2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum merc vs 5

09-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Tough to compare the new 2017 redesigned E class to a F10 which is essentially a 6+ year old design.

I would expect the E Class electronics to be superior and at same time would be highly disappointed in MB if they weren't.

That said, I've played with a 2016 MB Nav system and would still prefer the NBT unit (with V4.2 software) in the F10. Maybe it takes time to get accustom to, but I didn't like MBs Nav interface.

My take is if you are a driver and prefer performance/handling over cushy comfort, the 5 series will likely win your heart. Maybe an AMG Sport Pkg E can get close but I've yet to find one that I preferred to a BMW.

And if MB is still using the same transmission, that thing is a loser. The F10 transmission is superior in every way.

I'm quite sure the next gen 5 will give MB a tech challenge. Today's cars are ridiculous in the tech dept.
      09-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #24
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Apples12 agreed on transmission. Mercs have the worst delay in shifting. I've counted almost a 3 seconds between gear shifts on the 350 I own. Maybe someone on the merc boards knows of a TCU flash to fix that. BMW has the best trans in the business stock
Transmission delay was the thing I hated even more than E class soft ride, and I hated the soft ride A LOT.
The reverse to drive shift times when backing out of a spot were even longer. People would honk at me but I couldn't move because the transmission was thinking. I took it to the dealer and they flashed it and it got a little better. People complain about the trans in AMG models too but they get a ton of power to compensate. I've heard bad things about the Cadillac trans on the CTS-V too.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
My GLK350
Worst transmission in the biz speaking from experience. Excellent road trip car though
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #26
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
boy lots to concider,,,, can I include the jaguar, or is it not even in the same league as these two?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher
boy lots to concider,,,, can I include the jaguar, or is it not even in the same league as these two?
Lol

Appreciate 1
RSBro58.00
      09-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #28
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
hey guys, I am going to be upgrading my 3 series for better riding car, I have narrowed my choice down to the 5 or Mercedes e class, now I have been doing a lot of homework on the 17 e class and iam totally blown away by how far ahead of the 2016 5 series this car is,,,, well that's what the reviews all say in head to heads,, my question is, I know the 5 is going to be new for 17, but will it compare price wise and feature wise with the e class...
Tesla Model S or Mercedes E Class is next for me. The new E class is just so smooth on almost all road surfaces just like the S Class and GLEs. Personally I think they look much more elegant as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #29
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
If you are looking for an automatic, the E class has the gear sifter on the steering column. This drove me nuts when I had one as a rental a few months back.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #30
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Having owned both, I honestly think neither is superior.

The Merc has better ride quality, more comfortable seats (and I've got the optional comfort seats in the 5) and, now that BMW has gone with electronic steering, the Merc has better steering as well. The AMGs are wicked fast. Regularly scheduled maintenance items are not covered by MB warranty. Fit/finish of the Merc seems better.

The BMW's tech and styling is where it shines. They invented the iDrive system, so naturally BMW has the most appealing and intuitive interface on the market. Hard to beat the look of an F10 M-Sport BMW maint. items are covered for first 4yrs-50K.

For the money, the BMW is the better option, but not necessarily the better car.

Last edited by Quicksilv3r; 09-06-2016 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #31
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Having owned both, I honestly think neither is superior.
Fully agree, but they are also very different, so it should be easy decision to make based on personal preferences. I quickly realized E class isn't for me, as good as it might be. It was much more difficult for me to decide between A6 and F10.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #32
mzabbas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
hum ill wait till the g30 comes out then for a test drive and see how it compares,, I couldn't care less with handling, speed, cornering, sound, ect, what I want is the most comfortable ride I can get, with good gas mileage, and easy to live with interior,, I due mostly long distance driving, so I need to be refreshed after a 7 hr drive.

With this in mind, Merc please. Also, through in a Lexus in the mix. One of those should give you more of what you want.

