2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Pure Stage 2 Turbo Install is about to go down.

08-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #177
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill.i.on View Post
Stück, you stated on July 25th that Pure already agreed to ship out a replacement turbo, but now surprise surprise it might not need a replacement. You are an absolute fraud, you've never posted one single solid piece of proof that you have a Pure Stage 2 or many of the other F10 modifications that you claim to have installed. I think that you post pics of installed for other vehicles (because you work in a tuning shop) and then you pass them off like it's getting installed on your own car. You've wasted so much time and should honestly be ashamed for being such a phony. I hope you can prove me wrong... Post a video tour of your F-10, post some proof pics like you did of your garage remodel, post a log, post an email or invoice from Pure, post anything at all. You're active on this forum and others almost everyday, yet you always seem to be too busy or have some excuse to prevent you from posting something that actually proves even some of your claimed mods.
What the hell is wrong with you? Every photo I've ever taken of my F10 and/or anything I have done to it is located in one Photobucket gallery for anyone to thumb through, if that isn't sufficient for you well... hate to tell ya but I don't give a flying rats ass what you believe is on my car or not.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/JS...?sort=3&page=1
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #178
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I dont think Stuck is fraud. That's pretty harsh man. In any case Pure sent him a faulty turbo and he did post all the steps of what he did before concluding Pure turbo was at fault. I believe he's struggling with Pure and trying real hard not to bash them. Which is really nice of Stuck because that can quickly become a hateful post. There's no logs to post from a bad turbo. Pure needs to make things right posthaste.

Side note there's videos from ModBargin on instagram that posts a brand new M3 showing off their exhaust systems with smoke pouring out the exhaust. There's one on Pure showing a Camaro racing a Pure turbo M3 and at WOT smoke dumps out the back of the F80 M3. Thats a sign of early turbo damage.

Because of that it is very probable he got a faulty turbo. Remember upgrading wheels and not compensating housing or thrust bearings is going to cause faster wear. The smoke you'll see in these videos is because the bearing can't hang with 100k plus RPMs. You have to upgrade all turbo internals.

https://instagram.com/p/BW8I1qvBmbW/
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #179
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill.i.on View Post
Stück, you stated on July 25th that Pure already agreed to ship out a replacement turbo, but now surprise surprise it might not need a replacement. You are an absolute fraud, you've never posted one single solid piece of proof that you have a Pure Stage 2 or many of the other F10 modifications that you claim to have installed. I think that you post pics of installed for other vehicles (because you work in a tuning shop) and then you pass them off like it's getting installed on your own car. You've wasted so much time and should honestly be ashamed for being such a phony. I hope you can prove me wrong... Post a video tour of your F-10, post some proof pics like you did of your garage remodel, post a log, post an email or invoice from Pure, post anything at all. You're active on this forum and others almost everyday, yet you always seem to be too busy or have some excuse to prevent you from posting something that actually proves even some of your claimed mods.
I think you are smoking something! Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #180
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
I think you are smoking something! Lol
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #181
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
You think turbos are supposed to smoke? You guys are high. The more your turbo smokes the more power you make? You think that brand new M3 in that link I shared was supposed to dump a cloud of smoke on WOT? Your nuts.

You might be thinking of diesel turbos lol.

Tech tip for the day: Smoke out of the exhaust of a BMW is usually oil being burned in the intake. The oil gets in there from a bad turbo.
The other is coolant, but option B is less likely.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #182
747flyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 2012 550i M

Likewise, bashing is not a good policy, however, I am a firm believer upgraded turbos should always be to next higher OEM levels (if available, as I did on Alpina turbos with larger compressor section/exducer design and full internal upgrade). Fabrication shops do not necessarily have R/D tools or resources like Garrett Honeywell facilities.

Just an opinion.

Good luck to all
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #183
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Well I hope everyone has had as much fun today and I have.

I took the fabricated inlet over to my friends place on the other side of town to TIG it together, got it back home and cleaned up the interior of the tubing where the puddle poked through.

Here is one especially for Dollar Bill.

Inlet installed from the top:

Again but from the bottom:

Packaging constraints are an absolute nightmare, this job was nothing short of miserable.

18 hours over the course of 2 days in a 90 degree garage sweating balls. $200 in parts/supplies/materials/welding. One large laceration in my palm. Oh, and I'll need another alignment as I had to drop the rack for access and now the wheel is off.

and guess what

Guess....

Nothing different than before performance wise, the only difference is now I have a god awful intake resonance under load that sounds like a slipping vbelt on an old jalopy. I guess that is why BMW uses plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #184
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Ouch, I was really hoping you would say this has solved the low boost problem. That bend in the inlet our cars take is definitely a restriction.

On my 2013, that part is metal, so I am surprised you are getting such an audible difference. On inlet you made, on the side away from the turbo, is there enough surface to cleanly clamp to?

Below is pic of restriction in pipe from when I did my PS2 install, and the wrong inlet pipe I was sent that obviously did not work. I am interested in your progress.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #185
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

So is PURE just not compatible with F10's as of now?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #186
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
Ouch, I was really hoping you would say this has solved the low boost problem. That bend in the inlet our cars take is definitely a restriction.

On my 2013, that part is metal, so I am surprised you are getting such an audible difference. On inlet you made, on the side away from the turbo, is there enough surface to cleanly clamp to?

Below is pic of restriction in pipe from when I did my PS2 install, and the wrong inlet pipe I was sent that obviously did not work. I am interested in your progress.

