2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Finally! BMW Office (iDrive Email & Text Message) Integration with iPhone on iOS6

06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
ulo_in_sweden
Rep
Drives: 525d 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
Tjena, Hur Laget!!!

If you are testing for emails the email app on the phone must be running in the background for it communicate to the iDrive and send new notifications. If you are actively sending emails through the phone while connected to the car it will not send an email message to the car. Does that make sense? Have someone send you an email from another phone or PC while you car connected.
Sorry, no luck. Tried to run mail-app in background and send new mail from pc. Does not get sent to Idrive.

Ulo
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
ressayflex
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

FYI, it also seems now with iOS 6 beta 2 they fixed the issue with the sender showing up in the from field. Now that works! Still having issues with it showing the body of the email, it just says loading... But text messages seem to be showing up perfectly...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
IOS 6 MAP Does Not Work

I have tested this in my F10 with the latest BMW code and IOS 6 beta 2 and it does not work. What it does do is push message notifications to the iDrive and then only a small amount of the text. It does not behave in any way as good as Blackberry.

Apple hAve proven that they can do it, but they haven't done it yet. I am skeptical that we will see this in the launch version of IOS 6.

I really look forward to being told I'm wrong because I would really like this to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog View Post
I have tested this in my F10 with the latest BMW code and IOS 6 beta 2 and it does not work. What it does do is push message notifications to the iDrive and then only a small amount of the text. It does not behave in any way as good as Blackberry.

Apple hAve proven that they can do it, but they haven't done it yet. I am skeptical that we will see this in the launch version of IOS 6.

I really look forward to being told I'm wrong because I would really like this to work.
Really? This is just beta 2 of iOS6. The first beta didn't show the senders name in the header and it was fixed in Beta 2. Apple typically has around 5 beta cycles before the general release. I don't see any reason why it will not improve over time. Also keep in mind that BMW may have to release a Bluetooth software update to address iOS6 just like like the BT update from December that address iOS5. Your running early beta software against BT MAP with a car MFG that doesn't have a firmware update to address the new Phone O/S and it mostly works already. Not bad at all at this stage.

Also, if your gonna come out here and complain it suggests that your not a true beta tester to begin with. Beta releases always contains some from of pain and are never ready for prime time or the general public. The beta release is for developers to migrate their existing code and leverage the new API's. If you can't deal with the pain then go back to 5.1.1 and then when the GA of iOS6 drops you can bitch & moan all you like.

Last edited by tlp; 07-05-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Does iOS6 have an estimated release date? And whether or not an iDrive software update is necessary, can same be done "over the air" or must the car be brought to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #28
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Does iOS6 have an estimated release date? And whether or not an iDrive software update is necessary, can same be done "over the air" or must the car be brought to the dealer?
There is no official date yet for IOS6. Last I saw, was that the current beta is 2 and earlier beta versions of IOS have had up to 5 or 6 beta versions before general distribution. So the current advice of "fall" (Autumn) seems about as current as anything.

You can update the iDrive software by downloading first onto a USB stick from a PC. Insert the USB in the slot under the glove compartment (think it's that one) and look for the software update option in iDrive. Obviously you shoudn't interrupt the update after it starts.
      07-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
ressayflex
Rep

For the person that was having issues showing emails, make sure you update your BT software on the car. You can grab the update from The BMW website. I still have the issue where not all the emails are displayed fully. Some you can read the body, others you only get the headers and the body said loading.

I think apple still has some things they are working out between notifications and the MAP BT profile. Text messages work flawlessly, so I'm certain e-mail will as well. Like the previous poster said, this is just beta 2 and you can already see some fixes between beta 1 and beta 2 in the BT MAP profile.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
There is no official date yet for IOS6. Last I saw, was that the current beta is 2 and earlier beta versions of IOS have had up to 5 or 6 beta versions before general distribution. So the current advice of "fall" (Autumn) seems about as current as anything.

You can update the iDrive software by downloading first onto a USB stick from a PC. Insert the USB in the slot under the glove compartment (think it's that one) and look for the software update option in iDrive. Obviously you shoudn't interrupt the update after it starts.
Thank you for your most informative reply!

My car was manufactured in late September 2010 and has the following software version and iDrive screens, which seems to lack the "Current Office" submenu. Otherwise, I believe I have the "combox", but I do not have "BMW Apps".

Does anyone know if my car will be compatible?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 07-06-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #31
ressayflex
Rep

Finally!! Just installed iOS 6 beta 3, seems they fixed more Bluetooth MAP profile issues. My email in the car now shows up with no issues. Before the header would show, but the body would just show up as "loading..." Now it's all working perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressayflex View Post
Finally!! Just installed iOS 6 beta 3, seems they fixed more Bluetooth MAP profile issues. My email in the car now shows up with no issues. Before the header would show, but the body would just show up as "loading..." Now it's all working perfectly!
Huzzah!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #33
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Post your settings, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressayflex View Post
I have 2012 F10 (with latest iDrive) and iOS6 Beta 3. Have been trying emails, SMS, etc.. since Beta 1 with varying success.

I get SMS working fine, I also get Calendar/ Reminder alerts appearing, but no email at all. No notification for email at all.

I have 3 email accounts:
iCloud
Exchange
GMail

iCloud & Exchange are push emails, so these should appear in iDrive, but I get nothing.

Can you please post your iPhone email settings?

