2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Debadging

03-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #111
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
Even if it was a factory option?

I think that in a few years, at least in Europe, you will have to specify the badge as an option.
No, at least in Germany and The Netherlands, the badge comes standard.
To debadge is an option. It is in fact the only option they won't charge you for.

Interesting, how people are occupied with what other people might think of 'em.
Me, I don't give a f. and I wear the badge with pride.
      03-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #112
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
No, at least in Germany and The Netherlands, the badge comes standard.
To debadge is an option. It is in fact the only option they won't charge you for.

Interesting, how people are occupied with what other people might think of 'em.
Me, I don't give a f. and I wear the badge with pride.
The 'pride' is in the '535d' badge I guess.

This is my 8th BMW and the first debadged, I did that because imo it just looks cleaner. But for example a 520d isn't a car to be ashamed of(au contraire), let alone the bigger engines.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #113
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawneyGet View Post
There were a few different reasons given by those who debadge;

1. Ashamed with small engine (mostly 520d)
2. Like the cleanliness (regardless of engine size)
3. Like the anonymity (regardless of engine size)
* Does sound like penis size. lol*

However, some guys here continues to generalise all those who debadge into 1. Is it because they feel they have accumulated enough experience and wisdom in their lives that they know it all already and those who claim to do it for any other reasons are lying or confused?
'They' claim that because its a source of satisfaction for them, having larger engines. If the small engine de-badgers did it for any other reason, 'they' could not obtain mental satisfaction.

I admit when I debadged my first smallest-engined car, it crossed my mind the 'escape' from the outwardly 'inferior' designation, but more to allow for a undistracted appreciation of the car itself. I had not debadged a previous mid/low-level-engined car, it never crossed my mind, why I do not know.
You could say the decision is a combination of the various factors, running concurrently and subconsciously. Only the answer pops out, and we are left speculating to the process that brought about that outcome (as we are doing now).
Now with my low/mid (2nd lowest of 4 available models here) 528i, I just could not stand having the stupid letters on the back of the car. Given that probably 1 in 10-20 bmws debadge here, it is still the minority choice, hence more 'trendy', another reason. A negative is the shared single side tailpipes (with the 523i), but if anything a rallying point for self-justification in my own non-class-ist belief.

I am conscious of the class-ist's viewpoint, but it did not outweigh the benefits in my particular case, hence the choice.

You could say it takes a class-ist to recognize one. But good thing is once you've realized that, you automatically move pass this static belief/worldview and become a non-classist. I've never bought the highest engine models of any car, If i could afford it, I guess I would get a better car first (eg. Panamera 3.6 vs 550i) but that is a preference. Do you like being a big fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a bigger pond? It's all a matter of mental make-up. None is 'better' or inferior, just reflections of our understanding so far of our limited life as humans.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #114
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

How did I stumble upon this thread? Oh well...

Disclosure: I don't have a F10. But if I did, I'd make off with a 528.

Love the look, but don't want the bigger engine, and I would debadge it. Especially if it's in alpine.

But I would not if it was a 550 (unless it was in alpine).

For both cars, however, the consonants have to go. And they can take their vowels with them too.

I suppose, this thread's logic can be applied to other (materialistic) things...this same notion can be seen in the type of handbag a woman carries. There are those with the "staus symbol" logo one (i.e. LV), or those that are true LV enthusiasts with no logo anywhere. The bag connoisseur already knows.

Look at shoes, for that matter. Christian Louboutin has become the "status symbol" because of his red sole. He's not the only one doing red in the business, but to don a pair makes a woman look/feel like they've arrived.

...Never heard of a woman "debadging" her Louboutins, or worse, her Hermes though...now that would be the equivalent of someone debadging their Bugatti, or Bentley, or...you catch my drift. There is a point it reaches where it seems ridiculous to even think such. You can always be subtle; stripping, on the other hand, is another dimension.

Badge, debadge....look, as long as you're not installing BMW headlights on a Nissan or slapping M logos on a 330. Or worse.

Nobody likes a pretender.
      03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #115
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

...lol at this thread. In the interests of keeping it going...

My view is that I am PROUD to have a 520 so WTF would I want to debadge it? A very astute company car choice, very low emissions, great spec and environmentally friendly. Hell, I'll tattoo it on my forehead even
I'll be very proud of my 520 when I get it. Could have had a 535 but why TF would I pay another £150 a month in tax to do that when the 520 is so good?

Can't believe what a superb car the 520 F10 is, even as standard. Cannot wait to get mine and out of my Passat. F10 is a different universe.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #116
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster View Post
...lol at this thread. In the interests of keeping it going...

My view is that I am PROUD to have a 520 so WTF would I want to debadge it? A very astute company car choice, very low emissions, great spec and environmentally friendly. Hell, I'll tattoo it on my forehead even
I'll be very proud of my 520 when I get it. Could have had a 535 but why TF would I pay another £150 a month in tax to do that when the 520 is so good?

Can't believe what a superb car the 520 F10 is, even as standard. Cannot wait to get mine and out of my Passat. F10 is a different universe.
Amen Brother ... FINALLY! Respect for the roundel
      03-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #117
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

With the oil prices now its a pleasure filling up he car and the computer says "reichweite 1157km"
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #118
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Awareness of the classist nature of reality allows one to transcend the class order.
It only exists to you if you care about it; others will always care about it, so to them it exists. You cannot change the world, or what others think about your debadged car, we can only change our perception (understanding) of it.
Like other forms of discrimination, there must be a match of beliefs between the offender and the victim, otherwise there is reality dissonance -it takes two to tango.
So we must not take offense, especially when it is intended, based on a number or member being larger or smaller. Such logic is based on the notion of superiority, which, even necessary sometimes, is but one passing phenomena - giving way ultimately to compassion, which come from (the) understanding (of phenomena, or reality).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #119
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

seems like to debadging is the most important philosophical issue Grimlock since someone wrote one saturday night "To bed or not to bed, thats the question!"
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #120
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

To de-badge, or not to de-badge .. is the question !
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #121
masti99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

My dear Watson, it is a mystery one must resolve...
Appreciate 0