2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Low Coolant?? I need advice

11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Low Coolant?? I need advice

Hey guys i just wanted to post this to get some peoples opinions on my problem. I drive a 2013 528i thats fairly new with just hitting 11k miles. I was driving the other day to work and all of a sudden it gave me a warning on the display that my coolant level is extremely low and to pull over to not cause any damage to the engine. I pulled over popped the hood and found the coolant tank almost dry.

I called my mechanic at the bmw dealer he told me to top it off and bring it in a week. So once i topped it off i marked the level the water was and a week after i took it to the dealer and noticed there was very little remaining in the tank again after i had topped it off. They ran numerous pressure tests for leaks and faulty sensors but it came out clean. All they did was top it off again and told me to keep an eye on it when i drive from now on.

I find it really funny how i pay so and so every month to drive a brand new car and yet i have to becareful when i go on trips and to take distilled water with me incase? what do you guys think i should do? Im thinking of taking it in again in a month for more pressure tests. PS im kinda new on this forum sorry if theres a thread or anything like this already posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Unfortunately there is no dipstick on these cars so the only way to check the oil is to get an oil change done, hopefully the coolant is not finding its way back into the engine or else you have a HUGE problem on your hands. Have you noticed any drips underneath the car? Popping the hood do you smell coolant (sweet smell)?

I find it a little hard to believe a dealership could not find a leak when its clear you are putting coolant in the system and it then finds its way elsewhere. Any simple pressure tester can find this. I would do as they say and keep an eye on it, if it goes down again I would bring it to a different dealership and ask for a pressure test & if that finds nothing then maybe perhaps an oil change to make sure the oil doesn't appear milky.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

There arent any stains in my garage when parked. My dad is a mechanic himself, has his own shop and everything. he can easily do some pressure tests himself but we rather leave everything with the dealership since it is their job. And as for a smell, i dont think there is a strong scent but ill remember to check again soon. One of the dealers told me its common for the new bmws to do this. And said you just have to top it off when it happens every time but i find that very hard to believe when you purchase a 60k car and cant go on a decent road trip without something happening.

The dealer stated they did a 20lb pressure test no leaks and thats a lot. So my only concern is it might be going through the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

Unless the leak was major you wouldn't likely see it on the garage floor. On my E60 the coolant would sit on the belly pans and never hit the ground. You definately need to insist that the leak be found the next time it runs low,
Appreciate 0