2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Welcome to the BMW Performance Center...

03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Welcome to the BMW Performance Center...

Appreciate 4
      03-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

[VIDEO] Welcome to the BMW Performance Center

Nice video about BMW Performance Center
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
schummiking
Rep
Drives: G87/G05 X5 M50i/F80(Sold)

Awesome, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Not yet, time to go...
      03-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Juan35i
SSG
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2021 BMW M2 Como  [10.00]
I want to!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
WillyBeamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i m sport BSM

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [9.00]
Where is it located?

Ig handle willybeamin305
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBeamin View Post
Where is it located?

Greenville SC

I picked up my E92 there. It is worth the trip.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

bmw opened up another one in california recently as well
      03-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Definately worth it. A great day of driving, factory tour, off roading, lunch and then getting your car. Sweet deal.

Drive home was fun too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94marcus
Yes indeed with California weather as a fantastic side show.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94marcus
They started performance schools at The Thermal Club, but no deliveries are being done there yet. I'm hoping that they will start taking deliveries by the time I get my '16 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Brings back good memories! It's was a great experience. My wife is not a car person at all but she couldn't stop talking about it either. It was first class all the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
GoDucksYellO
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2015

I've been twice. Worth every penny. Highly recommend it. Second time I went I took my niece to the teen school. She used the skid pad skills that winter to save her life when snow/ice caused the car to start to spin towards a tree.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I actually have been twice. Apologies in advance for the long story.

I've been fortunate in my career that I was invited to come out by one of our business partners not once, but twice. I work for a company that distributes product in South Carolina, a few exits further north on the I85 from the BMW plant. I've always been a motoring enthusiast so when I heard our vendor had a contact at BMW that was going to set this up, I jumped at the opportunity. Our experience might have differed from others as we didn't pay for the trip, but rather we were corporate guests. I understand our experience might have been a bit more unique in nature.

First we arrived at the museum. We had about 20 minutes to look around and check out the exhibits. The first time I didn't see much because I was checking out the restroom exhibit. Let's just say I had a few libations the previous night and might have been paying the consequences the following morning. Immediately after we were set up with a tour group to see the plant. I've worked in a company that manufacturers product at this point for about 5 or 6 years. Nothing could quite prepare me the size and scope of the automation of manufacturing cars. We were asked to place our cell phones and cameras in a bag as security would hang on to those during the tour. The tour guide then distributed a device that you placed in your ears that basically had a box that would uncomfortably rest on your throat/chest. Paired with the safety glasses that you had to wear, we were a fashionable bunch. Turns out the box was actually a radio so you could hear the tour guide. Sections of the plant would be too loud to actually hear what's going on without it. Going through the plants and watching the robots weld, paint, and assemble the cars were incredible. In comparison, our manufacturing felt like we were in the business of banging rocks together, but whatever, different industry. What might have been more impressive was the level of detail and care workers put into the creation of these vehicles. You could tell many of them took pride in their work.

After the tour wrapped up we got a ride to the performance center, which was essentially across the street. Again, when we arrived the first thing I inspected was the restrooms. At this point we were given lunch. I think I was last to receive a sandwich but I'm positive I was the first to hammer this thing down. Not sure I took the time to actually taste it but I needed to beat this hangover. While eating we were given forms to sign. I assume it basically amounted to a release that said if I kill myself, it's my fault as a terrible driver and not BMW's fault. The pen was a ///M branded pen. I signed the form and annexed the pen into my possession. Now for the fun part.

We were asked to split into two groups. First group would go on the track, second would go off-roading. I was part of the first group so we headed to the track. There were a line of cars outside and we were given a brief history and asked to choose 5 cars. Obviously we took the M models, specifically a M3, M5, M6, and X5M. The last car was up for debate. It was between a 7 series and a 135i. I wanted the 135i, everyone else wanted 7 series. I reminded the group that we're not choosing a car to take home and that we'll be on a track. Lighter is better; the choice was clear. The team huddles and agrees that I should shut up, we're taking the 7 series, and if I want a ride back to the hotel, I'll go along with this.

