2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Got Rear-Ended

04-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Got Rear-Ended

Saturday I was on my way to my friends house. It was busy bumper to bumper traffic. I was looking in my rearview mirror I can see guy driving in Acura almost rear ending me I was thinking man that was close two seconds later He gets hit by Jeep Grand Cherokee next thing he hits me I was like F#$%. I didn't even wanna walk out to see what happened because I was mad. I made my way out 2-4 min later. It wasn't as bad as I taught it would be. His license plate screw left imprint in my bumper it needs paint and my diffuser posed off on left and right side. I will update pictures later.
Yeah that was my Saturday
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Bummer, his insurance will cover it.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Saturday I was on my way to my friends house. It was busy bumper to bumper traffic. I was looking in my rearview mirror I can see guy driving in Acura almost rear ending me I was thinking man that was close two seconds later He gets hit by Jeep Grand Cherokee next thing he hits me I was like F#$%. I didn't even wanna walk out to see what happened because I was mad. I made my way out 2-4 min later. It wasn't as bad as I taught it would be. His license plate screw left imprint in my bumper it needs paint and my diffuser posed off on left and right side. I will update pictures later.
Oh man, bummer. Glad it's not too bad.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

sux bro! hope his insurance covers it!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
sux bro! hope his insurance covers it!
I was thinking Her insurance will have to pay because she initiated accident?
It was Jeep Acura then me
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Any time you get hit from the rear you're covered even if the some other car pushed them into you. What will happen is your insurance will go after the person that hit you, and the person that got pushed into you will go after the insurance company of the person that him them. It will still show on your insurance it's called a 49/51%. It sucks but that how I insurance companies record it. 49% your fault 51 theirs. It won't raise your monthly
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Any time you get hit from the rear you're covered even if the some other car pushed them into you. What will happen is your insurance will go after the person that hit you, and the person that got pushed into you will go after the insurance company of the person that him them. It will still show on your insurance it's called a 49/51%. It sucks but that how I insurance companies record it. 49% your fault 51 theirs. It won't raise your monthly
That is crazy 49/51 what kind of S#it is that I just happened to be on front of this idiots and this will show on my insurance that's BS.
Thanks for making it clear so I know what am dealing with.
I should probably get lawyer My back huts now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5
Quote:
That is crazy 49/51 what kind of S#it is that I just happened to be on front of this idiots and this will show on my insurance that's BS.
Yup this is why California is riddled with people who sue, because the insurance industry is greedy AF and it's the only way to even the playing field. They say the 49/51 doesn't count against you, but then why must it be on the record for 3 years?! Suing covers your deductible that will be raised on you.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup this is why California is riddled with people who sue, because the insurance industry is greedy AF and it's the only way to even the playing field. They say the 49/51 doesn't count against you, but then why must it be on the record for 3 years?! Suing covers your deductible that will be raised on you.
So what you saying I will have to pay deductible. But if I sue they will cover?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
First, sorry to hear that, it sucks, but unfortunately it happens, what matters is that you're OK, car will get fixed. Of course get your back checked, but it's not uncommon to be sore for a week or so after getting rear-ended.

As for 49/51 blame, things are perhaps different in Canada, but times I had this happen to me, all I got from my insurance was "Make sure you get yourself a rental, here's list of recommended repair shops, but you can pick your own, we'll take care of everything, just let us know" - which they did. No deductible, no mention of any kind of "shared responsibility", or premium increases whatsoever - which to me makes perfect sense, I don't get how you can share any kind of blame for this.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
First, sorry to hear that, it sucks, but unfortunately it happens, what matters is that you're OK, car will get fixed. Of course get your back checked, but it's not uncommon to be sore for a week or so after getting rear-ended.

As for 49/51 blame, things are perhaps different in Canada, but times I had this happen to me, all I got from my insurance was "Make sure you get yourself a rental, here's list of recommended repair shops, but you can pick your own, we'll take care of everything, just let us know" - which they did. No deductible, no mention of any kind of "shared responsibility", or premium increases whatsoever - which to me makes perfect sense, I don't get how you can share any kind of blame for this.
Well tomorrow I will get estimate on my car and maybe go to doctor get my back checked.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #12
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

If the other driver's carrier doesn't cover for some reason, your carrier will cover the damage and you won't have any deductible. Your carrier will sort it out with the other carrier. All will be good.