You can get a 5er but will be wasting the potential.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #33
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
G30 already surfacing amazing reviews! Might want to wait just a bit

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #34
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
this is why I wanted the forums views on this topic, because at the dealership I took a 2014 6 series for a drive,, WOW!! what a car.... and the same price as a 2016 5, goodness me is that car nice to drive.. I think I went pee on the test drive , just a little bit tho.....lol they wouldn't let me test drive it tho for the weekend... so still not sure how it will fare going from Calgary to Regina, or Vancouver, my 3 was asome on the test drive, but not so good after 7 hrs on the road.. And yeah I have seen a couple of articles on the 17 in the European newspapers, but nothing in depth...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #35
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher
this is why I wanted the forums views on this topic, because at the dealership I took a 2014 6 series for a drive,, WOW!! what a car.... and the same price as a 2016 5, goodness me is that car nice to drive.. I think I went pee on the test drive , just a little bit tho.....lol they wouldn't let me test drive it tho for the weekend... so still not sure how it will fare going from Calgary to Regina, or Vancouver, my 3 was asome on the test drive, but not so good after 7 hrs on the road.. And yeah I have seen a couple of articles on the 17 in the European newspapers, but nothing in depth...
basically, if you get the 5 with multicontour seats you can drive it for 3 days straight and be comfy
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #36
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Come to a BMW forum, your going to get served a lot of Kool Aid!
ALso, we have guys that are into speed and are ok giving up some comfort to get more road feel.

Came from an e60 to an E92 coupe as I long thought taking a 5 sedan and making into a "sports car" is defeating its natural tendancy of it being a great gran touring car.

What engine and wheel/tire configuration really can determine a lot.

Regarding latest and greatest, I won't buy a first run car so the F30 was not in my consideration, nor was the new E class. A few years ago I also decided that I don't want to pay for new cars any more.

Now, Im not here to advocate for my buying preference and value statement. I did pay a premium for my Manual Transmission Msport, coming from the e92 sport package also with MT I too wanted a more comfortable car. I drove all current 5's, E350 and Audi 6 before I decided I was not ready to give up driving the Manual Trans. I love the Audi 6 even with the 4cyl engine but wife drives an audi. Super quiet and a great interior. I did get hooked on the Audi A7 as well. Big time!
I drove Mercedes for years and really do like them. I actually started looking at the C400 as the engine is a blast and the interior was super seductive! The new E is wonderful, but the C400 looks like the C300 and I kind of liked the Sleeper aspect of it. I was close to buying one!!!! Then one day I saw an old Infiniti J30 and the rear end of the C class kind of turned me off!!! I also wanted a bigger car.
So the F10 535 I own became my target but it had to have the multi countour seat. My e60 had them and it was amazing. That car, as my f10 I can drive 5-6 hours and feels great! My 535, compared to my E92 is much larger, taller, and super quiet and comfy. I also prefer a "sporty" feel which my Msport gives me, but really not harsh. Runflats are gone. I won't lower the car anymore than what the factory has provided. Needless to say I have a super comfortable car with a manual transmission! Remember the first "Transporter" movie? He drove a black 740i with a manual!!! I always wanted one of those!

Which is better? I have not driven the New Eclass and of course nobody here has driven the F30. Seriously, I can't imagine one being that much better than the other. I suppose Mecedes has a more "Comfort" reputation but one criticism of the F10 has been its size and lack of road feel. AKA: "The car is more comfortable". Perhaps price/style/wow factor/pristige becomes a determining factor as well as how you want your cars equipped. I can't imagine you going wrong with any of the cars your shopping. Too bad your not a year out as you might have more data regarding build quality/early problems.

Good luck with your search and have fun doing so!!
      09-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #37
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

You simply have to drive both.

I wanted the previous gen Merc E550 V8. I drove it and absolutely hated it. Decided I was going to get a Jag V8. Was okay.

Then, I drove the F10 550 and it wasn't even close. It was laughable how far ahead as a car the Bimmer was. So, it depends on what you want out of it as others have said. Sure the interior isn't as fancy but the F10 looked miles ahead IMO and you can't beat the performance.

