2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Anyone want free downpipes? Looking for a N63 test car!

03-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #45
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
I am only going by opinion from the people I have talked to. Downpipe and methods will not go on my car for another three years when warranty goes out. Balancing act between mods and rusk of repairs not being covered. I have a cool dealership, but still have limits.

What I would like to see is someone with dinan stage 5 and all the Dinan goodies on a dyno versus bms state two. Then I would like to see more support from bms for tuning changes to boost and waste gate and then adding in things like Downpips, bad black custom high flow air filters (just the air filter for oem intake) and other things. I have found information from bms to be less than what my expectations are. Great product though.
If you want to throw your money in the garbage = Dinan
For half the cost, you get better performance and faster with a piggyback like Racechip, ActiveAutowerke8 and JB4 (which offers more maps for different fuel mixtures).
For a little bit more than piggyback or jb4 but still less than Dinan you can get an ECU Flash from your preferred tuner.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #46
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
If you want to throw your money in the garbage = Dinan
For half the cost, you get better performance and faster with a piggyback like Racechip, ActiveAutowerke8 and JB4 (which offers more maps for different fuel mixtures).
For a little bit more than piggyback or jb4 but still less than Dinan you can get an ECU Flash from your preferred tuner.
Yeah yeah yeah... Dinan sucks... I hear that all the time. Fact of the matter is their products are engineered better than ANYTHING on the market AND they dont void the factory warranty. The quality of what they make is unsurpassed and if someone has an engineering degree, they would observe that same fact when comparing other after market mods and what Dinan makes. I am not contesting the Tune portion of their products as I am sure they were limited on what they programmed to work with BMW engineers to prevent motor failure of boosting numbers too much. Not important to some, but important to others. Not to mention they are the only ones making an intake package for the car and their inter-coolers are an excellent upgrade (Again, I dont know of anyone making a larger inter cooler for this model)

My question and research is that I ALREADY HAVE the BMS stage 2 piggy back on the car with the Dinan intake, exhaust and inter-coolers. But no one has done the research (that i can find) of what boost and settings to put the BMS stage 2 to take advantage of the extra air intake and cooling of the air going into the engine.

Then, once the warranty goes out, there should be some information on how to hybrid the dinan proprietary add ons, the BMS stage 2, downpipes, High flow air filters and then a Meth kit.

No one makes a competitive hardware package for intake and intercoolers, I wish they did.

The objective is to have a daily driver which can be driven to the track and get great numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #47
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Yeah yeah yeah... Dinan sucks... I hear that all the time. Fact of the matter is their products are engineered better than ANYTHING on the market AND they dont void the factory warranty. The quality of what they make is unsurpassed and if someone has an engineering degree, they would observe that same fact when comparing other after market mods and what Dinan makes. I am not contesting the Tune portion of their products as I am sure they were limited on what they programmed to work with BMW engineers to prevent motor failure of boosting numbers too much. Not important to some, but important to others. Not to mention they are the only ones making an intake package for the car and their inter-coolers are an excellent upgrade (Again, I dont know of anyone making a larger inter cooler for this model)

My question and research is that I ALREADY HAVE the BMS stage 2 piggy back on the car with the Dinan intake, exhaust and inter-coolers. But no one has done the research (that i can find) of what boost and settings to put the BMS stage 2 to take advantage of the extra air intake and cooling of the air going into the engine.

Then, once the warranty goes out, there should be some information on how to hybrid the dinan proprietary add ons, the BMS stage 2, downpipes, High flow air filters and then a Meth kit.

No one makes a competitive hardware package for intake and intercoolers, I wish they did.

The objective is to have a daily driver which can be driven to the track and get great numbers.
I personally have DINAN Stage 2 on my car, along with BMS S1. After so many issues with DINAN (at one point they literally installed a placebo tune in my car which led to stock times at the 1/4 strip ), it's hard to keep my comments positive regarding them.

I used to believe that the DINAN & BMS were working together in the car. However, from the information I've gathered, it seems like the BMS is just simply much stronger. I will be dynoing the car very soon so we will see the numbers based on that. I can say though that the DINAN felt like a $3k waste that I can never get back (after numerous calls/emails to them, still no refund/return ).

Plus, from what others have said, it seems like DINAN doesn't really even break the DME software, its just a basic flash. I doubt it even guarantees the numbers of 500+ that they so claim.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
I personally have DINAN Stage 2 on my car, along with BMS S1. After so many issues with DINAN (at one point they literally installed a placebo tune in my car which led to stock times at the 1/4 strip ), it's hard to keep my comments positive regarding them.

I used to believe that the DINAN & BMS were working together in the car. However, from the information I've gathered, it seems like the BMS is just simply much stronger. I will be dynoing the car very soon so we will see the numbers based on that. I can say though that the DINAN felt like a $3k waste that I can never get back (after numerous calls/emails to them, still no refund/return ).

Plus, from what others have said, it seems like DINAN doesn't really even break the DME software, its just a basic flash. I doubt it even guarantees the numbers of 500+ that they so claim.
I can understand your frustration with that kind of history. My research has shown there was a single dealership in NJ that was either ripping people off or did not know what they were doing.

I have not seen a single person report back with a verified dinan stage 5 tune in their car with the other hardware pieces versus a bms stage 2 with same dinan intake, exhaust, intercoolers and then posting results would help a great many people make decisions in mods.

I am actually in conversation with dinan currently on that exact point. "Can we expect 582 ft pounds of torque with the compete stage 5 setup" and will you guarantee those numbers with a dyno?

I was able to acquire all my dinan stuff at 30 to 50% off brand new by shopping and searching. With my p3 gauge, I have the car down to 0-60 in 4.03 seconds currently running the bms stage 2 on the factory settings, 93 octane and 108 octane Booster.

But.... Can that number be reduced without throwing codes or doing damage?

Ultimately, THAT is what I would like to see. Since no one make intercoolers or intake (besides bad black), Can a set of specs be obtained where one of us could bolt in the intercoolers, intake and exhaust, add the bms stage two and then set the boost and waste gate settings to obtain reliable performance with errors or damage.

Or, will the stage 5 perform equally or close to equally as well? No one has confirmed a stage five tune installed and provided numbers.

This would out this debate to bed once and for all. Bms tweaked to optimum specs versus properly installed dinan.

And that is the question I am trying to scientifically answer for us all.

Then, when the car goes out of warranty, what are the best numbers with the most optimum downpipe and meth to again give you a daily driver reliability with super car like torque. Again without codes being thrown or things blowing up.

I would like to pit together a guide to add this part and that party. Put the settings to this and this and then duplicate an optimal setup for our cars.

Wish I could get bms, dinan and a tuner to help me get this done, but all on my own so far, lol

Just like the research I have been doing on M5 brakes to F10. Someone has to spend the money and document things to help everyone put.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 03-06-2016 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0