2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum CPO and Motor Failure

12-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

CPO and Motor Failure

BMW called and says "looking like complete motor failure"
CPO Warranty but damn. What now? Tu? A used one? I'm lost with head spins and stomach pains at the idea of my motor blown..

They have me in a crummy rental and have always footed the bill for the rental and repairs so it's been smooth so far but nervous.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

When the dealer broke my wife's N55 block under CPO we got a complete new long block.
Aftermarket warranty installed a pre owned N63 when I spun a bearing.

Under CPO replacement it should be NEW. I would verify with them for sure, all about turbos as well, spun bearing= metal = bad for turbos..
They won't upgrade to a TU if not already a TU.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
When the dealer broke my wife's N55 block under CPO we got a complete new long block.
Aftermarket warranty installed a pre owned N63 when I spun a bearing.

Under CPO replacement it should be NEW. I would verify with them for sure, all about turbos as well, spun bearing= metal = bad for turbos..
They won't upgrade to a TU if not already a TU.
Matt
So they still make non tu motors? For what though ? Makes no sense to build a failing motor
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creynolds View Post
CPO Warranty but damn. What now? Tu? A used one? I'm lost with head spins and stomach pains at the idea of my motor blown..

They have me in a crummy rental and have always footed the bill for the rental and repairs so it's been smooth so far but nervous.
How many miles? why did it seize?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

From intake maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman535 View Post
From intake maybe ?
Ahahahhaha you wish champ.
Not one problem with the intake nor did they complain
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Quote:

How many miles? why did it seize?
Well that's where my confusion is. It's not blown . No shredded metal in the pan lol.
Just a misfire in cylinder 6?
So after plugs and coils and injectors (all cpo)
They said they are still having misfire cylinder 6 under-load: and it's being leak down tested and compression tested the next day. Passed both. No signs of oil in the well. But looking at the plugs they installed day before they saw a lot of oil and believe it might be motor failure.
I said "failure to me sounds like doesn't work at all so what's your definition cause it wasn't blown when u got it? And what happened to testing of the dme since it runs fine under cold starts and idles okay until operating temps or in gear? And you were supposed to be having someone from out of town check it out? Is that not happening anymore ?

No answers till Monday afternoon sir
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Blown oil ring on piston possibly....

open loop vs closed loop
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

You will get a new long block N63B44A

That’s what I got when Bmw replaced my N63 in June. Still burn 1 QT of oil every 1.5-2k miles on the new motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Damn man that sucks Keep us posted
      12-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

That’s what I got when Bmw replaced my N63 in June. Still burn 1 QT of oil every 1.5-2k miles on the new motor.
I got the same longblock in 2015 when BMW replaced my engine. Hopefully its under warranty because parts and labor out the door is $30k
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:14 AM   #12
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

I got the same longblock in 2015 when BMW replaced my engine. Hopefully its under warranty because parts and labor out the door is $30k
Ya it's all warranty. ONLY PAYING 50$ plus tax lol
Called today to confirm everything more in depth .

They said "once we confirm exactly what is the failure we can definitively say that it's failed.(which) I guess is their way of saying "we Are pretty sure it's done for but before we give anything away for free we like to know where And why it happened."
And genuinely I would like to know as well. I can't seem to understand what would cause it to be a failure. Never had but one instance of overheating and I was actually leaving BMW dealer and went about 5 feet got temp notification and stopped dead in my tracks.

Also I stay with oil on hand and coolant. I have done everything to keep it pretty well kept up:

I asked about replacement motors because they don't make it anymore. They said they don't make it for new vehicles but they still make parts for it. If for some reason they were unable to have it on hand. Germany HAS TO make me one.
Could you imagine?
"Ya this is my Handmade BMW German engineered motor, built 1/1 by "hanz shnuedelbaker" ahahha

Either way. I'll keep people posted on exactly the process and paperwork so everyone knows for future reference or in Search Lookups.

Two Questions though.
Should I be concerned or asking about turbos possibly being damaged? And if there are other components I should be worried about.

I was considering selling mine because it still has such a good value under warranty and bmw assist and the low mileage (sort of 70k) and getting into a Standard shift M3/4/5/6 series or 550i standard shift.
With a brand new motor, breaks, rotors sensors, oil, coolant, and still under warranty, won't this be adding a lot of value to the car? Just cause the motor will be so low and the car still under warranty for another 30k?
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #13
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Typically people view it the other way, "what else is wrong with it".
Diminishing the value.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:21 AM   #14
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Diminishing the value.
Quote:
Diminishing the value.
I disagree.
Under warranty and has had to ccp completed and inside out immaculate. Literally if new motor ln You will still have 30k with of miles
BMW assist and Roadside
Bmw vallet Services.
Plus if if it breaks they r fixing it for an50$ deductible till 100kmiles (bmw)
And even better is the fact that it's got functional aftermarket codes from Carly and lighting /audio/intake mods
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
lawjai
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Quote:
Diminishing the value.
Quote:
Diminishing the value.
I disagree.
Under warranty and has had to ccp completed and inside out immaculate. Literally if new motor ln You will still have 30k with of miles
BMW assist and Roadside
Bmw vallet Services.
Plus if if it breaks they r fixing it for an50$ deductible till 100kmiles (bmw)
And even better is the fact that it's got functional aftermarket codes from Carly and lighting /audio/intake mods
Honesty. Coming from a average guy"s view. I would see the car with replaced engine or major part less valuable than normal car. One would think this specific car is prone to issues. For some reason, cars with issues will continue to have issues down the road. It's just a luck thing, but I would see the car as unlucky in some way.

Nothing against. But that's just my view.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #16
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

An engine replaced car will have diminished value on the general market. That’s a given. To the right buyer, it’s worth something, but that goes with everything. In retrospect, people see it as: Things were moved and touched that normally aren’t and that raises the potential risk of failure. My new engine doesn’t run the same as the one prior to it. Its noisy and burns more oil than my previous engine and bmw deems it normal.

To your turbo question: they won’t replace it if it’s within tolerance. I bought my own Turbos and had them put on when putting everything back together.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #17
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Maybe it's the salesman in me but I think I could pitch the benefits.
Traditionally I would have to agree with your perspectives on hints being weird once switched. Even with service stations and mechanics.

Yet this is a BMW corporate Job, under warranty with detailed receipts and history. If they can't find the Motor Germany has to make me one! Hand Crafted 1/1 one of a kind Motor, with all the power it's known for and the unreliability removes. No customer care package necessary with all the updated parts that would be used. Hey and it's coming from directly the best possible people that could instal it n build it, bmw.
Also it will be the opportunity to have that level of comfort of knowing your the first owner of his motor. You can maintain it to the level you prefer and know it's been kept at that level since the beginning!!

Side note I be pissed if my Motor didn't feel right. I've had almost 20+ grand in repairs this year because I just keep pointing more out so I think they would be scared of it wasn't perfect. They probably r ready to get me gone lol
Appreciate 0