1. What email is working for you? Exchange, GMail, iCloud, other
2. What are your notification settings under Settings -> Notifications -> Mail
  • Notification Centre : On/ Off
  • Alert Style: None/ Banners/ Alerts
  • Badge App Icon: On/ Off
  • New Mail Sound: None/ others
  • Show Preview: On/ Off
  • View in Lock Screen: On/ Off

I am reading that certain settings cause email to work/ fail. Would you mind sharing your current settings (per email account that works).

Thank you.
      07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #34
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^
Turn on view in lock screen.
      07-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Ok. I am not clear if my car is supposed to have this or not. I do not think I have combobox. Car was built 03/2011. I'm I out of luck?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #36
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really? This is just beta 2 of iOS6. The first beta didn't show the senders name in the header and it was fixed in Beta 2. Apple typically has around 5 beta cycles before the general release. I don't see any reason why it will not improve over time. Also keep in mind that BMW may have to release a Bluetooth software update to address iOS6 just like like the BT update from December that address iOS5. Your running early beta software against BT MAP with a car MFG that doesn't have a firmware update to address the new Phone O/S and it mostly works already. Not bad at all at this stage.

Also, if your gonna come out here and complain it suggests that your not a true beta tester to begin with. Beta releases always contains some from of pain and are never ready for prime time or the general public. The beta release is for developers to migrate their existing code and leverage the new API's. If you can't deal with the pain then go back to 5.1.1 and then when the GA of iOS6 drops you can bitch & moan all you like.
Whatever.

I now have IOS 6 beta 3 on the iPhone and retested it with 2011 BMW F10 with BMW code 3.5.4 as before. It seems that beta 3 has fixed the "loading" issue associated with email messages and now displays substantially more, but not all, email text. Text messages appear fine but I have not tested SMS with more then 30 characters.

To understand what Bluetooth MAP can do (and should do) you need to see how BMW works with a Blackberry 9800. With BMW/Blackberry the iDrive downloads the last 70 emails and SMS complete messages from the Blackberry upon connection of the car to the device. With BMW/iPhone (beta 3) it does not download messages prior to connection of the phone to the car but rather downloads notifications of emails/SMS that arrive while the phone is connected to the car. Once the car and iPhone are disconnected and then reconnected, previously displayed messages are no longer displayed.

The BMW/Blackberry office integration also provides for calendar, tasks and reminders over bluetooth MAP which is very useful. For this to work, it is necessary to download an app from the Blackberry App Store (and pay $14 for the privilege). I have this working (see attached photos).

So if the measure of success is BMW/Blackberry intergration and features, then IOS 6 has some way to go. Once again, I hope they do it properly because I want to switch from Blackberry to iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
^
Turn on view in lock screen.
Thank you…

emails working now….
      08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whatever.

I now have IOS 6 beta 3 on the iPhone and retested it with 2011 BMW F10 with BMW code 3.5.4 as before. It seems that beta 3 has fixed the "loading" issue associated with email messages and now displays substantially more, but not all, email text. Text messages appear fine but I have not tested SMS with more then 30 characters.

To understand what Bluetooth MAP can do (and should do) you need to see how BMW works with a Blackberry 9800. With BMW/Blackberry the iDrive downloads the last 70 emails and SMS complete messages from the Blackberry upon connection of the car to the device. With BMW/iPhone (beta 3) it does not download messages prior to connection of the phone to the car but rather downloads notifications of emails/SMS that arrive while the phone is connected to the car. Once the car and iPhone are disconnected and then reconnected, previously displayed messages are no longer displayed.

The BMW/Blackberry office integration also provides for calendar, tasks and reminders over bluetooth MAP which is very useful. For this to work, it is necessary to download an app from the Blackberry App Store (and pay $14 for the privilege). I have this working (see attached photos).

So if the measure of success is BMW/Blackberry intergration and features, then IOS 6 has some way to go. Once again, I hope they do it properly because I want to switch from Blackberry to iPhone.
A brief follow up. I loaded IOS 6 beta 4. No difference between beta 3 and beta 4 as it relates to bluetooth MAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A brief follow up. I loaded IOS 6 beta 4. No difference between beta 3 and beta 4 as it relates to bluetooth MAP.
Whatever...

Opps...I mean thanks for the update
      08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #40
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Whatever...

Opps...I mean thanks for the update
Lol - you beat me to it!

In the UK, "whatever" is shorthand for "I am defeated by your argument and don't know what to say..."
      08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Can't wait for this
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

I just updated to IOS 6 Beta 4 and my emails are not being displayed Is it just me or do you guys have the same issue ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #43
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarruda View Post
I just updated to IOS 6 Beta 4 and my emails are not being displayed Is it just me or do you guys have the same issue ?
Same issue. SMS is working but emails have stopped in Beta 4. It was suggested to remove and un-pair on both the phone and car but it has not helped.

Last edited by tlp; 08-09-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
caoimhinog
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Further update:

I have email, SMS and Whatsapp messages working with IOS 6 beta 4 and BMW code 3.5.4 on a 2011 F10. Actually, the Whatsapp is very useful indeed.

HOWEVER, it can best be described as unreliable. It works some of them time and then, for no apparent reason, it stops working. There have been no changes to either the phone or the car to provoke a sudden lack of operation.

It seems to be that the settings for notifications for each application is important. The only applications in my notifications center are Phone, Messages, Mail and WhatsApp. Each of these is configured as follows:

Notification center: ON
Show: 10 Unread Items
Alert Style: Alerts
Badge App Icon: ON
Show Preview: ON
View in Lock Screen: ON

If this was stable, I think it would be excellent but its not. I doubt we will see an update before general release (actually I'm certain we won't). So all we can do is hope that (a) they patch this up in the general release or (b) we wait until 6.1.
Appreciate 0