2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone else track their 5 series

05-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Anyone else track their 5 series

Just starting out myself:

During a previous event I had complete brake failure where the pedal fell to the floor so I got steel braided brake lines, EBC yellow track pads, and Motul 660 fluid, which appears to have remedied the issue but I didn't abuse the brakes quite as hard at this event to test the limits.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Appreciate 1
SC300T26.00
      05-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowmaker View Post
Just starting out myself:

During a previous event I had complete brake failure where the pedal fell to the floor so I got steel braided brake lines, EBC yellow track pads, and Motul 660 fluid, which appears to have remedied the issue but I didn't abuse the brakes quite as hard at this event to test the limits.

Anyone have a similar experience?
why would you track such a massive, heavy car? what sort of other mods have you done?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
why would you track such a massive, heavy car? what sort of other mods have you done?
I haven't had a long history of tracking nor have a current interest to own/maintain a track dedicated car so use this car for multi purpose - part-time DD / enthusiast car (V8 TT isn't slow) / people carrier.

The weight undoubtedly holds it back in the competitive space but it doesn't stop it from being a fun car to drive :P

In terms of other mods I've done:
- clutch delay valve delete
- sprint booster throttle by wire override - makes the throttle way more responsive

I'm currently just going for driver feel so this is probably fine for now but I'd be curious what others have done.
Appreciate 1
SC300T26.00
      05-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowmaker View Post
I haven't had a long history of tracking nor have a current interest to own/maintain a track dedicated car so use this car for multi purpose - part-time DD / enthusiast car (V8 TT isn't slow) / people carrier.

The weight undoubtedly holds it back in the competitive space but it doesn't stop it from being a fun car to drive :P

In terms of other mods I've done:
- clutch delay valve delete
- sprint booster throttle by wire override - makes the throttle way more responsive

I'm currently just going for driver feel so this is probably fine for now but I'd be curious what others have done.
nice, I feel you on that. your driving looked good! I would suggest buying a little mazda miata, or an e36, something small and RWD that emphasizes more on driving feel rather than outright speed if you are looking to continue into the world of track driving. your F10 is RWD, correct? here is a list of some great mods you may want to consider that will greatly increase the feel of your car:

- sway bars front & rear (this is a must for our F10's)

- Bilstein B12 kit. for RWD F10's only. great suspension that comes in one "out of the box" setting. The eibach springs don't offer a major drop, and overall this kit helps strike a perfect balance between street comfort and performance while still performing well on the track.

- Camber plates. the camber setup is pretty mild on the F10, which causes understeer. this isnt such a big issue because our double wishbone suspension automatically increases negative camber to the outside wheel when cornering, but some extra negative camber would sure help the car feel more balanced and negate some of the understeer. the only option I see is Dinan, which does not sacrifice ride comfort like your typical camber plate. offers 0.6 degrees of adjustability.

- Meyle upper control arms: further helps tune your negative camber. addition -0.3 of adjustment.

- rear strut mounts and bushings: helps give the car a more planted feel when cornering. apparently these are a must for the F10 chassis, and any BMW really for that matter.

- some lightweight aftermarket forged rims with non runflat tires. OEM BMW rims are very, very heavy. this is because of the runflat tires they are designed to run on. if you do get non runflat tires (which I recommend, because they make the ride far smoother and help with performance) I would suggest getting an alignment to help optimize for the new tires. your current alignment is designed to work best with runflat tires.

- LSD: for RWD models only. highly recommended modification. helps oversteer feel more controllable and smoother. open differentials are designed to send more power to the wheel with less grip, which is good for safety reasons (if you even consider understeer a safety feature) while a LSD sends power to the tire with the most grip. contrary to what many believe, an LSD will not induce MORE oversteer VS. an open diff counterpart, however.

