2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW and competition

04-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

BMW and competition

Hey guys,

Saw something on the street the other day, and it made me think why I haven’t seen any BMW comparison to this vehicle lately. Perhaps I wasn’t in the correct forums. The car I am referring to is the 2016 Audi S6.

Saw it parked on the street near my work. Very understated, almost too bland. But it is an S6. I wonder, how does it compare to our terrific BMWs? Simple curiosity. I do see the Cadillac, Benz, and even the Camaro comparisons. But haven’t seen Audi. Lol. Perhaps they are out of the performance game altogether. I just don’t know. Haven’t even thought about an Audi in a while, and not many near me.
But anyone on this board have any experience with an 2016 Audi S6? In terms of performance, Quattro, 0-60, interior quality, and of course, the MMI interface vs our amazing I-Drive?

Let me know guys, would be interesting to see how this 2016 S6 fares against the M3, 550Xdrive, or dare I say even the M5? 

Take it easy on the Audi guys , it’s not their fault BMWs are so awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Ive actually look into the S6 as well. its pretty nicely equipped, pretty powerful for what it is and has a very nice interior. there is a youtube video on the m5 vs s6. I think in the end us BMW drivers is the way the car handles. with the audi, the focus is more on luxury and comfort over speed and performance.

with that said, i would not hesitate to buy one if the price is right.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Let me know guys, would be interesting to see how this 2016 S6 fares against the M3, 550Xdrive, or dare I say even the M5?
I think only fair comparison with S6 would 550xDrive, for other two you'd want to compare with RS4 and RS6.

Current generation of F10 and A6 in my opinion are very close in terms of performance, fit and finish and value. Personally I prefer exterior styling of BMW, but the rest is really matter of preference and maybe brand loyalty for some, both excellent cars in my view. It'll be interesting to see comparisons of new models, but I don't expect much to change.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

I find the exterior of the BMW 550i M Sport to be better looking, but other than that I prefer the Audi S6. The Audi has better handling, better electronics, a more efficient and more reliable engine, better engine/exhaust sound, a torque vectoring diff, and all kinds of more minor things like a front camera, and a larger gas tank.

The problem with the Audi is really mostly the leasing - it ends up being too expensive for the benefit you get over the BMW. Do you really want to spend a few hundred dollars more a month for the Audi when the BMW is "good enough"? My answer has been no. However, if I was buying rather than leasing, I would get the Audi.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

On Bimmerfest, it seems like there is someone threatening or already gone to the darkside every week on this car.
I do not like exterior, especially the front end of audi's; though, nothing is much worse then the new Lexus. I do not really care for the interior either.
I do not like the way my sister's A6 drives and it feels like 10 years since I drove an S8, but heard good things about the newer S6.
Sister also has her car in the show for 3 weeks at a time every time work needs to be done. Not sure if that is the usual, but I got to laugh when she is paying Audio lease prices to drive a ford focus rental.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Motor Trend did a 3 way comparo between the s6/m5/e63 amg back in 2012 or 13

S6 often gets compared to the //m cars as they consider the S line their performance division.

I've been a bmw fan for as long as i can remember, however when it came time to replace my e39 540i i really wanted the audi s6.

I drove an s4 and an s6. both were pretty quick.

However, when i got out of the car and walked away and looked back, the s6 and the s4 and the passat parked next to them all looked the same.

Also the build quality on the 550i is FAR SUPERIOR to that of the audi.

You can tell specially when you sit in both of the cars back to back.

Don't get me wrong the s6 has a gorgeous interior with alot of tech.

However it feels alot smaller than our f10's (which also makes it feel more nimble) even though it weighs as much as the 550i.

when you get an s6 you are also paying for exclusivity, as there aren't many that come to the states. the 2014 s6 i drove back in october was stickered at 70k with only 9k miles on it.

Both cars have their pros/cons. however for my $$ the 550i was the clear choice, in terms of build quality, and unique looks.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 12:39 AM   #7
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

For me, it's simple. There is nothing made by Audi that "speaks" to me. I find the styling bland, the interiors nice, but not really unique, and I can't see my self driving anything from the VAG.
Again, it's personal preference really. I have loved my 5 series, and maybe I have been fortunate, but my 5 series have been rock solid reliable. Just like with anything else, if you maintain it it will be reliable. Thankfully, since I know a lot of DIYers and I am one, my 5 series have cost me about a much as a Camry or Accord to maintain. And I'd rather drive a 5 series all day any day. If you're dealer dependent for maintenance, forego any European car and get the Camry or Accord, the labor rates at their dealerships are typically half that of the BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

If there was an A6 variant in Manual Transmission I'd be driving it.
I own a 2016 allroad so the s4, which is available would be redundant.
I don't want two BMW's, nor two Audi's. Nice to have diverse driveway.
The F10 is obviously a step above any A4-5 variant in terms of build, fit and finish.
Not as much fun.....
To me my msport is sort of bland as is the A6. A7 and 640i are beautiful machines.
Bmw's lease much better. I buy 3 year old cars so I let others pay the depreciation. Works for me, not for everyone.
      05-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

I just looked at the specs from the audi website, I too was curious about the S6. I didn't look at it when I made my decision to get my 550i m sport and always wondered if I made the best choice. Well after looking at the specs of the S6 4.0 TFSI Im glad I didn't bother, it's curb weight is 4486lbs vs 4300lbs for MY 550 and the S6 makes 450hp and 405lb-ft of torque vs the 550's underated 400hp and 450lb-ft. That was enough for me to dismiss the audi, the looks of the exterior and interior are subjective so I wont comment but the audi is heavier and makes less torque, so for me Im glad I bought the 550 plus I like the 550 looks wise more than the S6. I also have to agree with a previous poster who commented on the new lexus front grill, I thinks it looks horrible with that darth vader looking black plastic crap which makes up most of the front end. Ok im done
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Audis arent that popular in the US like in the EU, but here Audi outsells both BMW and Benz from what I know.

