2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Using auto hold and start stop together

05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Using auto hold and start stop together

I am wondering what would happen if I use auto hold and start stop together, does the engine stay on at a red light or does it shut off and restart when one hits the gas?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

When using together, the brakes hold the car and then the engine stops. To re-engage, tap on the gas and it will start right back up and disengage the brake. Works pretty well together - I have had a few awkward starts, but nothing too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Thanks skiajl6297, the auto hold work great without the start stop function, but it sounds like when start stop is engage, the auto hold will create quite a delay when starting off.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Thanks skiajl6297, the auto hold work great without the start stop function, but it sounds like when start stop is engage, the auto hold will create quite a delay when starting off.
Actually, SS works great with the auto H. The engine fires up as soon an you start to depress the accelerator, and the car starts to move forward immediately. I don't feel that there is any more delay, maybe even less since you save the foot travel time from brake to accelerator
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Actually, SS works great with the auto H. The engine fires up as soon an you start to depress the accelerator, and the car starts to move forward immediately. I don't feel that there is any more delay, maybe even less since you save the foot travel time from brake to accelerator
My car is at the dealer right now, I have to try that when I get it back. The way I was drive with the SS function was to anticipate when the traffic starts to move and let go of the brake about a second ahead of time so the engine can start. If I use the auto hold, when I step on the gas, there will be a second delay for the engine to start up.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
My car is at the dealer right now, I have to try that when I get it back. The way I was drive with the SS function was to anticipate when the traffic starts to move and let go of the brake about a second ahead of time so the engine can start. If I use the auto hold, when I step on the gas, there will be a second delay for the engine to start up.
Many F30 335s have had stalling issues with SS, so I have tried to hit the gas quickly after releasing the brake to test my SS, but the car starts up right away and is ready to go. With Auto H, I feel that the engine fires up and is ready before you can get the accelerator pedal far enough down to get the car moving. Now, i wouldn't want to race anyone off the line in this scenario, but for daily driving i feel no delay
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Quote:
Agree with BigKutta - Start Stop and Auto Hold work well together, and are very responsive.

I have had one weird hiccup, where there seemed to be some minor disagreement in timing between the activation of AH, and SS. For example, I came to a complete stop, AH engaged quickly and first, I removed my foot from brake and pivoted to gas, when SS stopped the engine during the pivot. I had already begun to hit the gas as the car was shutting off from SS. (I was in constantly stop/starting city traffic moving one car length every few seconds.)

In that case, the accelerator dis-engaged the AH brake without starting the car correctly, since the engine was shutting down concurrently with my tap of the gas pedal. I tapped the gas again and nothing. I had to re-apply the brake (engaging AH while the SS held the car's engine off), and then re-apply the gas to dis-engage the AH brake, and to start the engine. All of this happened in less than 2-3 seconds, not long enough for the impatient folks behind me to honk - but it did catch me off-guard. It has only happened once or twice, and was not enough to keep me from using both features in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
Agree with BigKutta - Start Stop and Auto Hold work well together, and are very responsive.

I have had one weird hiccup, where there seemed to be some minor disagreement in timing between the activation of AH, and SS. For example, I came to a complete stop, AH engaged quickly and first, I removed my foot from brake and pivoted to gas, when SS stopped the engine during the pivot. I had already begun to hit the gas as the car was shutting off from SS. (I was in constantly stop/starting city traffic moving one car length every few seconds.)

In that case, the accelerator dis-engaged the AH brake without starting the car correctly, since the engine was shutting down concurrently with my tap of the gas pedal. I tapped the gas again and nothing. I had to re-apply the brake (engaging AH while the SS held the car's engine off), and then re-apply the gas to dis-engage the AH brake, and to start the engine. All of this happened in less than 2-3 seconds, not long enough for the impatient folks behind me to honk - but it did catch me off-guard. It has only happened once or twice, and was not enough to keep me from using both features in traffic.
Interesting scenario, and I can totally see this happening. I think it is the SS that is not designed for US stop-and-go traffic. We can be crawling for 30-45 minutes at a time, where the speed goes from 0 to 20mph to 0 in seconds, thereby always activating SS. These features are not perfect and we are the guinea pigs, so it will get better.

I never use SS or Auto H in stop and go traffic. Will do so today and report back
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Interesting scenario, and I can totally see this happening. I think it is the SS that is not designed for US stop-and-go traffic. We can be crawling for 30-45 minutes at a time, where the speed goes from 0 to 20mph to 0 in seconds, thereby always activating SS. These features are not perfect and we are the guinea pigs, so it will get better.

I never use SS or Auto H in stop and go traffic. Will do so today and report back
I don't have the SS but when driving my wife X3 with it, it is simply not for me on the other hand the Auto H is perfect, I am amazed how it only trigger at the very last instant, so a perfect system when in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post

I think thats the problem the F30 folk are having with SS, I dont think they have AH. The system get confused if you hit the gas before the SS completely shuts off the engine. The result to haveing to re-start the car again. Best thing to do is to shut off the SS is you are inching up repeatedly in heavy stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I think thats the problem the F30 folk are having with SS, I dont think they have AH. The system get confused if you hit the gas before the SS completely shuts off the engine. The result to haveing to re-start the car again. Best thing to do is to shut off the SS is you are inching up repeatedly in heavy stop and go traffic.
I always have it off in stop-and-go traffic, too annoying. I turn SS on when I know I am hitting long lights.
Appreciate 0