2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum retro enable of RTTI ?

08-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

retro enable of RTTI ?

Anyone know if RTTI can be retro enabled on vehicles with pro nav ?

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/news/

MS
      08-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Very interesting; I've just checked my Sep '10 built car and I get a display exactly as depicted on your link. TBH it's not a feature I've used before, so I can't say whether the triangular icon has always been there or if it's suddenly appeared in conjunction with the new version of 'connected drive'. However, the list of traffic info appears to be very comprehensive, but I've no way of telling how accurate it is.
Considering that it's info sent to the car from 'connected drive' it might well be the case that all cars with pro-nav can receive the updates, regardless of build date.
I suggest that you have a look at your screen and check whether or not it matches the picture on the web-link; please let me know what you find - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
Anyone know if RTTI can be retro enabled on vehicles with pro nav ?

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/news/

MS
Cannot cos the parts are different. This new system have built in GSM+simcard which communicates with mobile networks to obtain traffic data. It's not the plain RDS-TMC type.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Very interesting; I've just checked my Sep '10 built car and I get a display exactly as depicted on your link. TBH it's not a feature I've used before, so I can't say whether the triangular icon has always been there or if it's suddenly appeared in conjunction with the new version of 'connected drive'. However, the list of traffic info appears to be very comprehensive, but I've no way of telling how accurate it is.
Considering that it's info sent to the car from 'connected drive' it might well be the case that all cars with pro-nav can receive the updates, regardless of build date.
I suggest that you have a look at your screen and check whether or not it matches the picture on the web-link; please let me know what you find - thanks.
Jon

I get the traffic info etc in the text box with the various warnings of delays etc but what i dont get (which is not that easy to see on the BMW site) are the green, amber, red lines on the maps showing the flow of traffic. The traffic on my map is just indicated by a series of arrows depending on the length of queue. This is apparantly the difference between TMC and RTTI

MS
      08-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Cannot cos the parts are different. This new system have built in GSM+simcard which communicates with mobile networks to obtain traffic data. It's not the plain RDS-TMC type.
My system does have a SIM card to deal with BMW Assist etc ?

MS
      08-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My system does have a SIM card to deal with BMW Assist etc ?

MS
No, this is a different system. It communicates with mobile operators base stations (i.e. voda, 3, orange, t-mobile etc) & it uses those data to work out realtime traffic.
That's the info I got from BMW Germany's press release.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...ned-30487.html
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Jon

I get the traffic info etc in the text box with the various warnings of delays etc but what i dont get (which is not that easy to see on the BMW site) are the green, amber, red lines on the maps showing the flow of traffic. The traffic on my map is just indicated by a series of arrows depending on the length of queue. This is apparantly the difference between TMC and RTTI

MS
Ah yes, I see what you mean and, on reflection, I note two significant differences between my system and that which is depicted on the web-link - 1. the different road colours, as you point out and 2. the triangular screen icon is amber, whereas mine is white.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
No, this is a different system. It communicates with mobile operators base stations (i.e. voda, 3, orange, t-mobile etc) & it uses those data to work out realtime traffic.
That's the info I got from BMW Germany's press release.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...ned-30487.html
So are we saying you need 2 SIM cards ?

MS
      08-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Mine is a Oct 10 car with Pro Nav and i get the RED triangle for Traffic - with the roads marked in red and amber on the side of the road that are busy. I'm not sure if this only works if you have a route set. So it maybe RTTI or TMC(indicated on the map display)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyUK View Post
Mine is a Oct 10 car with Pro Nav and i get the RED triangle for Traffic - with the roads marked in red and amber on the side of the road that are busy. I'm not sure if this only works if you have a route set. So it maybe RTTI or TMC(indicated on the map display)
Thanks for the info

Any chance of a screen shot ? .... also have you had a recent dealer visit where it may have been updated ..? ..... can you let me have the version (numerical) of your nav software

Cheers

MS
      08-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

I believe mine is the standard BMW enchanced TMC service. You need the Trafficinfo/Greyscale box ticked in navigation/options to see the traffic info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So are we saying you need 2 SIM cards ?

MS
Only 1 i think. BMW didn't say it needs 2. Anyway this sim w/RTTI system is embedded into the system so it's included already.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyUK View Post
So it maybe RTTI or TMC(indicated on the map display)
RTTI & TMC are the same things (US market calls TMC RTTI). RTTI is the name of the feature & TMC is the underlying tech. Wht's new is the new enhanced RTTI which doesn't use TMC data, now this system is also called RTTI in Europe.
RTTI enhanced will start production from 9/11 onwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

do you know if this is really a 'production' [ie parts needed] thing as my car has been built and is on the quayside waitnig delivery in september. Its has the full pro nav/telematics and internet option but I would appreciate this feature and would be royally hacked off if I have missed it by a couple of weeks. surely this is a software verion thing for all nav/tele cars.

On the point. I have read that software updates for some things are driver install using the usb port. Does anyone know if this methodology is applied to this kind of change,if it is dealer only, or even and perhaps more interestingly comes over the air via the gsm built inito these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVI View Post
do you know if this is really a 'production' [ie parts needed] thing as my car has been built and is on the quayside waitnig delivery in september. Its has the full pro nav/telematics and internet option but I would appreciate this feature and would be royally hacked off if I have missed it by a couple of weeks. surely this is a software verion thing for all nav/tele cars.

On the point. I have read that software updates for some things are driver install using the usb port. Does anyone know if this methodology is applied to this kind of change,if it is dealer only, or even and perhaps more interestingly comes over the air via the gsm built inito these cars.
Unfortunately, the new system won't be fitted to cars until 9/2011 production. Again, it's a hardware change & not merely a software change, & judging by the speed of recent introduction of new retrofit kits by BMW, I cannot see them offer this as a retrofit anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, the new system won't be fitted to cars until 9/2011 production. Again, it's a hardware change & not merely a software change, & judging by the speed of recent introduction of new retrofit kits by BMW, I cannot see them offer this as a retrofit anytime soon.
Out of interest can you give a breakdown of the hardware that is changing ?

Thanks
      08-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Out of interest can you give a breakdown of the hardware that is changing ?

Thanks
Not sure yet, not until 9/11 version of ETK gets released, but the best guess is a new combox & maybe a new CIC revision.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d GT

Some new combox (3G version) is already available to order. All current cars are equipped with EDGE version (in case of built-in modem)
Appreciate 0