2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW 5-series or Cayenne S (serious question)

08-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

So I was pretty much teed-up ready to pull the trigger on a 550xi or 535xi...test drove them both, felt the 535xi was way more a driver's car...and all options in, the Cayenne is only 10-15 K more expensive...at this price point, I have no problems jumping to the Cayenne S. This is a lot of money, and I/family want to make the right decision.

Would you push a Cayenne S over a 535xi? (550xi was not for me, nice engine, but laggy from the get go, and way too much weight up front to be agile for me personally). I liked the 535xi, really did...but the Cayenne is quite a good vehicle and like that as well. We WILL get the Burmester sound system in the Cayenne, thats a must for us, something not available in the BMW.

My primary driving is highway 200 km twice a week. I don't drive much daily.

I feel the 5 series is overpriced in Canada - I'd pay 65K for a 535 not 75K (Pricing in Canada). (We also have a Panamera 4 and if I get the Cayenne S, I'll likely take the Panamera 4 as a daily driver and have the family drive the Cayenne S, but thats not the point of this post)

Thoughts? THis is a serious question, I intend to make the decision within the next 2 weeks. I know these are different classes and what not...but this is what its coming down to. Another way of phrasing this is: Panamera 4 or 535xi? As its unlikely I'll use the Cayenne much unless I want the Burmester for 2 hours/week x2 highway commutes.

Last edited by TheRox; 08-25-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
weird you thought that about the 550i. my 550 is fast as hell and handles great. as a matter a fact, the 535 is pretty much the same car with a smaller engine. something must have been seriously off with the one you drove.

if i was going based on family, i would prolly go with the Cayenne depending on the options you get.
      08-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

If you are going to a Cayenne, why not up a notch to a GTS. I know the waiting list may be up to Jan 2013 or so by now. I was considering the Cayenne GTS back in June but when I was told 6 months wait, it was a dead end for me.

I think you will enjoy the Cayenne GTS more !
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
If you are going to a Cayenne, why not up a notch to a GTS. I know the waiting list may be up to Jan 2013 or so by now. I was considering the Cayenne GTS back in June but when I was told 6 months wait, it was a dead end for me.

I think you will enjoy the Cayenne GTS more !
Hi. My family likes the v8. I'll likely take the panamera 4 as I prefer exec type of cars. Gts would add to the price on an already good vehicle. But excellent suggestion

Honestly if I could go back I would get the 4s but am happy with the v6 in the panny. It's swift.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
weird you thought that about the 550i. my 550 is fast as hell and handles great. as a matter a fact, the 535 is pretty much the same car with a smaller engine. something must have been seriously off with the one you drove.

if i was going based on family, i would prolly go with the Cayenne depending on the options you get.
I think so. Was a dealer demo that may have been abused Def a nice car though !!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The Panny 4 may be a bit too boring to drive. I did test drove the Panny 4S and although it's a great car, I did not find it too comfortable to drive ... not sure why.

As for the Cayenne, the dealer is selling this as if it's 'gold' and if you do get the GTS, I do think you will enjoy the GTS with sportier setting over the regular S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Hi. My family likes the v8. I'll likely take the panamera 4 as I prefer exec type of cars. Gts would add to the price on an already good vehicle. But excellent suggestion

Honestly if I could go back I would get the 4s but am happy with the v6 in the panny. It's swift.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The Panny 4 may be a bit too boring to drive. I did test drove the Panny 4S and although it's a great car, I did not find it too comfortable to drive ... not sure why.

As for the Cayenne, the dealer is selling this as if it's 'gold' and if you do get the GTS, I do think you will enjoy the GTS with sportier setting over the regular S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post

Hmmm I'm assuming I won't enjoy he cayenne. You think the cayenne s is more enjoyable than a panamera 4? I now you e power which the panny doesn't have.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Cayenne S vs Panny 4 ... I will pick Cayenne S. Simply more room. Every family needs a SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cayenne S vs Panny 4 ... I will pick Cayenne S. Simply more room. Every family needs a SUV.
Already have a panny 4. It's not going anywhere. Deciding between the 5 series and cayenne s.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

We don't know your family needs so it would be hard to suggest.I will try to give you some things to consider. I hope I don't add to your agony

1.I would vote for the cayenne S.You have a sedanish vehicle. Depending upon your family needs you might find a SUV more useful than another sedan. This is coming from someone who hates SUV's. I personally wouldn't bother buying a cayenne for different reasons[ unlike my wife].I just think the value proposition isn't there in a cayenne and my necessities from a SUV are different than what Porsche intends to offer.Its just ridiculous that Porsche makes you pay more for basic things like a backup camera in such a big vehicle.