Everyone linked up with a partner so we get into the cars and find a radio in the door. The instructor would give us tips and instructions through the radio as we drive. We're told the rules such as leaving stability control on and was asked to keep the car on pavement if possible. We go through the course at a slow speed initially so everyone knew which direction to go. The instructor then parked in the middle of the track and we were off! He staggered the cars so we wouldn't run into each other, but some were faster than others so at times we had to let off. I'm pretty sure I saw one of my coworkers use a turn signal at one point. While driving the instructor gave us tips on when to brake, when to get on the gas, how the line was looking etc. After a few laps we got out, switched cars, and repeated. Eventually we drove all 5 cars. At one point we were in the M6. We took a few laps then I switched seats with my partner so he could drive. At which point we saw "transmission failure" on the idrive screen. Ruh Roh. We just broke a car which has a transmission that costs more than the average new car transaction price. I fear we're going to get a bill so I'm already thinking of excuses. At one point I wonder if I can actually run across the track to freedom but remember its 95 degrees and extremely humid. The bill is preferable. We call it in and we're told to hang on. We literally hear a car peel out from the car barn, then watch it powerslide through the entire track to our location. He slides it right in front of our car perfectly, gets out and says "take this one". We grab our gear and switch cars. No other mention was made of the car that broke.

After this we switch with the other group that just finished the off-road course. There are 5 x5s waiting for us. Four have 6 cylinders, we quickly "claim" the lone V8 laughing at the other chumps. At first I feel proud that we swiped that higher HP SUV, but shortly after we realize we're not actually driving above 15 mph. Hallow victory. I've never actually been off-roading (well, not intentionally) so this was a completely new experience. We go through the trail which includes crazy inclines, crazy declines, and basically a river that you drive through. It rained most of the day so this pool/river was at capacity. We're just asked to "not open the doors". This actually might have been more memorable since I've been on tracks before. Never have I drove a $70K+ car off a paved road.

The final part was the "hot lap". This is where you get in a M5 with one of the instructors and he shows you how to go through the track. We get in and he asks how did I feel about my lap, the speed, control, etc. I tell him I felt really good about it, especially in the short amount of time I was on. Of course I felt like the hero. Not sure I ever went from "hero" to "bitch" in such a short amount of time. We went though the hot lap and of course the instructor was a champion. The interior door handle might permanently have an imprint of my hand. I never let go over it. OK so I clearly lost that round, but then again I work in an office. If there is ever an excel spreadsheet competition between him and I, I guess we'll go double or nothing.

Afterwards we were all riding high. We took a group photo for the company archives and had a great experience with one of our business partners that I'll never forget and will always appreciate. We met with some of the management at the plant and I remember one question was asked "how many people go through this experience and end up buying a BMW?". He said he didn't know, they didn't actually measure this. But the answer is at least one. I ended up selling my S2000 and buying a new BMW a few years later, solely because of my experience here.

PS: A few years later we went back and did it again. It was our vendor partner's 25th anniversary of being in business and they wanted to treat us again. One of the instructors comes up to me and asked "you've been here before, right?". Oh no. That M6 we broke? They've been looking for me. I have panic in my eyes but turns out he just wanted to say "welcome back".
Appreciate 5
Wild Blue3682.50
      03-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

I wanna go. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

I should be taking delivery next week, and I already regret not doing PCD.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #17
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Yup and I have the shirt to prove it!
      03-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I'm waiting for the thermal one to open!!!! But I already got my f80 delivered...

My only experience of something similar was the ford boss track attack. It was held out in Utah, miller motorsports park. And ultimately I believe it was more track oriented than the Bmw performance delivery and more inline with the M school. Your greeted by your very own boss 302 track prepped with your name on the window! And I got a lot of one on one with a factory porsche cup driver! Not to mention the off-road is w/raptors and not w/SAV'sThat was unforgettable and I would love to see what Bmw has to offer!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

highly recommended for all BMW enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

I actually take delivery of my F32 at the Performance Center in South Carolina later this week. Can't wait!

I've had track time before at Barber Motor Sports Track, but am looking forward to this red carpet treatment.

Most of all, can't wait to see my wife on a track! Thinking of staying an extra night in order to not just drive back in rush hour traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #21
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Did PCD in October of 2014 to pick up my F80. First class event. Can't wait to do it again.
M school here I come.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #22
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
The ///M school in Spartanburg was really fun. The factory tour and museum was cool. For the money (M school is pricey) you could get more out of a local driving/track day but it's worth going at least once.