That's about it as far as handling mods go. power-wise, I'd go for a downpipe and ECU tune. an intercooler is a must for turbo BMW's as the stock ones are shit, then a charge-pipe, and that's about it. I doubt much is needed for your twin turbo V8...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I've debated going to the local racetrack here (pacific raceways) but I'm too worried about breaking something on my car or getting into an accident. Maybe the next car.
Appreciate 1
SC300T26.00
      06-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I've debated going to the local racetrack here (pacific raceways) but I'm too worried about breaking something on my car or getting into an accident. Maybe the next car.
Cheap Miata or Honda S2000 is all you need. Been in one around a track with a good driver. Then took my old Z4 Coupe, and the new Z4 E89 3l turbo one. Gotta say S2000 was the most fun. After the track, he topped up the oil and went back home. 100km away from track. Thats the kinda shit these little cars do. Drive to track, race, go home. My friends Z4 went into limp mode twice, mine had developed a small crack in an exhaust... Im just saying.
      06-01-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Cheap Miata or Honda S2000 is all you need. Been in one around a track with a good driver. Then took my old Z4 Coupe, and the new Z4 E89 3l turbo one. Gotta say S2000 was the most fun. After the track, he topped up the oil and went back home. 100km away from track. Thats the kinda shit these little cars do. Drive to track, race, go home. My friends Z4 went into limp mode twice, mine had developed a small crack in an exhaust... Im just saying.
I wonder how you got a crack in your exhaust.

you can thank the ridiculous temperatures these motors fitted with electric water-pumps run at. if you had a vented hood and maybe some thicker oil, that should be enough to keep the temps reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #8
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
I wonder how you got a crack in your exhaust.

you can thank the ridiculous temperatures these motors fitted with electric water-pumps run at. if you had a vented hood and maybe some thicker oil, that should be enough to keep the temps reasonable.
Pretty sure it was old and rusted and from stress in some area it burned through or smth. My car was low miles, that stood a lot with previous owner and when I bought it the undercarriage had some rust spots, bits under hood were eaten by some animal, etc. Took a bit of tinkering to bring it to shape but low miles and good price was tempting (plus excellent color combo). But it was rusting quite a bit when I sold it, you cant really stop that stuff once it starts going i guess.
      06-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Nice to see an F10 on the track! Your driving looked smooth and deliberate! Good combination of traits!

I would imagine the stock brake setup/especially fluid would be highly taxed on this nearly 5k lb car. Good to know a decent combo of pad/fluid/line to start with.

I read that you removed your CDV, did the lines simply plug into each other once removed? Haven't yet done it on my F10 535. It did on my old E90 and E46.

To 'Big Mexican Women,' you mention an LSD. What manufacturer is making the 535i one?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post
Nice to see an F10 on the track! Your driving looked smooth and deliberate! Good combination of traits!

I would imagine the stock brake setup/especially fluid would be highly taxed on this nearly 5k lb car. Good to know a decent combo of pad/fluid/line to start with.

I read that you removed your CDV, did the lines simply plug into each other once removed? Haven't yet done it on my F10 535. It did on my old E90 and E46.

To 'Big Mexican Women,' you mention an LSD. What manufacturer is making the 535i one?
good point - I actually just looked it up and have not found a single LSD setup for the F10 platform. I guess it would need to be custom made. what a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
This may be our only option:
http://diffsonline.com/bmw-f10-535i-...l#.WxNi2BZlDYU

It seems wavetrac makes one for the 550i
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post

What's a CDV?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Sorry, Clutch Delay Valve ("CDV"). The theory is that there is a small connector valve at which point hydraulic fluid is somewhat restricted, effectively slowing down the actual clutch action in order to avoid potential damage. For anyone who has driven manuals, you'll have to adjust your shifting style to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
back in the day... there were a bunch of guys on Audiworld that tracked their D2 S8 / A8s... brake upgrades were a must but I think the cars handled the track well. I used to have a S2000... that was a different track animal, but I think there's a place for all sizes of cars... makes you learn the limits of the car you're driving for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Why are we discouraging tracking an F10? Anything that pushes the limits of the car moves the platform forward. Anyone can see that the F10 isn't the best starting place due to weight and mushy calibration, but there are far worse options... The F10 has a balanced chassis, the hard points of the suspension are well thought out, they put the power down well out of turns, and have a decent(ish) power to weight ratio. It doesn't matter how fast you go on the track, there is always going to be someone faster. I see it more as an enthusiast getting to drive at a level not possible on the street.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300T View Post
Why are we discouraging tracking an F10? Anything that pushes the limits of the car moves the platform forward. Anyone can see that the F10 isn't the best starting place due to weight and mushy calibration, but there are far worse options... The F10 has a balanced chassis, the hard points of the suspension are well thought out, they put the power down well out of turns, and have a decent(ish) power to weight ratio. It doesn't matter how fast you go on the track, there is always going to be someone faster. I see it more as an enthusiast getting to drive at a level not possible on the street.
Still far too heavy for track use. The 5 series is a land-yacht, not a track-slut. Hell even the 3 series is too heavy.
Appreciate 0