I love would love to see videos/pics/dynos of your car. I'm debating upgrading to a 550i for more power but am very curious what my current N55 is capable of.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #187
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I can't say it isn't compatible, as I have told Stuck, Since installing my PS2, I haven't had the chance to fully troubleshoot why I don't feel I am getting the boost I would expect. I also live in AZ with very high IAT's right now, so this isn't the time of year to push for more boost.

I was thinking along the lines of having a boost leak or actuator not calibrated properly and I haven't ruled out those possibilities either. At 105 degrees ambient temp, I just have't brought myself to do this. I have only had a single quick conversation with Pure and they believe it could be a boost leak. Until I smoke/pressure test it I still have not ruled this out.

As for results, my car FBO, prior to PS2, made 336HP on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. I will dyno it again once I feel it is making proper boost. Prior to PS2, my best ET was a 13.9 @ 102.9MPH. After PS2 I did a 13.1 @ 110.67. This is a significant upgrade, but I still think there is a lot more potential.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #188
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post

On inlet you made, on the side away from the turbo, is there enough surface to cleanly clamp to?

You and me both. The stock inlet pipe is plastic regardless of the year. It is very solid plastic, but certainly not metal.

On the upper mounting point, it uses the same location and mounts securely with the stock rubber isolated washer.

Last edited by Stück; 08-07-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #189
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
If you closely inspect the OEM inlet you'll see there's a divot that almost looks like someone pressed their thumb on it when the plastic was hot. I believe that's there to reduce noise. You'll see weird pattern designs on the air intake too also which I feel is there to help with induction noises. Cheaper cars in some cases use straight up snorkels like helm holtz approach for noise cancelation.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #190
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

I think those dimples are for ample clearance of the thermostat and associated plumbing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #191
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
I think those dimples are for ample clearance of the thermostat and associated plumbing.
Did you have any problems with fitment using your pipe without the tight bend that is in the factory inlet?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #192
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

It *just* touches the thermostat casting nipple, which you should be able to see in the picture above. It doesn't push on or displace the thermostat so I don't expect an issue. I will be monitoring it over time for wear, at least I planned to, but I don't know wtf I'm doing now. I want to scream from the roof tops at this point, this entire turbo debacle is bs.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #193
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

So I got to thinking today about the screeching noise, the increased turbo spool noise makes sense but that noise really doesn't. Charles @ Pure was thinking the same. I found some material online of others (on totally different cars) having similar noises with aluminum inlets finding just the right resonance... but generally not much.

I thought maybe even though I'd double and triple checked everything I left something loose or disconnected in my physically exhausted state Sunday night. I figured I would take the smoke machine home from work and pressurize the charge system again with smoke post inlet fab and see whats up.

Almost immediately I had smoke wafting upwards on the hot side. I could not make out the source from the top so I dropped the splash pan to find this...

Huh.. those were nice and tight last night. As I looked at them closer... well shit they are actually broken! I looked around the other side of the subframe and saw the silicone coupler on the hot side charge pipe just hanging out loosey goosey.

Now I bet is where the noise is coming from.

After taking the car out last night after the inlet fab I thought the car felt peppier while warming up but I was only leisurely tipping into it. I didn't go WOT until I was on a freeway feeder and dropped from 6th to 3rd as I hammered down. That is when the screeching noise first happened and I'm willing to bet when the worm clamps let go.

I guess the worm clamps that come with the FTP Motorsport hot side charge pipe only like being tightened down the first time. The second time? Nah. The straps straight snapped the efff off.

I replaced both of the janky worm clamps with some 2.5" t-bolt clamps I had in my tool box from charge pipe fab of my old E30 and took her out for a spin.

The car felt quicker even in comfort mode. Once warmed back up (was only standing ~2hr so it did quickly) I came to a stop at a red light on a feeder road and waiting for the green. I held it in launch control anticipating the green and unleashed the beast when it turned. The car is much much faster than before, rolling off 1st to the point DSC steps in, and squealing the tires up into 2nd as it snaps neck on he uptake.

After screwing around for a few minutes I ran home to grab the laptop to get some logs for Alex MissionPerformance but on my way back out it started to rain. I drove around for a bit trying to find dry ground, finally did but by the time I was situated as to make a pull the laptop died... le'sigh. Weather looks like 50% chance of rain for the rest of the week too :-( Laptop is charging and I'll just carry it with me back and forth to work incase I get a window.

TLDR? Upsized inlet pipe brought forth many more boosts. Taiwan worm clamps not ready, such snap, much boost leak.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #194
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is very encouraging! (Fingers crossed for you!)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #195
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Well... Joy was short lived. I managed to make a clean pull on the way home. While the car certainly feels better and is faster than it ever has been it is far from where it should be. Boost target and actual are still miles apart.

http://www.datazap.me/u/jsarette/40m...?log=0&data=14

3rd gear averages about 14psi to 6100, then drops to 9psi by redline.

Upshift to 4th.

4th starts at 15psi and quickly drops to 8.5psi

Upshift to 5th

5th manages to spike into 17.5psi, and quickly drops to 11psi.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #196
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
You can see that delta in the request vs actual. wgdc is a value of 0. Is that representing a closed wastegate across the RPM band?

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #197
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

WGDC is fluctuating between 60 and 97% if you follow its curve, you must be looking at the wrong data tab. Its all over the place.

Alex has already reviewed the log and didn't have any hopeful input, better yes, but still not good.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #198
JakOG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i MSport

Pure turbos

Man

This story is the only thing stopping me going pure turbos in my 535i.
I'm not sure that anyone else does upgraded turbos for these things?
Appreciate 0