2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Couple of oil change questions

12-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
FiverJ
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Couple of oil change questions

So I changed the oil myself today for the first time on my 535i (n55). I've done it a lot on Gina's and Toyotas. A couple of things /questions I have now:

1. The drain plug never really felt tight. I used a new copper washer but it just never felt tight like I'm used to. I stopped wrenching it to avoid stripping the threads. No leaks yet. Is this normal?

2. [IMG]undefined[/IMG] when I try to reset the oil reminder I don't get the menu I expected from watching a you tube video on it. Anyone know what this menu is and how to get to the "normal" one where I can reset the oil reminder?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I'll help you with the 2nd question. Although...you generally should do due diligence in searching for the answer. It has been asked and answered many, many times.
  1. Without stepping on the brakes, PRESS the START button once.
  2. Wait for the TIME to appear.
  3. HOLD in the RESET button on the dash. Keep holding it in until the first reset variable shows up.
  4. PRESS & RELEASE the reset button repeatedly until the service you need resetting appears then...
  5. PRESS & HOLD again until a "Reset?" prompt appears.
  6. PRESS & HOLD one last time until you see the prompt indicate that it's resetting.

Done!
Appreciate 3
      12-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Mboldn
Rep
Drives: 'em Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugellos View Post
I'll help you with the 2nd question. Although...you generally should do due diligence in searching for the answer. It has been asked and answered many, many times.
  1. Without stepping on the brakes, PRESS the START button once.
  2. Wait for the TIME to appear.
  3. HOLD in the RESET button on the dash. Keep holding it in until the first reset variable shows up.
  4. PRESS & RELEASE the reset button repeatedly until the service you need resetting appears then...
  5. PRESS & HOLD again until a "Reset?" prompt appears.
  6. PRESS & HOLD one last time until you see the prompt indicate that it's resetting.

Done!
Good timing, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

As far as the oil drain, I always use a torque wrench when working with oil drains. 30 ft lbs, I never noticed a different feel, but my torque wrench is rather large.
Appreciate 1