I'm excited for the G Series 5's. They're gonna be killer.
      09-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #38
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
You simply have to drive both.

I wanted the previous gen Merc E550 V8. I drove it and absolutely hated it. Decided I was going to get a Jag V8. Was okay.

Then, I drove the F10 550 and it wasn't even close. It was laughable how far ahead as a car the Bimmer was. So, it depends on what you want out of it as others have said. Sure the interior isn't as fancy but the F10 looked miles ahead IMO and you can't beat the performance.

I'm excited for the G Series 5's. They're gonna be killer.
I completely agree with you, but these things are subjective. To some the merc is the end all be all - not for me, but for some. I have always preferred the BMW designs more than Merc. Always preferred the handling, sportiness, and speed better. Others are looking for more of a luxo-cruiser, and thanks to BMWs need to set record sales numbers, BMWs have been leaning more toward luxo-cruiser than enthusiast sports sedan since the F series cars have come out. I am hoping that the G30 will be more like the true sports sedan we all know and love.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #39
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
I completely agree with you, but these things are subjective. To some the merc is the end all be all - not for me, but for some. I have always preferred the BMW designs more than Merc. Always preferred the handling, sportiness, and speed better. Others are looking for more of a luxo-cruiser, and thanks to BMWs need to set record sales numbers, BMWs have been leaning more toward luxo-cruiser than enthusiast sports sedan since the F series cars have come out. I am hoping that the G30 will be more like the true sports sedan we all know and love.
Completely! And tbh, I like my F10 simply because of the color. It certain is more plain (especially in non-M Sport guise) and not as much of a looker compared to the E-Class in non-metallic finish like a gray, white or lighter blue.

The short previews I've read of the G30 have been fantastic. Unfortunately, I keep having issues with my F10 almost on a weekly basis and I'm about to get fed up with it. I told my S.A. this is too many things to fix with this new of a car with this few of miles. I was already looking Porsche's way and the more things that mount up just keep me looking in that direction, sad to say..
      09-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #40
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
Completely! And tbh, I like my F10 simply because of the color. It certain is more plain (especially in non-M Sport guise) and not as much of a looker compared to the E-Class in non-metallic finish like a gray, white or lighter blue.

The short previews I've read of the G30 have been fantastic. Unfortunately, I keep having issues with my F10 almost on a weekly basis and I'm about to get fed up with it. I told my S.A. this is too many things to fix with this new of a car with this few of miles. I was already looking Porsche's way and the more things that mount up just keep me looking in that direction, sad to say..
I completely understand, when my e60 550 was totaled my gut reaction was to get another 550 to replace it. however, I spoke to friends beforehand and 3 had lemoned their 550s and a 4th had many issues with his f01 750 ($37k in repairs in less than a year). hence the reason I opted for the 535 instead. I don't feel like I missed much either
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #41
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
Then, I drove the F10 550 and it wasn't even close. It was laughable how far ahead as a car the Bimmer was.
I'm glad you said this, because I felt exactly the same, and I compared them back to back. I remember thinking "how can both F10 and A6 be that much better (for my taste) to drive? How is this not more difficult to decide given they are direct competitors?".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #42
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

i have an E class , and really love it , but the only thing that i really miss about my e39 and e60 545 is the handling part , merc comes no where near close bmw , other than that..... im satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #43
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by belarus27 View Post
i have an E class , and really love it , but the only thing that i really miss about my e39 and e60 545 is the handling part , merc comes no where near close bmw , other than that..... im satisfied.
Of course, they are great cars. It's just, in my opinion, E class doesn't beat the other two brands by a great margin in luxury, fit and finish, looks (subjective?) or comfort. On the other hand they get totally outmatched by both Audi and BMW in "sportiness/handling/fun to drive" factor.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #44
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

My friend just picked up 2017 E300. Interior and front end is nice... however I was not impressed by driving dynamics/handling.

If I were you I'd wait for 2017 5-er... makes little sense to shell out $60k when you know bimmer will be hitting the market in a few months.
Appreciate 0