2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealer called today - my undelivered car has be written off !

02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Dealer called today - my undelivered car has be written off !

Took a call from my BMW dealer late this afternoon. I assumed it was to confirm that I could collect my new F10 on the 1st March as planned, but he said sorry I've got some bad news..... Your car was on route to the UK and the compound it was being stored in was broken into and 15 cars have been vandalised and written off.... This means your car will now have to be rebuilt and a replacement has been ordered from the factory.... As you can imagine there was stunned silence from my end. I told him I was in a meeting and would need to call him back, he said to call him tomorrow and he will let me have more details. I ordered my car on the 20th Nov and have been impatiently waiting for the first of March to come, this is just unbelievable...

Now my suspicious mind says this sounds very fishy, but I assume it could happen. My fear is that if this has happened then the car is returned to the factory, repaired and then re-delivered. Or, is this just an excuse for late delivery? Seems a bit cruel if it is.

When I call in the morning I will ask for the new build week of the car and a written assurance that this isn't the repaired car. I assume there must be a plate in the engine bay that states the build week for me to check.

Has anyone else had this call, are you waiting for one of the other 14 damaged cars, or anyone ever heard of this before?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I have never heard of that, but a couple of days ago, it was reported in the news that a transporter carrying BMW cars overturned (or was involved in some sort of accident) and I presume that all of the cars it was carrying were written off.

If I was you, I would ask for some sort offer of goodwill due to the inconvenience?

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Edit: Here is the link to the news story

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/o...4-this-evening

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
ukrandriy89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535xi

it is possible, when i had ordered my f10, i had a late delivery. It was getting to the point where I went to the dealer to get my deposit back because no one knew what was going on, where it was, or the status. Turns out, when my car was being taken off the ship, the employee had scratched my bumper, so my car was left at the port while parts where ordered from Germany, then painted to the color, and then installed. Ask for a vin# of the current and the new one, and then match them up
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I had a new car go missing on the way from Germany, back in 1990. A Vauxhall Cavalier GSi 2000, built at the Opel works at the time. The dealer just couldn't find where it had gone, the paper trail had gone dead. A couple of weeks went by before Vauxhall identified it in a compound, damaged, waiting for repair. My dealer had to source another example very quickly, as my lease was up.

These things do happen.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Nubs61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix

There must be bad karma going around. After waiting 8 weeks, get an email today from my sales guy who says not to come in for pickup for my 550xi. He tells me the during transport from port to dealership the carrier hit an overpass and all cars were damaged. He doesn't have the details but I immediately told him I don't want to take the car now.

He says he needs to find out how bad car is damaged and talk to BMW of NA. I understand it was accident but don't want to take a car I will always wonder how serious the damage really was??? No I'm in limbo, not knowing if they are going to force it on me or order a new one. Now the lease on current 550i is up and he says make the
payment and we will go from there.

What would you guys do or expect in this situation? What sort of accommodation is reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

A scratch on a bumper is one thing - it can easily be repaired or replaced and be "good as new." Fact is, this probably happens from time to time at BMW's own facilities - they repair or replace the part and move on. You can't trash an entire car full of perfectly new parts just due to a minor incident.

That said, if the damage is extensive - multiple parts, body damage, interior damage, glass, etc, it starts to cross a line. I'm not sure if there are laws regarding this (probably not, as it appears most states in the US, at least, are pretty lax on definition of "new car"), but I'd certainly want to find out from BMW how badly the car was damaged if they intend to repair and re-deliver.

As for the OP's situation, if the car was written off, I highly doubt they're planning to recycle it to you. If they're ordering a new car, sounds like a build from scratch deal. That's sucky - sorry to hear. Perhaps you can check available inventory? Perhaps the inventory situation has changed since you ordered in November with something now out there that meets your requirements?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
A scratch on a bumper is one thing - it can easily be repaired or replaced and be "good as new." Fact is, this probably happens from time to time at BMW's own facilities - they repair or replace the part and move on. You can't trash an entire car full of perfectly new parts just due to a minor incident.

