2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 pulling to the right...

06-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #683
es1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

owner from Houston fixed his PPTR

Check this link out. This is how one owner in Houston fixed his PTTR issue. It may help you guys.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=right
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #684
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Does the pulling to the right happen all the time? Like 100% of the time or it happens only every now and then?

For me, I noticed that there are times my car tracks straight and there are times it pulls to the right. I'm trying to figure out of its due to the camber of the road or I am suffering from the pull to the right issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #685
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealbert View Post
Does the pulling to the right happen all the time? Like 100% of the time or it happens only every now and then?

For me, I noticed that there are times my car tracks straight and there are times it pulls to the right. I'm trying to figure out of its due to the camber of the road or I am suffering from the pull to the right issue.
If you can run a flat road and run straight, then it is most unlikely you have steering pull.

My F11 has slight camber sensitivity, so I'm aware of bad camber. On a flat road I can let go of the wheel and the car tracks perfectly straight, with the steering wheel exactly in mid position. No pull or drift at all.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #686
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

^+1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #687
macastel
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT LAW
I have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with BMW North America since I bought my new 2015 550 in December.

It has been pulling hard to the right since it was delivered.

It has been in the shop 6 times now and numerous parts were ordered and installed. The car still steers to the right today.

BMW NA claims it is absolutely perfect and there is not a problem. They closed their claim. I re-opened it. I am waiting for their rep to come to our dealership.

This is unacceptable for an $80,000 vehicle. BMW NA has been absolutely horrible to work with. If they decide there is not a problem, they just close their file. This DOES NOT fly with me. I have owned 6 new BMW's over the years.

I have to say, my 550 has been the absolute worst vehicle I have owned. And dealing with BMW has made my experience even worse.

This has been going on for nearly 7 months. I have been paying for an $80,000 vehicle which drives like a 10 year old Honda.

I have owned 3 Range Rovers with significantly fewer mechanical issues and much better service from Land Rover.
Hello: I saw your post in the other forum. Very curiuos if you have been able to fix issue. I also have a 2015 550i And it pulls to the right.

I am going to start the process by making an appointment with my local dealer so I want to be prepare.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #688
carnut65
Rep
Drives: 535i Xdrive MSport

First off, huge thanks to all those that have posted their experience and especially the 'fixes'. I dropped off my '13 (July '12 build) 535i w/X at my dealer this morning after having shared with them a bunch of key details from this thread as well as the one over at 'bimmerfest'. Since purchasing the car CPO several weeks back, I notice the problem. What the dealer tried earlier was alignment (turned out that BOTH their alignment racks were out of spec) as well as swapping front left/right tires. No good. Not sure if the tires were ever returned to 'original' sides. Shop senior tech as going to research. Drove the car before leaving with him, this time he mentions that he's seen this problem in many F10s in the past...didn't tell me that a few weeks back. He states he's opened a case with BMW corp and that they've provided a list of things to try, starting with clear/reload all software inclusive of the patch for this problem. After driving the senior tech refers to the problem as 'slight'. Interesting, if drifting into right land/off the road after ~5 sec is 'slight'. Glad I'm not 'severe'. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #689
carnut65
Rep
Drives: 535i Xdrive MSport

update: Dealer was instructed by BMW to apply SW update "conversion program for straight ahead driving". This is did not fix. Supposedly BMW corp had no further instructions. The two senior techs got together and cam up with adjusting tie rod ends. 1 degree clockwise drivers side + 1 degree counterclockwise passenger side. Also rechecked via alignment rack.
There's an improvement. However, the car still drifts slightly unless under the very best of road surface conditions. Senior tech says he's doesn't know of any further adjustment to make nor making further tie rod adjustment. It's the 'very sensitive BMW steering'.......not sure I'm gonna be a 100% happy camper....
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:35 AM   #690
duglas
Rep
Drives: 520d black

Pulling to the right gone

I had problem with pulling to right, in my case the pulling stopped when i switched to summertires the car goes straight as an arrow with no pull at all.Now when i had to put wintertires back on again it pulls all the time to right.
.I also had it to dealer (when wintertires was on) did angliment and replaced a tie rod without helping to stop the pulling.But when on summertires i can let go of the steeringwheel and car runs completely straight.
So in my case it is all about the tires.
I also run 10mm spacers in front on summersetup ,but dont know if thats the reason it goes straigt on summersetup.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #691
trivettx
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i 6MT Jet Black

I don't log in much & see this thread is still pretty active. For more info read my edited post here dated 9/14/14.
Attached is my RO-- finally fixed my PTTR after multiple visits, arguments about camber, and headaches. Not sure if it will help anyone, but just516in's RO is what finally worked for me (and interestingly, we had the same SA!). So I'm happy to pay it forward if I can!
Attached Images

01-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #692
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Recalibrated Steering Rack

on my wife's 528 they recalibrated the steering rack
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #693
ntuner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
There is a SIB for this. It is a software straight ahead conversion for steering.
Can someone post the SIB number or actual PDF please ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #694
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
There is a SIB for this. It is a software straight ahead conversion for steering.
Can someone post the SIB number or actual PDF please ?
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102085

My original paperwork with SIB is in that thread.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:15 PM   #695
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarini View Post
Feel my pain as i feel yours folks

I made this today... bought this car second hand 3 weeks ago its a 2010 530d... test drove it around the dealers a bit did not feel it... only came to feel this on the highway the other week... did 2 wheel alignments... one at a tire company 2 weeks back did not fix nothing did another one at the BMW dealership 3 days back its exactly the same...

Then found this thread if i only knew this 3 weeks back i would test the car looking for this... and would not pick it up. Period!!!

I mean WT.... I come of a E90 330d had bought it used had it for one year ran on summer setup mixed 18ns and winter setup classic 17s and nothing.... straight!
Then crashed the thing hard in the back of the car completely smashed front chassis had to be a bit realigned and after getting it back quess what went straight as an arrow!!! Hands of steering same speed e90 tracked perfect straight on the same road the video above was shot....

that all i can say...

L
Hi I have the same pulling to the right issue on a 2013 F10 M5.....do these fixes below only apply to the F10 5 series or to the M5 as well?

" http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549373

"Mine was completely solved. It can happen. I had it as bad as that video.

1. Software update
2. Rotate springs (not struts, there are no struts).
3. Replace upper steering column.

1. ’Straight through conversion’ software update
2. Rotate struts + alignment
3. Replace power steering rack + alignment "

"Turns out that this problem is well known to BMWNA. There are three fixes.

1. EPS software patch. This supposedly adjusts the way the EPS responds to the forces from road crown.

2. Spring rotation. This affects how the car responds to crown and bump steer.

3. Steering column. Rumored to have a batch manufactured that was not within BMW's tolerances. Supposedly it has something to do with the torque characteristics of the column and it's resistance to being pulled by bumps and road crown. New part was installed as of August or September 2010 production. "
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White

Last edited by steeve13m; 12-01-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0