2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)

06-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #287
CJPatel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SF90, Urus, V12Vantage, M8, M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
I would take it in a legit shop(A BMW certified shop) and get it checked out. Seriously, if you keep driving a car with misfire, it will wreck your engine. You went cheap and took it to some indy shop that misdiagnosed the problem and it was a sunk cost fixing things that were not broken. Better to do it right the first time.

Just so you know. My car idled rough as hell and struggled to get past 2k rpm. It was a broken fuel pump and it is a recall fix.
It's at a indy shop still they are diagnosing the problem, but if they can't I will have no choice other than to take it to BMW, hopefully the recall will cover any related issues. I was told BMW would just throw parts at the problem hoping to fix it. Will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Gone: AventadorS, Urus, 13' Ferrari 458, AM V12 Vantage 6spd, M8, F82 M4, 2013 LP550-2, F430 Spider, AM V8 Vantage 6psd, E92 335i 6spd, 2003.5 E46 M3 6spd, Audi A7, 2011 BMW 550i,
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #288
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
What about any choking in the lower rpms (around 1500 rpm) when cruising ?
Exactly what type of choking?

Does it stumble or is it just struggling because it's in the wrong gear? The normal mode or below is geared for gas mileage so sometimes it is in a gear higher than it should be. Sometimes it feels like the tranny doesn't want to kick down the gear while the engine is in limbo expecting the tranny to.

There's a high chance you might have bad gas. Go for several weeks at the same exact gas station and then switch to see if there's a difference. BMWs are very sensitive to octane level. US gas quality isn't that great compared to Europe. I see it happen all the time. In fact, my friend's M3 does it for years and he thought it was a transmission problem. Then it turned out to be bad gas.
I'm pretty sure it's not the gas. I almost always fill from shell (93 oct).

The choking feels more of like a misfire only around 1200-1500 rpm and with my foot gently on the gas. I'm thinking the fuel pumps may be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #289
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:

The choking feels more of like a misfire only around 1200-1500 rpm and with my foot gently on the gas. I'm thinking the fuel pumps may be the issue.
You can buy a logger and check it or take it to a shop to have them do it. The problem with these problems is that a few misfiring here and there doesn't throw codes. You need to hit a certain rate and severity for it to throw a CEL.

I used to log my cars all the time but my modding days are over.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #290
eplace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Your car should not be choking at idle. Mine holds pretty steady and it doesn't seem like turning on all the accessories affect the idle since it's a different type of alternator. It could be anything fuel problems, fouled plugs, weak battery to Mass Air Sensor(or whatever it is called in the BMW). Sorry, this is the first car I don't service myself so I don't know much about it but should be similar to other cars.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #291
CJPatel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPatel View Post
It's at a indy shop still they are diagnosing the problem, but if they can't I will have no choice other than to take it to BMW, hopefully the recall will cover any related issues. I was told BMW would just throw parts at the problem hoping to fix it. Will keep you guys posted on what happens.
So the determination is that the computer needs replaced, the Indy Shop (who also works closely with BMW, and the owner drives an F10 M5) claims that the damage was clearly caused by the customer care recall by them not tightening something (maybe injector wires), I will confirm in a few hours.

None-the-less, new computer will cost about $2000 installed. Pretty upset about this, and considering selling the car.

Gone: AventadorS, Urus, 13' Ferrari 458, AM V12 Vantage 6spd, M8, F82 M4, 2013 LP550-2, F430 Spider, AM V8 Vantage 6psd, E92 335i 6spd, 2003.5 E46 M3 6spd, Audi A7, 2011 BMW 550i,
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #292
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the determination is that the computer needs replaced, the Indy Shop (who also works closely with BMW, and the owner drives an F10 M5) claims that the damage was clearly caused by the customer care recall by them not tightening something (maybe injector wires), I will confirm in a few hours.

None-the-less, new computer will cost about $2000 installed. Pretty upset about this, and considering selling the car.
Take it back to dealer and have them "unfix" it. Why are you paying for something yourself if it's their shoddy work? especially if you can prove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #293
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPatel
Quote:

Yah they forgot to put a metal clamp back on my turbo which probably could've ended up really bad if I didn't catch it.

