2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Did BMW butcher my leather seat?

04-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Chims
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Did BMW butcher my leather seat?

Hi Guys,

The local BMW dealership was nice enough to agree to have my seat repaired under warranty, however when I look closely it looks like Frankenstein and nothing like new as I was expecting. It looks worse than before it was fixed, but unfortunately I do not have a picture of before.

The exact location of the issue is on the inside of the drivers seat, where there is a flex (sport seats). The thread started coming loose and I was hoping that it would come back looking like new. Am I too much of a perfectionist or is this to be expected? Supposedly they had to take the entire seat apart to accomplish this, but I cannot stop staring at it in agony, seeing how they tore the original thread holes and did what I believe was a very amateurish job. Am I unreasonable, or is this the best that could be done under the circumstances?

Any input would be appreciated!

PS. To throw salt on my wounds, the car was obviously not handled with care - there were stains from some sort of food on the passengers seat, and some red smudges on the passenger sunshade. Even worse, I have discovered a 2" crack in the drivers side windshield next to the VIN number - this is especially troubling when I was going to have the front tinted in one week. FML...

Thanks, -Chims

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtgy714mdt...405_152558.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Looks as if it was done by a small child. Uneven, pulled, holes in the wrong places, holes the wrong shape, extra holes, torn holes, wrong thread used, visible stitching where it should be hidden.

On the other hand, if that's what constitutes "agony" in Menlo Park, I would say that life is pretty good. I'd be angry, but I don't think I'd be suffering much.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Chims
United_States
Rep

Your opinion is much appreciated. We get that "Oh you must be loaded and life must be easy" a lot since we live in Menlo Park, but we actually live in the unincorporated area (North Fair Oaks) and bought this car used after sharing a car built in 2001 for 5 years with my wife so that we could afford to buy our first house. So yes, it's important to me because this car is our baby.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Chims
United_States
Rep

Agony was the wrong word btw, i'm just really angry that the Service Rep told me that he believed it looked like new and laughed about it. This took 3 days to get done and looks like crap as you confirmed. My dumbass signed for the car and took off without making a stink. The stitching itself it really a small problem, the real issue is that I feel taken advantage of. Somehow I doubt they'll want to replace the seat for a little tiny bit of stitching.

Yes, it's functional, but it this up to BMW quality standards? No. Thanks for listening - I really need to talk it over with the Service Rep first thing Monday, but hesitant to hand my car over again since it looks like someone ate lunch in it and I'm suspicious of the number of miles that it was driven. Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being unreasonable in expecting that a warranty repair would look like new.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Hellraiserharris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13' 535i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
You need to take that car back and bitch slap the tech. Also take a couple more pics and send them to bmw USA.
      04-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Chims, is this BMW of Mountain View because i always make sure I never take my car anywhere close to those clowns.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I would start contacting Bmw USA and work with them on a proper fix, you are not going to get anywhere with that dealership. If their response to your complaint is looks new to me and laughing save yourself the stress of even dealing with them.
      04-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Did the tech try to fix it or was the repair done by a upholstery repair professional? At this point, I would ask for a seat replacement since they butcher it so bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chims View Post
Agony was the wrong word btw, i'm just really angry that the Service Rep told me that he believed it looked like new and laughed about it. This took 3 days to get done and looks like crap as you confirmed. My dumbass signed for the car and took off without making a stink. The stitching itself it really a small problem, the real issue is that I feel taken advantage of. Somehow I doubt they'll want to replace the seat for a little tiny bit of stitching.

Yes, it's functional, but it this up to BMW quality standards? No. Thanks for listening - I really need to talk it over with the Service Rep first thing Monday, but hesitant to hand my car over again since it looks like someone ate lunch in it and I'm suspicious of the number of miles that it was driven. Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being unreasonable in expecting that a warranty repair would look like new.

I'm totally sympathetic, even if I could not resist tweaking you about "agony". I'm probably a little jealous, having enjoyed eight years of school quite near where you live.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Chims
United_States
Rep

@Bimmer5 & Hellraiserharris: To BMW USA I go! That guys is not worthy of a bitch slap. BTW, he's not a tech, but rather a Service Advisor.

@sickwithit: Yes, this was BMW of Mountain View :-( I thought I checked the Yelp reviews and they were the highest around, but looking closer folks say stay the hell away from their Service Department.

The X Men: BMW of Mountain View took my car to Premier Auto Upholstery in Santa Clara. They're supposed to be a decent shop. Maybe a junior apprentice did the work? I even called them ahead of time. I think one of the problems may have been that this was a rush job as BMW took 2 days to get my car to them.

@raleedy: No worries, I wish we could send our kids to K-8 Menlo or Atherton schools - we recently had to fight to keep our rights to Menlo-Atherton high and we don't even have kids yet. It's strange - if you approach our house from one side, it's estates and mansions. From the other side, it's the little Mexico part of Redwood City.

Thanks for your support guys. I feel a lot more confident now and will call the Service Rep and then contact BMW USA. I will not take my car there again. This is mostly a trust issue, since if they screwed up such a small thing - I can only imagine something more costly or important. This was my first time visiting the service department, done specifically so I could get an idea of how the BMW warranty works before I had to go in for something more serious.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Chims
United_States
Rep

I should add that the Service Advisor agreed to look at the car again. I'm annoyed because I have to arrive during rush hour the previous day in order to get a loaner car which will burn 2+ hours of my time to have this done AGAIN. However, I should give them a benefit of doubt that this will be fixed correctly. I've made it clear that I don't want it repaired again and would prefer it be replaced but supposedly that's up the service manager. So I'll have to give up my car for nearly a week with no promise of the seat being replaced. Will update at the end of the month after I get the car back.

Because the rip is at a point of tension, it's possible that the stitching looked good for 5 minutes until someone sat in the seat or adjusted it. Thanks for listening and your support, especially for such a trivial item. Hoping for the best and believing in BMW..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Bespoke 2014
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Weird I always take a quick video of my car when I take it to any shop. Once I get it back and expect it I delete .
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoboyq156 View Post
Weird I always take a quick video of my car when I take it to any shop. Once I get it back and expect it I delete .
+1 ... always a good idea
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Chims
United_States
Rep

GOOD NEWS, BMW agreed to replace the entire seat back

GOOD NEWS, BMW agreed to replace the entire seat back, which is supposed to be a $900 part. I have to take the car in again in about 10 days when the part comes in. I might be getting paranoid as the Service Advisor says, but I swear I keep finding new damage every time I get the car back. It's possible that someone hit us in a parking lot, but I notice new damage on the car every time I get it back. Coincidence?

Shortly after returning home today, I (again) found minor damage on my car that totally blew my high. I should have taken a video this last time, but I'm really unsure where or how this happened so I cannot rightly blame the dealership, however I will say that I frequently inspect the car and would have seen this... I remember doing a walk around before dropping the car off, but I can't blame them (officially) with good conscience, however I will say that I am becoming suspicious about how well customer cars are treated. My car only had a trunk button replaced, but had 2 miles on the ODO, why?

This time a little reflector in front of the driver side wheel is pushed in, with little gouges in the paint and scuff marks. Doesn't look like it was done by another vehicle since there are small individual marks and some decent scuffing, but no deep scrapes or paint from another car.

I think I'm going to need counselling if I keep finding mystery damage...

Last edited by Chims; 04-23-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #15
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Stop wasting your time with that dealership and take the car to another dealership. My 550 has been to about 15 dealerships in the last 2 years before I found one that met all my satisfactions.
Appreciate 0