2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan Exhaust too Quiet. What to do/add next? f10 550i

12-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

Dinan Exhaust too Quiet. What to do/add next? f10 550i

So I bought Dinans axle back exhaust, it improved the sound, mainly when starting and idling, but nothing too extreme when accelerating.

Want it a little louder, more noticeable. X-pipe, or catted downpipes? or what are options out there? I don't want to wake the neighbors up when I start the car at 4am, but want people to hear it from a distance when im coming and going.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_sarky View Post
So I bought Dinans axle back exhaust, it improved the sound, mainly when starting and idling, but nothing too extreme when accelerating.

Want it a little louder, more noticeable. X-pipe, or catted downpipes? or what are options out there? I don't want to wake the neighbors up when I start the car at 4am, but want people to hear it from a distance when im coming and going.
got a video clip? i know FenixMIke chimed in on another thread regarding this...i'll find it.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

here you go...i just copied some of the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Sound comes from the mufflers unfortunately... I took the time to remove all my resonators and install an xpipe and it really didnt make a difference. The main purpose of resonators is to reduce resonance, they really dont contribute a whole lot to actual sound. Would it make a minimal difference? Sure, might give you a hair more if thats what youre looking for, but it may also increase interior drone with that. Really need to either think about selling the exhaust and going louder, or possibly doing a set of downpipes to increase sound that way. Even catted downpipes will increase volume, but if it gets too loud you can also replace the factory resonators with magnaflow magnapacks, or a magnaflow cross flow muffler which is my personal favorite.

Unfortunately Xpipes really dont change overall volume much, and in many cases reduce resonance and sound as it balances out the chambers properly and introduces exhaust scavenging. Any dual exhaust system I build gets an Xpipe for its function, but in my opinion also makes for a better sound. Have you considered just locking the valves open, or getting one of the kits where you can open the exhaust when you want to ?

Im not sure what a "center pipe" is exactly, unless youre referring to a mid section and removing the resonators... Unfortunately starting quiet and going louder tends to be the more expensive route as you will start to notice every little issue when your exhaust gets louder, as well as having it never "loud enough". I prefer to start loud and add mufflers/resonators to achieve desired volume and resonance. With that in mind, you already stated it sounds fine with the valves open, best bet is just lock the valves open.

Catted downpipes will still increase volume while not requiring a tune, and as far as your warranty goes, they will be looking for reasons to void it just as much with your new exhaust as they will with downpipes... There is nothing in the BMW warranty stating Exhaust modifications are acceptable, so just keep that in mind.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Member Evolve has, I think, a 6-series exhaust on his 535i which sounds amazing. I'm not an exhaust-sound-noticing kind of guy, but when I heard his I suddenly understood what all the fuss is about. Send a PM to him for details...Sorry that I can't remember any.
      12-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Downpipe would be your best bet for a louder exhaust or sell the Dinan get a GTHaus Meisterschaft

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Downpipe would be your best bet for a louder exhaust or sell the Dinan get a GTHaus Meisterschaft
+1 on the Meisterschaft!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Curious as to what you have done since your first post. Any updates?
Is there a valve control kit for the Dinan set up?
      01-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
here you go...i just copied some of the conversation:
Good post. So are there available valve control kits for the Dinan Exhaust? A quick search didn't get me much?
      01-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_sarky

Resonator delete is your best bet, it'll open up the sound of the mufflers. Gives the exhaust a nice burble and pop. No drone on mine. I have m5 RPI mufflers , resonator delete + 3" custom catback.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23 View Post
Good post. So are there available valve control kits for the Dinan Exhaust? A quick search didn't get me much?
None that I know of? The only EV's are Armytrix, Meisterschaft and Frequency Intelligent
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
None that I know of? The only EV's are Armytrix, Meisterschaft and Frequency Intelligent
Thanks!
      01-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #12
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Just had this installed on my still filthy 650. Sounds good and aggressive.
Nice thing about meistershaft is a valve that bypasses the muffler to give you more roar when you want it.
akrapovic is awesome, and has the same sort of exhaust valve, but allows the engine to open it via your car's brain. Downsides are price, and they do not make one for the non m cars. There is not too much difference, but the crazy price and cutting into titanium backed me off.
If you want to make what you have louder go with catless downpipes, and worry about the CEL later.
Appreciate 0