I probably wouldn't tell them you took it to another shop or they might claim that the Indy shop must've damaged it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #294
CJPatel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Take it back to dealer and have them "unfix" it. Why are you paying for something yourself if it's their shoddy work? especially if you can prove it.
Quote:
Yah they forgot to put a metal clamp back on my turbo which probably could've ended up really bad if I didn't catch it.

I probably wouldn't tell them you took it to another shop or they might claim that the Indy shop must've damaged it.
They've already denied to take any responsibility. I'm sure they will just blame something else and throw parts at it.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #295
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They've already denied to take any responsibility. I'm sure they will just blame something else and throw parts at it.
Of course they would because that's on their dime if it's their fault. The manager's and SA's main responsibility is to make sure they provide quality of service. He has a budget and also an error tolerance for his performance. Just be nice to the guy but be firm that you're not going away unless it's fixed. He can blame anything he wants so it doesn't look like he's not incompetent for his performance review. But don't let him blame you or make you pay for it. He can easily make a warranty claim about something closely related and said it caused the damage to multiple parts, then BMW has to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #296
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Of course they would because that's on their dime if it's their fault. The manager's and SA's main responsibility is to make sure they provide quality of service. He has a budget and also an error tolerance for his performance. Just be nice to the guy but be firm that you're not going away unless it's fixed. He can blame anything he wants so it doesn't look like he's not incompetent for his performance review. But don't let him blame you or make you pay for it. He can easily make a warranty claim about something closely related and said it caused the damage to multiple parts, then BMW has to pay for it.
Agree. And it's impossible to deny responsibility without inspecting the car so kindly ask them to do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #297
CJPatel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Agree. And it's impossible to deny responsibility without inspecting the car so kindly ask them to do that.
I appreciate that, but I highly doubt that would have worked. My indy shop called them and mentioned exactly what happened to cause the issue, they started mentioning stuff like why didn't you bring the car here first, and how do we know its been 3 months since the recall etc. Pretty bad situation.

None-the-less, I had to have the DME, alternator, and oil sensor replaced on my dollar, $3500 of my dollars to be exact. I hope the car will be solid going forward. I put 35k miles a year and will probably drive this another year and just sell it for a CPO something.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #298
SickofBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 ACTIVE HYBRID

2011 X6 Active Hybrrid

I brought my car in for the planned 4 day service a 7 weeks ago. They tell me that the car keeps showing errors and that they are "sorry" and they will have the engineer in to look at the car AGAIN. I can't believe that this is happening to a car with a $95k price tag. Has anybody else had this experience with the X6 Hybrid? I'm not sure I even want the car back if they can fix the errors with a new flavor of bubble gum that they stick on the computer. Thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #299
SickofBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 ACTIVE HYBRID

X6 Hybrid 2011

I brought my car in for the planned 4 day service a 7 weeks ago. They tell me that the car keeps showing errors and that they are "sorry" and they will have the engineer in to look at the car AGAIN. I can't believe that this is happening to a car with a $95k price tag. Has anybody else had this experience with the X6 Hybrid? I'm not sure I even want the car back if they can fix the errors with a new flavor of bubble gum that they stick on the computer. Thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #300
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Your X6 Active Hybrid has the N63 engine? Interesting choice on the part of BMW if so.

I've had no niggles or issues with my car since it was last in the shop. Burns oil quickly but it did that before and it's a free top off so, eh. I'll live lol.
      10-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #301
rogueshot
Rep
Drives: '10 550 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
Your X6 Active Hybrid has the N63 engine? Interesting choice on the part of BMW if so.

I've had no niggles or issues with my car since it was last in the shop. Burns oil quickly but it did that before and it's a free top off so, eh. I'll live lol.
even more interesting is that BMW decided to use the N63 engine in the X6 far longer than any other model - through June 2014 - after all other models switched to the updated N63tu as early as 2012.....I guess they had to stick the leftover N63s in some model.....

Quote:

have the dealer check the ignition coils. I suffered from this undiagnosed until the coil finally shit the bed and threw DTMs post-CCP. I am convinced that the hesitation/stutter that it did pre-CCP was the ignition coil starting to go bad. I have seen multiple reports of the coil for cylinders #3 and #8 going bad....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #302
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post

even more interesting is that BMW decided to use the N63 engine in the X6 far longer than any other model - through June 2014 - after all other models switched to the updated N63tu as early as 2012.....I guess they had to stick the leftover N63s in some model.....

