2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cruise control and headlight issues?

05-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Cruise control and headlight issues?

OK, I've just had my car for a few weeks now but immediately noticed that the lights on 'Auto' are permanently on. Day or night, light or dark.

My other concern was that the cruise control wouldn't cancel when I depressed the clutch. I took it in to have these items fixed today, only to be told that the car was still in 'transport mode' and the pre-delivery had not been completed .

Nice....

So, this afternoon I contact the dealer only to be told that the two original issues are still there, yet the vehicles transport mode is off. They're scratching their heads and I'm without a car for 5 days.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

I assume its not in day light running mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
JPHender
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528i, 2011 528i Sport

I've noticed the same thing. Automatic lights are on half the dime during the day. It can be mid day, blue sky and sunny out and they may be on. Rather annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Without a car?! Hello, new 40k car purchase, I'd expect to be driving the DP's car if they don't have any spares and the rest of the staff loaners are out!

And as for the PDI not being completed....Jesus I'd be all over Bracknell HQ by now...

Let me guess, Dick Lovett?
      05-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
idgam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: the wife mad!!!!!

I am not sure that the cruise control will cancel when pressing on the clutch. I have an E60 manual and mine does not disengage the cruise control when I depress the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Hmm, should cruise control disengage with a depress on the clutch?

At first glance, I would say no.

The brake should kill it, but the clutch? Is it not reasonable to shift into overdrive?

However, if the throttle does not drop when you depress the clutch then you will have problems...crunch!

Okay, I was wrong, maybe the clutch should kill the cc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgam View Post
I am not sure that the cruise control will cancel when pressing on the clutch. I have an E60 manual and mine does not disengage the cruise control when I depress the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
idgam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: the wife mad!!!!!

If you press the clutch and take it out of gear and release clutch it will kill the CC.

In my car I can actually change gears up and down whilst in CC. Perhaps i have had the fault for 3 years without knowing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, so I got the car back today. Apparently all is how it should be.

The key showed up transport mode, but not the car.

Regarding the cruise, it will stay active until you depress the clutch for a few seconds or as one of the posters said if you take it out of gear. All good.

Re the lights, on a poverty spec halogen 520D, there are no halo lights to be had as 'DRL's'. DRL option on the iDrive will put the lights on.

Regarding halos, that's to be found in putting the parkers on.

But.... the tech did say that one can upgrade the halos on a halogen model. He said it was a tough job, but they can be replaced. Now there's a project...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
Without a car?! Hello, new 40k car purchase, I'd expect to be driving the DP's car if they don't have any spares and the rest of the staff loaners are out!

And as for the PDI not being completed....Jesus I'd be all over Bracknell HQ by now...

Let me guess, Dick Lovett?
No, Dick Lovett were doing the fix up, though I bought the car somewhere else. I actually don't have an issue with DL. Are they known to be bad?
Appreciate 0