2.One other thing to consider are the interiors.Its a rather important one asyou spend all the time experiencing the INTERIORS. The panny and cayenne have similar interiors. Would you prefer a different feel/experience among your vehicles or would you prefer them to feel the same[cons and pros for both options in this matter viz. familiarity VS variety].

3.Would you like to have one of your vehicles a little more fuel efficient.I am pretty sure 535 wins here over a Cayenne S.
4. I am sure people will eat me alive If i say this but I would suggest you have a look at the 5GT.The interior is amazing and the backseat has such a nice legroom and comfort[ perfect for a family car]. Its not too low nor is it too high and You can get a very good price for obvious reasons.

Let us know of your decision and good luck.

Last edited by luvthestck; 08-25-2012 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

I believe that it's because the 535i has a smaller (as in weight and not just hp) engine that it is also considered to be better handling than the 550i.

That was also said of the new gen 328i vs 335i.

Both are great cars, but I guess personal preferences play a part in how the cars are perceived.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

This
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

i was looking at the same cars before going for the f10. you can't go wrong with either car! the only problems i had with the cayenne were the lack of tech/toys, the insanely long wait list in vancouver and the fact that i like being a bit lower to the ground than up. oh and most cayenne drivers here in van are old chinese moms :P
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

This really depends on your family needs. Since you already have the P4 I would get the Cayenne. The 5 is a great car but I'm more of a Porsche guy
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Steve360
Poland
Rep
Drives: F10 2012 N20 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron

Take a CYenne S.. Burmeester, well there is the 1.2kw B&O, not know which one is better. Fuel consumption, and practicality, and 'Appearance/Style' - personal call...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Two great cars! Depends on what you need it for. I would choose 550 over cayenne s any day of the week!
      08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox
So I was pretty much teed-up ready to pull the trigger on a 550xi or 535xi...test drove them both, felt the 535xi was way more a driver's car...and all options in, the Cayenne is only 10-15 K more expensive...at this price point, I have no problems jumping to the Cayenne S. This is a lot of money, and I/family want to make the right decision.

Would you push a Cayenne S over a 535xi? (550xi was not for me, nice engine, but laggy from the get go, and way too much weight up front to be agile for me personally). I liked the 535xi, really did...but the Cayenne is quite a good vehicle and like that as well. We WILL get the Burmester sound system in the Cayenne, thats a must for us, something not available in the BMW.

My primary driving is highway 200 km twice a week. I don't drive much daily.

I feel the 5 series is overpriced in Canada - I'd pay 65K for a 535 not 75K (Pricing in Canada). (We also have a Panamera 4 and if I get the Cayenne S, I'll likely take the Panamera 4 as a daily driver and have the family drive the Cayenne S, but thats not the point of this post)

Thoughts? THis is a serious question, I intend to make the decision within the next 2 weeks. I know these are different classes and what not...but this is what its coming down to. Another way of phrasing this is: Panamera 4 or 535xi? As its unlikely I'll use the Cayenne much unless I want the Burmester for 2 hours/week x2 highway commutes.
The Cayenne is a VW Tuareg under a Porsche camouflage.
      09-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

My wife and I were looking at stepping into a Cayenne GTS (2010) to replace her '06 E60 550. It was at a BMW dealership that had a White Cayenne GTS on their pre-owned lot, but it didn't have the Light Memory Package (auto headlights) or the nicer leather interior, those were two "musts" for us, so we were kind of bummed. But it was at this dealership that had a CPO Jet Black F10 550i with the M-Sport package, the cooled front seat package with the butt massagers, comfort access, back up camera, but no split rear seat (why is this an option?).

We drove the 550i and I instantly bonded with it - I never really liked my wife's E60. This car hauled some serious mail and just looks (excuse my adolescent vocabulary) bitchen!

I don't know how much different the redesigned Cayenne is from the previous model, but if you're sitting on the fence between the two cars, drive the F10 550, it'll definitely push you over.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
bcbarker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M-sport

They are two very different cars.. The 5 is more sleek and sportier and the cayenne is big and bulky... Personally I feel the new body of the cayenne is super feminine.
I have the 535i and it's the nicest car I've driven long and short distance... I have a friends with the old cayenne and it feels slow and not worth the extra money of the Porsche name... If your looking for big and sporty look at the X5 M or X6 M...

Over all they are very different so it's all up to you..
Appreciate 0