2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Windscreen Replacement

10-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE ED

Windscreen Replacement

Hi all,
on my drive home yesterday I got pelted with small stones falling from a mixer truck. It chipped the screen in several places, and one developed into a 7" crack last night. I also picked up a few stone chips on the front bumper. The truck failed to stop but I got the registration and company name and drove to their depot. I got a call from the driver this morning explaining that he'd accidentally engaged the discharge on the mixer as he drove and thrown out water and gravel. He's paying for the screen, and after looking at the chips I've decided to touch them in (genuine paint from the dealers which he is also paying for). The bumper already has a few minor marks and I don't fancy having it painted. A screen has already been sourced in a reputable installers and can be fitted tomorrow. If there anything I need to look out for, for example the rain sensing wipers etc? The car is a '12 520d SE. Can after market screens cause trouble? I've only ever had one replaced in the past and I did think it was not as sturdy as the genuine (jaguar) one.
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update;
I've spoken to the fitter (an independent, not a chain) and he has confirmed that they will fit a Pilkington screen, which apparently is OEM? I've also read elsewhere that this is the case?
Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Hi,
I had mine replaced last October after 62,000 hard miles, lots of little pits in the glass, was replaced by autoglass with a pilkington one, had exactly the same markings as the oe one which came off.

For some reason this screen seems to be softer, has picked up chips much more quickly

Monday morning a rock hits it and I get a growing crack...

Speak to autoglass, can't get it done for a few days, speak to BMW who quoted £555 in parts and £460 in labour (sytner Solihull)

Insurance company agreed to pay BMW to do the work with only the glass excess being due with no effect on my ncb

May be worth getting a quote and approaching your insurance company
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

My research suggests that wipers are rarely an issue but clever headlamps and HUDs can be. If the screen has "BMW" stamped on it it is OEM. If it hasn't, it effectively isn't OEM because BMW won't recognise it as such. If your car is out of warranty then this probably won't matter but if it isn't, I'd want a real BMW windscreen. Mine was 1000 sheets so your mixer truck driver might feel it has been a harsh lesson.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Gents,
thanks for the advice. I had a screen changed in a Jag before and noticed it was significantly 'softer' as well, but I think that has more to do with the installation than the screen. The guy that did the last one was sloppy, so sloppy in fact that I ended up pulling a 1" piece of glass out of my wife's foot one day. My car is out of warranty and has no fancy toys that I know of so I'm hoping it'll be ok. I have screen cover that doesn't effect my NCB, but I have several policies (classic car, named on the wife's and I have a policy for the tractors) and I'd have to declare the claim and update the info on all of them which is a pain (been there). The guy is an owner driver working for a large firm and wants to avoid his insurance company at all cost so I don't want to screw him either for what was an honest mistake. For now I'm watching the crack and holding off as we are about to get hit by another storm and the windscreen fitters are extremely busy after Ophelia.
Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Have you spoken to your fitter and asked them the price for a genuine BMW stamped screen?
The price differential if sourced correctly may not be that great.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Have you spoken to your fitter and asked them the price for a genuine BMW stamped screen?
The price differential if sourced correctly may not be that great.
I haven't done that but I certainly will follow it up.

Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

As has been said if it's in warranty then BMW will insist that a genuine screen is fitted otherwise your warranty is a risk.

Normally insurance companies agree to a Genuine screen on cars within warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Aviva agreed to a genuine replacement despite it being 4yrs old as I argued the rain sensor needed calibrating (previous replacement by autoglass and sensor has never been right)
Appreciate 0