2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Installed M5 Exhaust this weekend

04-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
andy_sk
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i Euro Spec M-Sport

Installed M5 Exhaust this weekend

Hi all:

I have a '14 535i with M-sport. Got an M5 exhaust from a fellow forum member.

So basically a few things for everyone to keep under consideration while doing this:

1) It took the muffler shop guys no more than 1 hour to do all the work and it charged me on $100.
2) As of now it is JUST the exhaust - I have not done anything else. I was planning on installing the ExhaustMeister, but after opening the bumper I realized that the 535 does not have that switch.
3) The sound has gotten louder, but I think I am still looking for some more "throatiness" to it - maybe will try to open the valves and see what that does.

On the bumper/diffuser installation part - I following this thread:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950378

Please note:
1) It is easier to just take off the entire bumper than removing only the right side. It gives you full access to do the work properly
2) Only thing missing from the above thread is in the step where you remove all screws from the bumper and trying to pull it out. According to instructions, there are 3 screws inside the wheel well. There is 4th one at the bottom section, that you need to get UNDER the car that holds the shield type material and the bumper together at the bottom. So, PLEASE do not try to use brute force to remove the bumper. If you feel resistance, check around to ensure it has no additional fasteners or screws.

Hope it helps.

Now - for me, I really need to figure it want to remove the resonator or leave the valves open to enhance the sound of the exhaust -- your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers!!
--Andy
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
I have competition ones with black tips and I left the valves open and for me the sound is about right.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Remove your resonator and install an X Pipe instead. You will get exactly the sound you are looking for, I have the same exact setup.

Keeping the valves open for me gave me drone under 2k rpm and which our 8 speed transmission it was extremely annoying on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr View Post
I have competition ones with black tips and I left the valves open and for me the sound is about right.
Did you have them welded open??
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
Remove your resonator and install an X Pipe instead. You will get exactly the sound you are looking for, I have the same exact setup.

Keeping the valves open for me gave me drone under 2k rpm and which our 8 speed transmission it was extremely annoying on the highway.
That sounds good - but how "loud" is that? I remember you sent me some pictures earlier?? So your setup is
Stock M5 exhaust
Closed Valves
x-pipes
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_sk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post

That sounds good - but how "loud" is that? I remember you sent me some pictures earlier?? So your setup is
Stock M5 exhaust
Closed Valves
x-pipes
Correct. It's not "loud" but it's throaty and sounds very very sporty, aggressively classy if that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      04-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #7
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Post a sound clip of how it sounds now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have them welded open??
Yes, like I said the sound is just what I wanted. It doesnt bother inside the cabin o low rpms but when I push the pedal you can hear a throaty acceleration

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #9
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Hi all:

I have a '14 535i with M-sport. Got an M5 exhaust from a fellow forum member.

So basically a few things for everyone to keep under consideration while doing this:

1) It took the muffler shop guys no more than 1 hour to do all the work and it charged me on $100.
2) As of now it is JUST the exhaust - I have not done anything else. I was planning on installing the ExhaustMeister, but after opening the bumper I realized that the 535 does not have that switch.
3) The sound has gotten louder, but I think I am still looking for some more "throatiness" to it - maybe will try to open the valves and see what that does.

On the bumper/diffuser installation part - I following this thread:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950378

Please note:
1) It is easier to just take off the entire bumper than removing only the right side. It gives you full access to do the work properly
2) Only thing missing from the above thread is in the step where you remove all screws from the bumper and trying to pull it out. According to instructions, there are 3 screws inside the wheel well. There is 4th one at the bottom section, that you need to get UNDER the car that holds the shield type material and the bumper together at the bottom. So, PLEASE do not try to use brute force to remove the bumper. If you feel resistance, check around to ensure it has no additional fasteners or screws.

Hope it helps.

Now - for me, I really need to figure it want to remove the resonator or leave the valves open to enhance the sound of the exhaust -- your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers!!
--Andy
Nice! Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

nice!

did u install the m5 crossmember for the exhaust?

I did that on my 550i, i'm assuming you can do that on the 535i as well.

it has bushings that bolt between the exhaust and the cross member...which will keep the droning way...specially if you remove the resonators.

is that the comp package exhaust or the standard exhaust from the m5?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
nice!

did u install the m5 crossmember for the exhaust?

I did that on my 550i, i'm assuming you can do that on the 535i as well.

it has bushings that bolt between the exhaust and the cross member...which will keep the droning way...specially if you remove the resonators.

is that the comp package exhaust or the standard exhaust from the m5?
xxPaniPuri (LOL ... BTW that id is so funny - coz my daughter loves pani puri that's the first thing we get at the restaurant)

To answer your questions:
Did not install the M5 cross member. Thats a good point you have on the drone, maybe I will look it up. Where do I get that part?

I will either remove the resonators or tinker with the valves this weekend, see how it goes. Might even get x-pipes done. Will post more pics.

This is a standard M5 exhaust - could not find any comp package ones.

As I mentioned, I did have the exhaustMeister with this, but realized that my car does not have the vacuum switch - i think the 550i has it though.

So - tomorrow getting H&R springs and maybe the x-pipes.

Cheers!!
--Andy
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

There is a thread on the forums, that has that part # or you can go to get Bmw parts DOT com and, search there or just email them, there is also 2 bushings and 2 nuts that you have to buy as well
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Panipuri is my fave! I've had this username for over 20 years, back in college I needed a new user name that wasn't taken for my aol instant messenger account. And even today xxpanipuri is usually not taken lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 02:41 AM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

is it me or is your undercarriage pretty damn clean?! lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00
      04-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Kaane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i

Are those press bent pipes before the muffler??? Come on....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:58 AM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
Are those press bent pipes before the muffler??? Come on....
would that be an issue
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
is it me or is your undercarriage pretty damn clean?! lol!
lol.. that was the first thing I said to myself when I saw the pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
would that be an issue
I was thinking the same. Not sure if there is any issue related to pressure. But the stock pipes are smaller than the connecter. 2.5 inches, going into about 3.25.

--Andy
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
lol.. that was the first thing I said to myself when I saw the pics.

Thanks guys ... yeah, i've had the car for 2 months now. It was BARELY used when I got it ... as a matter of fact, don't think it had ever seen rain.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
andy_sk
Private
Rep

Sound clip ... Valves open. Have not noticed any severe droning ... a little bit at low rpm's. But when driving in sports mode it goes away.

In anycase, wife has not complained as yet ... so keeping the valves open for now. May end up closing them.

Appreciate 3
S1ammin44.00
gabypr150.00
      04-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Sound clip ... Valves open. Have not noticed any severe droning ... a little bit at low rpm's. But when driving in sports mode it goes away.

In anycase, wife has not complained as yet ... so keeping the valves open for now. May end up closing them.

I toyed around with different setups and ended up just keeping the right side valve open and closing the left side. For me, it's perfect but lacking the throatiness as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking the same. Not sure if there is any issue related to pressure. But the stock pipes are smaller than the connecter. 2.5 inches, going into about 3.25.

--Andy
Yeah, I know I'll need some transducers going from the 2.5" pipe to whatever the size is for the 550?
Appreciate 0