2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dark Graphite (the original) and Dark Graphite II

09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Dark Graphite (the original) and Dark Graphite II

Can anyone post a side by side comparision of both colors? Anyone have the new color and care to share their opinions?

I read a rumor here that BMW might return to the original eventually when the additive is back in stock. How close are the two?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Can anyone post a side by side comparision of both colors? Anyone have the new color and care to share their opinions?

I read a rumor here that BMW might return to the original eventually when the additive is back in stock. How close are the two?

Thanks!
Also... does DG II show the same amount of swirl marks, as say a silver? Or does the paint lend itself to be more like black?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Also... does DG II show the same amount of swirl marks, as say a silver? Or does the paint lend itself to be more like black?
no one??? I wonder why this forum is not as popular as bimmerfest. Did i miss the memo?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I have Sparkling Graphite on my e90. Because it is darker than Titanium Silver, I do see swirls more, but it's not too bad. I'm not going back to Black cars though!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

I've ordered my B5 with original DG one week before the Fukushima thing happened, and finally got DGII as it takes about 3 months until BMW pre-builds an ordered car for Alpina for their own final assembly. See pics under "my Garage" over at bimmerfest (same nickname).

My guess is that in a side by side picture - if such a thing would exist - you probably wouldn't notice any difference. However DGII might look a tad darker under some lighting conditions, as the sparkle is less intense due to the smaller reflecting "flakes" in the paint.

No swirl marks on mine yet, strictly using car washes with textile strip brushes only (when really necessary), or just spraying the worst (bugs, dust, etc.) away weekly with pressured water in a DYI car wash bay.
If you ever go to a big car show with many different BMW's exhibited, you'll notice that the worst colors regarding swirl marks and fine scratches are clearly the dark blue ones and those with a blue hue like carbon black!