2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Jerking and Hestitation at low speeds
View Poll Results: Regarding the F10 problem of Jerking, Hesitation, Acceleration Delay... at low speeds
Never had this problem at all 24 33.80%
Used to have this problem but got it fixed through the dealer 3 4.23%
Used to have this problem but it got better over time or even disappeared 8 11.27%
Still have this problem 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

04-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Jerking and Hestitation at low speeds

Hi all,

A few threads here have discussed the issue of Jerking, Hesitation, OR acceleration delay.

I think it would be interesting to get some numbers that would show how common or uncommon the problem is.

Hope to see many participations.

Thanks!

Last edited by DuneMan; 04-14-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

In order to form an objective view, you should define which engine and transmission you're talking about. This has been an issue, but as far as I know, it's only affected petrol engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

I think its psychological -the product of drive-by-bit throttle + fuel efficiency maximising transmission program, and the uncompromising("its not me, its the car") driving mindset/habits
After a while of driving around sedately, I wanted to drive sporty again, but I found the car jerking a bit, as the current 'program' it was running (thank you HighlandPete) was for such a response. But as soon as I realized what was happening, I 'got' what the car was doing, and naturally your own behavior 'learns' to play well with the car.
There is no way out, unless you don't want any of the varying trans. programs etc. but that is not really possible with the 'Sport'/'+' settings..
The layers of technology and smart programs can be improved, but the settings are a 'mean'(average) for all drivers to share, there is just no individual adjustability if that is the way to solve it.
Granted, it may be a challenge for someone used to driving a different 'system' to adjust, however it is necessary, or the cars would never improve. To the bmw ppl who perfect this stuff, I think its close to perfect as you can get. The gap lies in we can not all drive like bmw ppl, perhaps they need to dumb it down a bit more.. we are not ready for their systems.

add: I can't find a category to vote, as I can cause the 'problem' when I want to, and can avoid it also.. so I can't call it a 'problem'. It's more like an 'effect'. Because we kind of understand why its there, and I'm not sure making it go away would be a good thing (you might get worse mileage, delayed emergency response etc. -everything is a trade off)

Last edited by grimlock; 04-13-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

It's not psychological. Unless the dealer re-setting the adaptive portions of the transmission re-set my psyche as well. Because the drive is a LOT better.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Exclamation driven for over 50+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I think its psychological -the product of drive-by-bit throttle + fuel efficiency maximising transmission program, and the uncompromising("its not me, its the car") driving mindset/habits
After a while of driving around sedately, I wanted to drive sporty again, but I found the car jerking a bit, as the current 'program' it was running (thank you HighlandPete) was for such a response. But as soon as I realized what was happening, I 'got' what the car was doing, and naturally your own behavior 'learns' to play well with the car.
There is no way out, unless you don't want any of the varying trans. programs etc. but that is not really possible with the 'Sport'/'+' settings..
The layers of technology and smart programs can be improved, but the settings are a 'mean'(average) for all drivers to share, there is just no individual adjustability if that is the way to solve it.
Granted, it may be a challenge for someone used to driving a different 'system' to adjust, however it is necessary, or the cars would never improve. To the bmw ppl who perfect this stuff, I think its close to perfect as you can get. The gap lies in we can not all drive like bmw ppl, perhaps they need to dumb it down a bit more.. we are not ready for their systems.

add: I can't find a category to vote, as I can cause the 'problem' when I want to, and can avoid it also.. so I can't call it a 'problem'. It's more like an 'effect'. Because we kind of understand why its there, and I'm not sure making it go away would be a good thing (you might get worse mileage, delayed emergency response etc. -everything is a trade off)
All I can say to the above is BS...! I have driven for over 50+ years everything from everyday cars to very high performance race cars and this problem is not normal. BMW needs to address this so that their reputation is not damaged on future vehicles.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Ict528i
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i alpine white

none of the above. i have no jerking. But I do have "some" hesitation. 2011 528i. March '11 build
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
In order to form an objective view, you should define which engine and transmission you're talking about. This has been an issue, but as far as I know, it's only affected petrol engines.
I thought about doing the poll per engine type and size. But then I relized I'd have too many polls or too many options. I wanted to make it as smiple as possible, to get a quick snap shot.

But I think you're right, it would be more informative if i did it per engine type.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ict528i View Post
none of the above. i have no jerking. But I do have "some" hesitation. 2011 528i. March '11 build
Good point... i update my post to say "OR"
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Maybe some cars do have an issue but I do know that if I am rough with my car's accelerator pedal the car can become a bit snatchy to drive but also if I am gentle with it and feed the power in it's smooth. Same goes for a manual car, if you let the clutch out sharp it isn't going to be a smooth start off or gear change.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
There is no way out
Next time, get a proper manual transmission!

Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's not psychological. Unless the dealer re-setting the adaptive portions of the transmission re-set my psyche as well. Because the drive is a LOT better.
Has there been a software fix yet, besides the reboot?
The placebo effect is very subconscious. When brought to our attentive, we find it hard to believe how suggestive we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
All I can say to the above is BS...! I have driven for over 50+ years everything from everyday cars to very high performance race cars and this problem is not normal. BMW needs to address this so that their reputation is not damaged on future vehicles.
All the experience is perhaps the 'problem', though I wouldn't call it that. You are used to, and 'want' a certain driving feel. But why do bmw make their cars this way? Everyone wants different things. The f10 steering is targeted to the average (more sedate than you) driver. So we could still be talking about this 10, 20 yrs from now, but then there would just be more to complain about. Too bad no car maker makes it the way YOU want it. Get a lotus. Bmw sells to soccer mom now.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Next time, get a proper manual transmission!

I want to learn, never had the chance. Maybe one day..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
I totally agree. BMW needs to get more testing, and programming under their belt to get these issues resolved before introducing the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Has there been a software fix yet, besides the reboot?
The placebo effect is very subconscious. When brought to our attentive, we find it hard to believe how suggestive we are.

All the experience is perhaps the 'problem', though I wouldn't call it that. You are used to, and 'want' a certain driving feel. But why do bmw make their cars this way? Everyone wants different things. The f10 steering is targeted to the average (more sedate than you) driver. So we could still be talking about this 10, 20 yrs from now, but then there would just be more to complain about. Too bad no car maker makes it the way YOU want it. Get a lotus. Bmw sells to soccer mom now.
There is one and only 1 reason that BMW is making cars this way. It is because they are being forced too with Regualtions and Rules that they have to meet.......or pay high fines, or be excluded from certain markets around the world. (True...they want the Soccer Mom business as well.)

Case in point. The new flatter nose design of the F10 / F11 (although good looking in my mind) isn't a result of a design theme that BMW wanted to pursue............but rather becuase of European standards now in place that minimize injury when hitting a pedestrian. Now I agree, that is a worthy endevor............but don't blame BMW on it. (Volvo's, Audi's, etc all have this new theme as well....most which are uglier in my mind than BMW.)

The same issues apply to all the efficiency and emmisions rules. Hence, Turbo's, Electric steering, Eight speed transmissions, Direct injection, Alternator clutches, Electric cooling fans, Stop start,.......the list goes on and on. Great technolgy.........but technology that has to rely more heavily on software and programming to run it. BMW would love nothing better than for the new 5 to feel like the car they made 20 years ago. But this increasingly becomes harder to do once you have all these gadgets. I still think they make a great car, the best on the road, but they are falling behind on the software and need to do better.

Sorry..........I will get off my soapbox.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
acsoup123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

I have found that the jerking issues have largely gone away as the car is now fully broken in (Oct '10 build, 550xi, 6k miles). I do notice, however, that if I am driving at fast/aggressive highway speeds, then come up on slowed highway congestion (which is common in Chicago) then it takes the trans. programming 30 seconds or less to "figure out" that I am in stop/go traffic then seems to adjust to that. Seems reasonable to me that there would be several programs to control how auto trans. should respond.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Good turn out... thanks to all that participated.

Is a trend developing that says you either have this problem or not? And that there isn't a fix for it so far?

let's keep in mind that many people with no problems at all might not feel the need to go online and join a forum that discusses such problems. So, the results don't necessarily mean that most cars sold have a transmission problem.

I think that fact the few say it got better over time is very comforting for the rest of us that have this issue.

Hope to see more votes... and if you got it fixed, please post "how"... if it was through software or by replacing a mechanical part.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
FG
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
Good turn out... thanks to all that participated.

Is a trend developing that says you either have this problem or not? And that there isn't a fix for it so far?

let's keep in mind that many people with no problems at all might not feel the need to go online and join a forum that discusses such problems. So, the results don't necessarily mean that most cars sold have a transmission problem.

I think that fact the few say it got better over time is very comforting for the rest of us that have this issue.

Hope to see more votes... and if you got it fixed, please post "how"... if it was through software or by replacing a mechanical part.
Mine was "fixed" by the regional BMW tech with a complete software update, but this was done once before and the fix only lasted about three weeks.
BMW keeps telling me that my driving style could be causing the adaptive tranny to behave this way,
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

FG, do you have any specifics like a software version number? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
FG
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChaffins View Post
FG, do you have any specifics like a software version number? Thanks
Sorry, I don't.. It was a complete SW re-load.
I was told that it's the latest SW and was released about two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG View Post
Sorry, I don't.. It was a complete SW re-load.
I was told that it's the latest SW and was released about two weeks ago.
Thanks for sharing FG... I think I'm going through the same process you've been through.

First time, my dealer did the throttle Adaptation reset, and the car was smooth for about a week. Then the same issues came back.

The second time, he uploaded the latest software for transmission. It was the latest version from BMW (ISTA/P 2.41.1), and was meant to resolve these throttle issues. It made things perfect for about 3 days, then it went back to it's old ways.

How long has it been since you got it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have the 550i M Sport and never had any of these or an other problems with this car, I also drove the f10 3.0 Diesel and that was just as good as mine
Not sure why but where are all these so called problems coming from?, I have owned 5 New BMW's and NONE have give a problem yet!!!!.
      05-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Interesting I have stumbled across this - I was test driving the 520d F11 and I had the same complaint. Putting it into sports mode will help.
Appreciate 0