As for Audis MMI system it isn't as good as iDrive, but their S6 does sound way better than its 550i rival. Personally I also think the 5-series interior looks better, but what really stands out on the S6 though is the "Cylinder on Demand" option which makes it possible for you to shut down 4 of the cylinders for better fuel efficiency. This is Audis answer to the EU's CO2 regulations whereas BMW went the turbo route.

The weird part though is that Audi doesnt sell the RS6 in the US. I think it's because the RS6 only comes in the wagon style, and Americans dont like wagons. But excluding their M5 and E63 AMG answer from a big market, is a weird thing though. And this is what's underestimating Audis reputation in the US I believe. Nonetheless Audi makes way better looking wagons than both BMW and Benz, especially their RS6

After having checked the stats 0-100km/h (keep in mind that Audi is AWD)
S6 = 4,7 seconds
550i = 5,0 seconds

RS6 = 3,9 seconds
M5 = 4,4 seconds (Motor Trend got a time of 3,7 seconds though, but from 0-60mph)
Attached Images

Last edited by SleevedCoyote; 05-03-2016 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

The audi pictured is an aftermarket job added sci-fi add ons.

The wagons are used as the weight distribution have always worked better on Avants.

We are on our third "Avant" and love them. Seems to me when in Germany audis are very popular and wagons more frequent than sedans. USA has as stigma for wagons and need the height of a crossover. My wife loves here Allroad, while its a few inches higher than her 2010 Avant was, the A5 suspension widens the car and drives and handles great. In my book the F10 wagons are excellent cars. I know someone who has an e6x wagon, 535i with Manual Transmission to which I begged him to sell me! Came close to ording an E91 (wagon) Msport with n52 motor, but manual and all the add on effects from the factory and doing a euro delivery. I had just had some surgery and it was not a priority at the time.
Yes, I agree that Audi's are under appreciated in the United States!
      05-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

The Audi pictured is pretty close to stock, except for the diffuser, side sills and the front lip which are aftermarket. The RS6 has a more aggressive bodykit than the S6 Just like the M5 has it compared to the 550i's M-Sport

Indeed there are a ton of Audi wagons being sold here, they even outsell their sedan cousins.

Take a look at the S8, that thing is an absolute beast and destroys both the 7-series and S-Class AMG in terms of engineering. And that's with the old engine with 520hp Imagine what the new one can do with 605hp
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Regardless of the performance, the Audi styling is still too blah. They look like German Camrys to me. As for the S8 performance, that is somewhat of a one horse race - there is no "M7", although there IS a 760Li (V12) and an Alpina B7 (which also has 600 HP), not so sure the S8 would out perform both of those. Also, Merc has the S65 AMG - 621 HP biturbo V12.
Again, sales numbers reflect the F10 5 series and E class Merc far outselling the Audis. But I put little stock into sales numbers alone, in the US the Camry and Accord easily sell 10 times more than the F10, doesn't mean I want to drive one.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamzoro View Post
The Audi pictured is pretty close to stock, except for the diffuser, side sills and the front lip which are aftermarket. The RS6 has a more aggressive bodykit than the S6 Just like the M5 has it compared to the 550i's M-Sport

Indeed there are a ton of Audi wagons being sold here, they even outsell their sedan cousins.

Take a look at the S8, that thing is an absolute beast and destroys both the 7-series and S-Class AMG in terms of engineering. And that's with the old engine with 520hp Imagine what the new one can do with 605hp
European roads/streets are much narrower and the cities much more cramped so wagons make much more sense than SUV's. In North America we have much more room so SUV's sell well.

S8 and the S-class are very very different auto's so to compare them not really fair. The S8 is for wealthy people who like to drive while the S-class is more or less for people who like to be driven or just like to cruise. The S-class is much more luxurious and the ride is sublime while the S8 makes the S-class feel like a pig.

The same can be said of the S6 and the 550i. The 550xi feels real heavy and luxurious like the S-class while the S6 feels much lighter and much more nimble. While the M5 is faster it feels much heavier than the S6.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Regardless of the performance, the Audi styling is still too blah. They look like German Camrys to me. As for the S8 performance, that is somewhat of a one horse race - there is no "M7", although there IS a 760Li (V12) and an Alpina B7 (which also has 600 HP), not so sure the S8 would out perform both of those. Also, Merc has the S65 AMG - 621 HP biturbo V12.
Again, sales numbers reflect the F10 5 series and E class Merc far outselling the Audis. But I put little stock into sales numbers alone, in the US the Camry and Accord easily sell 10 times more than the F10, doesn't mean I want to drive one.
Each to his own regarding styling, I think they look really good.

As for the 760Li and S65, these two are more like cruisers, not really performance oriented. Im sure the S8 would beat them all though, S63, 65, 760 and B7. Remember the S8 is AWD, and MotorTrend ran the old S8 with 520hp to 3,5 seconds from 0-60. I dont think Benz and BMW can beat those numbers, as of yet.
Appreciate 1