing if you get a new car in 3 years. Resale won't matter much.
The resale value drives the residual value in a lease, so the lower the resale, the higher the lease payment - so you are paying for a car that depreciates more.
      11-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

True, but manufacturers inflate their residuals to sell cars (BMW), so it's the bottom line payment after you've made your best deal that counts. Reason why in most cases you can buy your same optioned model for less off the used car lot rather than purchase your own at lease end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
The resale value drives the residual value in a lease, so the lower the resale, the higher the lease payment - so you are paying for a car that depreciates more.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post
True, but manufacturers inflate their residuals to sell cars (BMW), so it's the bottom line payment after you've made your best deal that counts. Reason why in most cases you can buy your same optioned model for less off the used car lot rather than purchase your own at lease end.
Agree. But if Cadillac doesn't "pad" the residual their car will be more expensive (msrp to msrp) assuming interest rates are the same.
      11-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
Lol, it's not even remotely floaty especially when equipped with magnetic ride control and especially compared to the F30. In fact, its even been criticized as being too firm in sport mode when equipped with magnetic ride control. The fact that you said they handle better than they used to makes it clear as day you didn't test drive it and have no knowledge of the car. Please explain how they handle better than they used to when 2013 is the first model year for the ATS.

The ATS was built on the all new RWD alpha platform which used the E46 as a benchmark. This chassis is exclusive to the ATS and new CTS. It shares nothing with FWD Buicks..

The F30 is better styled, it has a better powertrain, it's faster, and it has more interior room. It does not handle better.

I frankly don't know if my ATS demo had "magnetic ride control". I acknowledge that the Cadillac brand is better than it used to be- I know the ATS is a new model. I wasn't impressed with the way the ATS handled.

I want to test drive the CTS so I will give the ATS another try. Since I'm in NJ they'll be AWD versions.

The fit, finish, and quality of materials used are inferior to the German and Japanese cars in the same class.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #30
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I don't like the exterior or interior of the Caddys. I find them unattractive and cheaply made. I drove the ATS a few months and it was floaty- though better than it used to be. To compare the handling to a 3 Series is a joke- might as well compare the "sport" version of a Buick, if there is such a thing to a 3 Series.

I'm going to test drive the CTS with an open mind. Unfortunately, I've found the Caddy dealers by me to be quite poor.

The LCI 5 Series has been tightened up- steering and suspension. M Sport passive suspension is fantastic- and even the regular M Sport suspension is great. The Dynamic Handling package is another great option with the 535/550.

A 550 with DHP and loaded up with technology is the premier under $100k car in the world- best combination of Horsepower, Performance, Technology, Luxury and handling.
I never had the pleasure to drive the ATS, but I drove a few of the new 3er (320i, 328i and 428i).
The sedans wore horrible in driving dynamic compared to what they used to be in the past.
ATS floaty?
Try the new F30 and see how it will give you a sense on insecurity.
The car feels very light and the suspension way too soft. It wobbles all the time.
In a turn with slight road imperfections you will grab a hold of the steering wheel for dear life.
The steering wheel feels very light at all speeds. Not a good idea at highway speeds. In a parking lot it is a delight however.

The 428i is a different car and it does feel different. Suspension tune is much better and the steering feels just right. I guess it has some sport package perhaps.
The steering does not feel light at high speed, it does feel just right. Suspension on the 428i makes the car feel more confident in turn at higher speed. Not perfect or to the point where it would put a big smile on my face, but better than the sedans.

So, to say the new 3 series is the benchmark in the segment would be a gross overstatement.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
A 550 with DHP and loaded up with technology is the premier under $100k car in the world- best combination of Horsepower, Performance, Technology, Luxury and handling.
I recently drove a 2014 Audi S6 (MSRP $81K), and I'm not sure you are correct. There are things I like about the 5 series and things I like about the A6/S6. If the S6 wasn't so boring looking from the outside, I'd say it's the clear winner.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStoreMoney View Post
I recently drove a 2014 Audi S6 (MSRP $81K), and I'm not sure you are correct. There are things I like about the 5 series and things I like about the A6/S6. If the S6 wasn't so boring looking from the outside, I'd say it's the clear winner.
S6 is a nice vehicle. Like the Audi LED lighting a little more than BMWs.

I'll take a loaded up 550 over an S6 every time.
Appreciate 0