2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Tip-in, jerk, hesitation, operating as designed?

05-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #89
Ivo_205
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro

I test drove a 535i and did not experience any jerk/hesitation at all. Is it possible the hesitation just simply comes from the fact that the 530D has a diesel engine and the petrol versions do not suffer from this? Petrol is more volatile and burns a lot quicker than diesel, that's why diesel is more fuel-efficient but you can experience some lag when flooring it.

Also: from my point of view the idea that programmers want to be sure you mean to hit the gas when you actually hit the gas causes the hesitation/lag/delay or whetever you want to call it is total BS. When you hit the gas, the engine should respond immediately, keeping in mind there is a difference between diesel and petrol. People who cannot control their feet should not be driving.

It's like saying the programmers don't make the car go to the right when your turn the steering wheel to the right unless you pull it to the right for 3 seconds. Just doesn't make any sense.

As far as the 535i goes: cool car, nice to drive, not sure about the single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #90
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo_205 View Post
I test drove a 535i and did not experience any jerk/hesitation at all. Is it possible the hesitation just simply comes from the fact that the 530D has a diesel engine and the petrol versions do not suffer from this? Petrol is more volatile and burns a lot quicker than diesel, that's why diesel is more fuel-efficient but you can experience some lag when flooring it.

Also: from my point of view the idea that programmers want to be sure you mean to hit the gas when you actually hit the gas causes the hesitation/lag/delay or whetever you want to call it is total BS. When you hit the gas, the engine should respond immediately, keeping in mind there is a difference between diesel and petrol. People who cannot control their feet should not be driving.

It's like saying the programmers don't make the car go to the right when your turn the steering wheel to the right unless you pull it to the right for 3 seconds. Just doesn't make any sense.

As far as the 535i goes: cool car, nice to drive, not sure about the single turbo.
It's not engine lag in the sense of the actual turbo making power, etc.

For the sake of clear discussion, let's not call it lag. Let's call it a "lack of a linear response to the throttle pedal".
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #91
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's not engine lag in the sense of the actual turbo making power, etc.

For the sake of clear discussion, let's not call it lag. Let's call it a "lack of a linear response to the throttle pedal".
+1

Agree with the definition. Problem is, we have at least two signals, position and speed of pedal movement. I'm of the mind one can conflict with the other, in some circumstances. It then takes time to get the shift stategy sorted, let alone what happens the gearbox end. Still doesn't answer why some cars are worse than others.

Peter
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #92
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo_205 View Post
But with EPS this is how it is going. It responds primarily to the steering wheel torque and speed sensors, so easy to overreact, unless other parameters control the movement, like the damping and self centering features. Even some of the steering issues could be driver input, being less sensitive, hence possibly why some drivers just can't adapt to it. And why it feels all wrong.

I've looked very closely at the design of the EPS systems and the double pinion design with its paraxial servo unit, as used in the BMW F10/11, should be so precise, it should be faultless. But when you start adding the features which make it give certain responses, I see how it starts to lose its concept simplicity. Again the driver can give what appears conflicting signals, all has to be processed, before the steering can respond.

The designers say we shouldn't be able to perceive the response times, but I've a feeling the electronics are still too slow for our natural response in some instances.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #93
Ivo_205
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro

Still seems silly from my amateur point of view, but of course I'll take your word for it. Like I said I thought the 535i was precise and direct, didn't have any issues with it at all, although I did read quite a few posts here before testing it so maybe subconsciously I was expecting a HAL 9000 experience.
Appreciate 0