2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Rear Brake pads needs replacing!!

12-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #1
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520D M Sport

Rear Brake pads needs replacing!!

Hello All,

So, I have about 3000 miles on my iDrive till the rear brake pads needs replacing.

1.What is everyones experience here?? Shall I go for the original BMW pads and get it fitted at the dealer or would you guys recommend a different make of pads and getting the job done by an indy??

or

2. Get a quote from the dealer and try to get the best deal off them?

P.S I get a corporate discount with Sytner.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Depends if the car is in warranty, if it is shop around the main dealers and play them off to get a good price

Otherwise its only pads so anyone can do them. I would use genuine parts though if its a newer car as they wont be a fortune
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Depends if the car is in warranty, if it is shop around the main dealers and play them off to get a good price

Otherwise its only pads so anyone can do them. I would use genuine parts though if its a newer car as they wont be a fortune
Theres still warranty on the car till next year Aug. I got quote from BMW service UK for £230 which seemed very pricey.

So I was a bit curious about how much people paid for the brake pads on their cars or what sort of a price would be a good price to settle with the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I bet you've got much longer than 3000 miles. It'll stop counting down soon and wait until it triggers the next sensor before resuming the countdown. Mine had about 6-7k left after it first told me I had 3k.
      12-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

I've been on 3200 on the front for nearly 16months now. In fact my rear have caught up, they were 19000 this time last year and now showing 3000.

I hoping they last until Mar then I'm p/x for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

That's interesting. But for some reason mine has been going down steadily. It goes down 100 miles every 2 weeks roughly.

The front ones as you guys said are stuck at 7000 miles since last 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi Dhruv

Not exactly sure but I read somewhere that on rear brake pads whoever does them needs to be able to disengage the electronic hand brake so limits the number of people that can do this job. If I'm wrong here please accept my apologies.

I had mine done at sytner this time last year and I am happy with the work and quality of the pads.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Don't believe the iDrive. Measure the remaining pad thickness the old fashioned way. The iDrive tends to overestimate in the dealers favour.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

^^^ what they said

My iDrive was moaning that I had only 3000miles left, there was at least 4mm left on both pads, i reset the service indicator and it gave a more realistic figure.

when i did end up replacing them I used Textar pads from Eurocarparts - they had all the exact same markings and looked identical to the 'OEM' ones I took off the car
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
Rat70fj
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i MSport

How do the Textar pads work? Do they feel the same? How about dust? I've been amazed how clean my wheels stay with stock pads as opposed to earlier BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:18 AM   #11
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi Dhruv

Not exactly sure but I read somewhere that on rear brake pads whoever does them needs to be able to disengage the electronic hand brake so limits the number of people that can do this job. If I'm wrong here please accept my apologies.

I had mine done at sytner this time last year and I am happy with the work and quality of the pads.
Hi Sp,

Yeah you are right I read it somewhere too. Thats one reason why I am a little hesitant, but then again from the dealer its £230 which is a bit dearer.

If you dont mind, how much did you pay for your pads?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #12
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
^^^ what they said

My iDrive was moaning that I had only 3000miles left, there was at least 4mm left on both pads, i reset the service indicator and it gave a more realistic figure.

when i did end up replacing them I used Textar pads from Eurocarparts - they had all the exact same markings and looked identical to the 'OEM' ones I took off the car
How do I reset the service indicator?

Also, the Textar pads and Brake pads sensor from Eurocarparts work out £65 (xmas code) which is to be honest brilliant.

I am inbetween here not able to decide whether to go to the dealer or just buy the above parts and get it done from a trusted indy.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I've been on 3100 miles on the iDrive indicator since March - 10000 miles ago nearly. You have probably got thousands more miles left on them.

Also, my BMW 535 (Dec 2014) has the service history in the car inside the iDrive. I bet an Indy can't update that when they've changed the pads.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv25 View Post
Quote:
Hi Dhruv

Hi Sp,

Yeah you are right I read it somewhere too. Thats one reason why I am a little hesitant, but then again from the dealer its £230 which is a bit dearer.

If you dont mind, how much did you pay for your pads?

Thanks
Hi dhruv

I paid £251 inc vat

Last December.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #15
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi dhruv

I paid £251 inc vat

Last December.

Sp
Thank you Sp
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #16
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Resetting the handbrake is simple, any Indy thats worked on any bmw which is reasonably new will know how to do it without any computer fudgery

I did mine on the driveway-
1. Remove wheel
2. Remove handbrake actuator
3. Remove calliper
4. Wind back the torx actuator in the handbrake actuator module by hand
5. Remove pads and sensor
6. Wind back piston on caliper (see YouTube for this)
7. Grease everything up
8. Replace pads + sensor
9. Remount caliper
10. Remount handbrake module
11. Check tightness of bolts etc
12. Mount wheel
13. Pump brake pedal
14. Lower car
15. Reset service light using buttons on dash cluster (see YouTube for this)

I caught mine before the sensor started to wear down so I didn't need to replace the wear sensor just careful when removing it.

It really is a bog standard easy brake job, no different really to when I used to do it on my golf apart from the added step of the handbrake actuator.

Key is to clean the car well beforehand, have good jack stands and trolley jack and chocks
Appreciate 2
Sp12349.50
      12-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #17
warmshed
Rep
Drives: bmw 520D 2012

I used the EPC ultimax OEM standard ones, very pleased with them. less dust. very easy to do. Cost £23incl vat.. If you change before the wear light comes on you can use the original wear sensor. About an hour to fit.
EBC are a high quality pad I have been using them on my BMW motorcycles for years.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automoti...10)-2010-/1625
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
bigshout
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
^^^ what they said

you shouldn't reset pads part way through the cycle. there a chance the idrive won't inform you of the correct thickness of the pad which could result in the pad wearing out wrecking your discs. It's also quite common for the car to throw up an error if you don't replace the brake sensor at the same time as the reset.

FYI my idrive states I have 2.2k miles left on my rears, it's been showing this for 6 months, I’ve checked and my pads are fine, just keep checking them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:12 AM   #19
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshout View Post
you shouldn't reset pads part way through the cycle. there a chance the idrive won't inform you of the correct thickness of the pad which could result in the pad wearing out wrecking your discs. It's also quite common for the car to throw up an error if you don't replace the brake sensor at the same time as the reset.

FYI my idrive states I have 2.2k miles left on my rears, it's been showing this for 6 months, I’ve checked and my pads are fine, just keep checking them.
Thank you for your reply!

Seems like theres still a bit of juice left on the pads. As you said, I did check the pads and they did seem to be ok. Will keep checking.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

The idrive will still inform you when the pads get low if you reset the system by providing you with the red warning.

The Idrive unit works on a countdown based upon factory determined usage rates and will count down and enter yellow warning as per this algorithm.

Once the pads are sufficiently low that the sensor wears against the disk (physically wears away/touches) then the warning sensor is triggered and the warning turns red.

Should you reset your system to increase the mileage avaliable (within the idrive whilst the yellow warning is showing) this has no effect on when the wear sensor will be triggered.
When the sensor actually strikes against the disk it will change the warning to red at which point the idrive displays that you have approx 1,000 miles to change the pads.

I've actually had this procedure undertaken for me by BMW Farnborough.

Beware thou once the sensor has touched (worn) against the disk and the idrive displays the red warning then during pad replacement you will need to fit a new sensor. Although personally I'd fit a new genuine sensor anyway.

The idrive is well known for not measuring the pad thickness, only expected usage based upon mileage/driving style/time since last replacement.

The best approach is to check your pad thickness, with the fail safe that once the sensor is clipped and the warning turns to red that you must change your pads.
Appreciate 0