2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement "Engine Oil Pressure Low Stop Carefully"

12-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
G4Designs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT Dinan

Arrow BMW N63 Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement "Engine Oil Pressure Low Stop Carefully"

I recently had my oil changed at a local 20min oil change place after having engine work done (the tip of a fuel injector decided to fall into my cylinder, fun stuff, but it ran better than ever after the fix). The next time I used my car, I received the error "Engine Oil Pressure Low Stop Carefully". Since this was the only oil-related change I had made, I did a full flush and put the proper Mobile1 0w40 Euro Formula in, thinking the issue could have been caused by them using the wrong viscosity (they couldn't even put the drain screw back on properly). I cleared the errors, reset the transmission learning, and drove for a bit.

The error didn't come back for another 2 hours of driving. But now I've recently started getting it on and off. It'll run fine and for a long period (30min), then suddenly throw the error. No noticeable difference in running. Sometimes it'll disappear on its own (and either stay away for a while or come back immediately and disappear a few times). After stopping and restarting, it usually goes away.

After a ton of research, it seems to likely be a failing oil pressure sensor. That being said, I've looked everywhere and can't find any schematics or videos on where the sensor actually is. Any ideas for this? I've found repair guides for the 6-cyl, but nothing for the V8 N63. Any help would be amazing!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

realoem.com is your friend

I didn't know your MY so I picked 2012; if you need to, go back to the home page and insert your last 7.

Should be #11 in the picture:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...66#12618611273
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
G4Designs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
realoem.com is your friend

I didn't know your MY so I picked 2012; if you need to, go back to the home page and insert your last 7.

Should be #11 in the picture:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...66#12618611273
Oh, fascinating! Thank you so much!
I had looked on there, but it was only showing the oil system for what I had found. This is WAY more clear showing the orientation in the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
wihaM5
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i ; BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 Bmw 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Designs View Post
I recently had my oil changed at a local 20min oil change place after having engine work done (the tip of a fuel injector decided to fall into my cylinder, fun stuff, but it ran better than ever after the fix). The next time I used my car, I received the error "Engine Oil Pressure Low Stop Carefully". Since this was the only oil-related change I had made, I did a full flush and put the proper Mobile1 0w40 Euro Formula in, thinking the issue could have been caused by them using the wrong viscosity (they couldn't even put the drain screw back on properly). I cleared the errors, reset the transmission learning, and drove for a bit.

The error didn't come back for another 2 hours of driving. But now I've recently started getting it on and off. It'll run fine and for a long period (30min), then suddenly throw the error. No noticeable difference in running. Sometimes it'll disappear on its own (and either stay away for a while or come back immediately and disappear a few times). After stopping and restarting, it usually goes away.

After a ton of research, it seems to likely be a failing oil pressure sensor. That being said, I've looked everywhere and can't find any schematics or videos on where the sensor actually is. Any ideas for this? I've found repair guides for the 6-cyl, but nothing for the V8 N63. Any help would be amazing!
Just curious why your using 0w40.
      12-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
wihaM5
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i ; BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 Bmw 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wihaM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Designs View Post

Just curious why your using 0w40.
And newtis or ista+ will give you a breakdown of replacement procedures. You can message me and I could invite you to newtis
      12-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Bet you'll never go to that place again!!!
Appreciate 0