That said, if the damage is extensive - multiple parts, body damage, interior damage, glass, etc, it starts to cross a line. I'm not sure if there are laws regarding this (probably not, as it appears most states in the US, at least, are pretty lax on definition of "new car"), but I'd certainly want to find out from BMW how badly the car was damaged if they intend to repair and re-deliver.

As for the OP's situation, if the car was written off, I highly doubt they're planning to recycle it to you. If they're ordering a new car, sounds like a build from scratch deal. That's sucky - sorry to hear. Perhaps you can check available inventory? Perhaps the inventory situation has changed since you ordered in November with something now out there that meets your requirements?
Atleast they are being honest with you and ordering a new car ... instead of the alternative of trying to pawn off something that was fixed prior to delivery!

I know the wait definitely will suck ... but the F10 is well worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
skipsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520 D M Sport

Bad luck mate. My build date sticker is on the drivers door shut next to the tyre pressure chart
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith View Post
Bad luck mate. My build date sticker is on the drivers door shut next to the tyre pressure chart
You are so naive and trusting. You obviously haven't been to the Dingolfing factory to see all the heavily damaged cars being run through the assembly line a second time, with a special station to glue on a fake build-date sticker.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
You are so naive and trusting. You obviously haven't been to the Dingolfing factory to see all the heavily damaged cars being run through the assembly line a second time, with a special station to glue on a fake build-date sticker.
Not sure if you are joking, but using VIN decoders the production date can easily be found:

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

To create a new manufacturing date, the VIN number has to be changed as well. When the OP get's his car he can easily check the production date on a VIN decoder.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Interesting. I've been in the auto industry for more than 20 years and have spent time in many plants working on systems and have never seen or heard of a car going back through the assembly line. They generally go to the repair/body shop in the factory to be repaired. Please share more details of what you've seen at Dingolfing and how they manage to get an assembled car back onto the assembly line.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500
Took a call from my BMW dealer late this afternoon. I assumed it was to confirm that I could collect my new F10 on the 1st March as planned, but he said sorry I've got some bad news..... Your car was on route to the UK and the compound it was being stored in was broken into and 15 cars have been vandalised and written off.... This means your car will now have to be rebuilt and a replacement has been ordered from the factory.... As you can imagine there was stunned silence from my end. I told him I was in a meeting and would need to call him back, he said to call him tomorrow and he will let me have more details. I ordered my car on the 20th Nov and have been impatiently waiting for the first of March to come, this is just unbelievable...

Now my suspicious mind says this sounds very fishy, but I assume it could happen. My fear is that if this has happened then the car is returned to the factory, repaired and then re-delivered. Or, is this just an excuse for late delivery? Seems a bit cruel if it is.

When I call in the morning I will ask for the new build week of the car and a written assurance that this isn't the repaired car. I assume there must be a plate in the engine bay that states the build week for me to check.

Has anyone else had this call, are you waiting for one of the other 14 damaged cars, or anyone ever heard of this before?
Called the dealer today and told me that 15 cars were in a warehouse waiting to be shipped to the UK. Thieves got in and stripped the cars and damaged them. He also assured me that my car had been reordered by them and was now scheduled for week 10 build. He guaranteed me it would not be the original car repaired.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Called the dealer today and told me that 15 cars were in a warehouse waiting to be shipped to the UK. Thieves got in and stripped the cars and damaged them. He also assured me that my car had been reordered by them and was now scheduled for week 10 build. He guaranteed me it would not be the original car repaired.
Sad to hear that.
u should have asked to change the paint colour if u feel something is fishy.
      02-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
skipsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520 D M Sport

Quote:
Nothing to do with being naive and trusting, Andy k asked if there was a build date sticker and I answered him.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500 View Post
I am sure this will be the case andyk. Really sorry to hear of your issues, at least a week 10 build is not too far away, just a few more agonising weeks, but it will be worth it.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0