Less aggravating than my encounter with the garage door last fall. $2,300 damage to the car, and a whole new garage door. Doh.

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I hope you're okay first and foremost. As I learned a little over a month ago, the car can be replaced/repaired.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
It sucks but that how I insurance companies record it. 49% your fault 51 theirs. It won't raise your monthly
Say WHAT?????????? How can ANY insurance company say the OP is at all at fault? He was just sitting there minding his own business and got hit. His only "mistake" was being there. I was rear-ended a couple of years ago and I wad 0% at fault and the guy that hit me was 100% at fault. Mr. Acura is 100% at fault for the entire fiasco.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #15
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc
Quote:
It sucks but that how I insurance companies record it. 49% your fault 51 theirs. It won't raise your monthly
Say WHAT?????????? How can ANY insurance company say the OP is at all at fault? He was just sitting there minding his own business and got hit. His only "mistake" was being there. I was rear-ended a couple of years ago and I wad 0% at fault and the guy that hit me was 100% at fault. Mr. Acura is 100% at fault for the entire fiasco.
Thats how insurance companies record it 49/51. I don't make the rules. Supposedly it doesn't count against you, but get a new quote and see how things work out.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
NickG_TechniqueTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

Quote:
What you want to do is contact the insurance company of the car that hit you, NOT YOUR OWN. I'm assuming that a police report was made, and it verifies that the car behind you hit you. 99.9% chance that they'll assume responsibility for the repairs and pay for everything. You won't have to deal with your insurance company or pay any deductible.

If for some reason they refuse to pay for the repairs, THEN you contact your insurance company. At that point you'll have to pay your deductible AND it will be a claim against you.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

I was involved in an accident in my F10 late last year. My front bumper, driver door, driver rear door, rear bumper, rear wheel, and skirts was damaged. I recommend calling your own insurance because that way they won't cut you short on anything. When you call the other insurance, you have more headache to deal with in my opinion. When I called mine first, they made sure I got everything done the way I wanted to. That way it will be their job to get the money from the other person's insurance.
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
No, you always call YOUR insurance company as they will represent you. Insurance companies take statements and they can ask you questions (unsuspecting to you) that can make you look like you are partly to blame. Remember to say "I was stopped and saw nothing", "car rearended me". Thats it!

And get your bumber carefully inspected (even behind it) because some of the force impacting material and brackets can be compromised.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

as far as damages i hope you get an OEM rear bumper and not some mickey mouse bondo job cause that would suck! demand for a new bumper! and not a replica!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #20
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Update:
This morning I hade estimate done by BMW body shop they will be replacing my diffuser and repairing my bumper estimate was 1550.00 not bad.
I did contact my Insurance and told them to make claim for me. After all I pay them lots of money they can at least do that. They called me today stating they made clime and I will be getting call form State Farm.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Update:
This morning I hade estimate done by BMW body shop they will be replacing my diffuser and repairing my bumper estimate was 1550.00 not bad.
I did contact my Insurance and told them to make claim for me. After all I pay them lots of money they can at least do that. They called me today stating they made clime and I will be getting call form State Farm.
You are NOT required to talk to their insurance company!! And.... DON'T!!!!! They will do everything in their power to confuse the situation and if you say anything other than what BigKutta said to say they will push as much blame on you as they can finagle! My wife got sideswiped last summer. It was the other party's fault as she came into my wife's lane. Her ins. wanted to talk to my wife and thankfully our agent told us we didn't have to talk to them. Knowing my wife, by the time they would have finished grilling her she would have admitted some fault. I told her no matter how much they called or wrote DON'T TALK TO THEM!!!!! Like you said, we've paid them enough money over the years!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #22
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You are NOT required to talk to their insurance company!! And.... DON'T!!!!! They will do everything in their power to confuse the situation and if you say anything other than what BigKutta said to say they will push as much blame on you as they can finagle! My wife got sideswiped last summer. It was the other party's fault as she came into my wife's lane. Her ins. wanted to talk to my wife and thankfully our agent told us we didn't have to talk to them. Knowing my wife, by the time they would have finished grilling her she would have admitted some fault. I told her no matter how much they called or wrote DON'T TALK TO THEM!!!!! Like you said, we've paid them enough money over the years!
Ye sir only person I will be talking to if they send insurance adjuster to make estimate.
Conversation is going to be short when he is planning on arriving to my house or work that's it.
Appreciate 0