2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What does 'fixed in production' mean?

05-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

What does 'fixed in production' mean?

Hi,

Ordered my F11 on 16th April through a large UK lease company as my next company car.

On 30th April I contacted them as I wanted to a very slight amendment to the order (different steering wheel). They checked but I was told it wasn't possible as the car was 'fixed in production'. What does this mean? Does it mean it was being produced or about to be produced or was being produced 2 weeks down the line?

The reason I ask is because the lease company aren't being very helpful advising when the car should be delivered and I am trying to work out when the car was made from the 'fixed in production' comment made on 30th April. Car then needs to be delivered to the UK.

Thanks for any help possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

This is how it works in the US: you place the order and you can make changes until the car goes into production - at that time no more changes are possible. When you order the car the dealer gives you a production number, you enter that number at the BMW site and you can follow your car from production to delivery. The VIN # is available to the dealer and you can get it from him before the car goes into production. "Fixed in production" in your case must mean what we call "went into production" and if this is the case no changes are possible at this stage - big or small.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

Sorry, perhaps I haven't made myself clear.

Fully accept that the car can't be changed, my fault for changing my mind late in the day. What I really want to know is when the car is likely to be delivered knowing that the car was 'fixed in production' on the 30th April.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

It usually means you can make no more changes.
This is usually when your electrical harness goes into production a few days before the car is assembled.
Production takes about 48Hours. Deliver after production depends on a lot of factors, such as when the next shipment is sent to the UK.

Did they not provide you with a BMW order or VIN number so you can track the car build on the BMW UK website ?