2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i with 55k miles - good deal?

12-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #23
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

15k oil changes leading to carbon buildup (i.e. walnut blasting heads)?
Extended warranties worth every penny?
$32,000 for a new engine?

Wow, what serious disinformation in this thread!

Extended oil changes with good synthetic oil are well documented - shorter intervals are recommended "just in case." The data is clear. Carbon buildup in some vehicles and not others is still a relative mystery but has little to do with the engine oil. Direct injection is at fault and long "hot" trips may mitigate it to some extent.

My "extended warranty" is to take great care of my new "exotic" car and drive it to 200,000 miles easily, and so far in my 35+ years of ownership, I can't think of a repair before the car gets to 120,000 miles that such warranties would cover. I am easily $27,000 ahead so the money is still somewhere in my net worth ready to go for an expensive repair, and not at a dealer for goodness sakes... I have reliable independent mechanics do such work (hint: dealers go to them to solve difficult problems!).

A "new" slightly used engine reportedly costs way less and again, not at a dealer.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0