Quote:

have the dealer check the ignition coils. I suffered from this undiagnosed until the coil finally shit the bed and threw DTMs post-CCP. I am convinced that the hesitation/stutter that it did pre-CCP was the ignition coil starting to go bad. I have seen multiple reports of the coil for cylinders #3 and #8 going bad....
Are ignition coils covered under CCP? I just ordered a set of spark plugs and will be putting them in this week. If that doesn't fix the issue than I'll do coils next .
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #303
rogueshot
Rep
Drives: '10 550 GT

coils are not CCP but it would not be a stretch to get them to cover it if you have been complaining in the past under warranty of hesitation/stuttering on acceleration from a stop or when tipping in the throttle after coasting a bit at speed (not to be confused with the hesitation of a downshift). The best way to describe what my car did was a stutter/stumble (almost bucking) when I would start out most of the time (particularly when engine cold) and I would often feel it again at 20-40 mph after I had let off throttle to "coast" and then when I got back on the throttle it would stumble a bit (again be certain not to confused with a downshift). I am not positive that this was a coil going bad as the problem seemed a bit better (not gone but a bit smoother - more of a hesitation than a stutter?) after CCP (could new injectors or software update have been part of the problem?). However within a week of CCP I threw 2 DTMs in a row and the car was like a bucking bronco from a start and it was pretty obvious that the coil wasn't firing. But of course the coil didn't completely fail. Shut the car down, DTM goes away and the car seemed fine upon restart and did not DTM again under very light acceleration/driving for a day until it went back to dealer. The only thing I can glean from this is that ignition coils may be failing/weakening gradually over time?? Since coil replacement the car feels great - strong acceleration, no stutter/stumble/hesitation off the line or at speed on tip in.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #304
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot
coils are not CCP but it would not be a stretch to get them to cover it if you have been complaining in the past under warranty of hesitation/stuttering on acceleration from a stop or when tipping in the throttle after coasting a bit at speed (not to be confused with the hesitation of a downshift). The best way to describe what my car did was a stutter/stumble (almost bucking) when I would start out most of the time (particularly when engine cold) and I would often feel it again at 20-40 mph after I had let off throttle to "coast" and then when I got back on the throttle it would stumble a bit (again be certain not to confused with a downshift). I am not positive that this was a coil going bad as the problem seemed a bit better (not gone but a bit smoother - more of a hesitation than a stutter?) after CCP (could new injectors or software update have been part of the problem?). However within a week of CCP I threw 2 DTMs in a row and the car was like a bucking bronco from a start and it was pretty obvious that the coil wasn't firing. But of course the coil didn't completely fail. Shut the car down, DTM goes away and the car seemed fine upon restart and did not DTM again under very light acceleration/driving for a day until it went back to dealer. The only thing I can glean from this is that ignition coils may be failing/weakening gradually over time?? Since coil replacement the car feels great - strong acceleration, no stutter/stumble/hesitation off the line or at speed on tip in.
Okay thanks man just what I needed to know.. Looks like I will be changing ignition coils soon after I do these spark plugs.

Should I take my bms stage 1 out since the check engine light , until I get the Spark plugs changed or can I keep it in? I only plan to drive it lightly to the Indy shop which is about 20 minutes from my house .
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #305
Bmw_Kello
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

Similar issues?

I just picked up my 2011 550i and called my local BMW shop. Got hooked in with a great SA over here and has been trying to make the car right ever since doing the CCP. They got the car about 2 weeks after I received it, and performed the CCP. Then a few days later I was blessed with a terrible rough idle and misfire. Called my SA, set the appt, and then what do ya know...CEL codes left and right on the way to the shop.

Car has been there for a couple days and now they are replacing the DME as they couldnt find the culprit of the misfire (checked all injectors again and also trouble shot the coils).....any one else going through this???
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #306
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Speechless:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=878722
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #307
Joceppi85
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

Garage List
2021 BMW X2 M35i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340iX  [0.00]
I never received notification on this issue. I just brought my 2012 550iX in because the message came up to charge battery... so I searched google and found the service bulletin B001314. I bought my 5-series used from a BMW dealership in Nov 2013 and I have been bringing in my vehicle for regular maintenance but they never mentioned this bulletin... are they only fixing if there is an issue? I am at 49,944 miles... Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #308
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Yeah, i have the 2 batteries also, its for the 24 Volts for the electric steering
Appreciate 0