2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Rough shift issue.

07-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Rough shift issue.

Lately I've had a thud coming to a stop rarely. Got my cars software updated. Now it is worse then ever. I know there's many posts on this never seen a solid answer. I'm replacing my guibo soon as it's dry rotted and cracked. Is there a possibility that my transmission is failing? or valvebody issues?
      07-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Mileage? has trans fluid been replaced?

xHP or nah?

is it just as you're coasting and almost stopping, or upon letting off the gas before hitting the brakes?

are you on original thrust arm bushings?
      07-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
Mileage? has trans fluid been replaced?

xHP or nah?

is it just as you're coasting and almost stopping, or upon letting off the gas before hitting the brakes?

are you on original thrust arm bushings?
113k miles currently, did trans fluid and pan change fluid wasn't burnt at 100k. no tune, haven't gotten to the thrust arm bushing. Waiting on my guibo flex disc that's cracked bad.
Attached Images

07-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
113k miles currently, did trans fluid and pan change fluid wasn't burnt at 100k. no tune, haven't gotten to the thrust arm bushing. Waiting on my guibo flex disc that's cracked bad.
eek! Yea that bad boi's gotta go. #byeFelicia

I was asking about when exactly this thud took place because (although a dryrot and cracked guibo can do all kinds of noises and vibrations to your drivetrain), thuds are more common with busted thrust arm bushings. And these tend to manifest most often coasting over crappy road surface AND when going from coasting to accelerating/ accelerating to coasting- that switchover point of forward momentum will cause your entire knuckle assembly to rock back and forth with worn out TA bushings. This sometimes creates thuds, but most frequently will cause a vibration on the steering wheel when braking hard kind of like when you have warped rotors.

Having said that, I'd suggest just doing a quick visual inspection of those bushings. Best viewed if the engine splash guard is out of the way so you can better see both sides of each.

I also just realized you were Xdrive! Due to the mileage, I'd also recommend taking a peek also at the condition of the front axles' boots (inner and outers). Axles that leaked all the grease for some time can also develop excessive play at the CV joint that tore and this play can cause thuds and all kinds of noises
      07-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
eek! Yea that bad boi's gotta go. #byeFelicia

I was asking about when exactly this thud took place because (although a dryrot and cracked guibo can do all kinds of noises and vibrations to your drivetrain), thuds are more common with busted thrust arm bushings. And these tend to manifest most often coasting over crappy road surface AND when going from coasting to accelerating/ accelerating to coasting- that switchover point of forward momentum will cause your entire knuckle assembly to rock back and forth with worn out TA bushings. This sometimes creates thuds, but most frequently will cause a vibration on the steering wheel when braking hard kind of like when you have warped rotors.

Having said that, I'd suggest just doing a quick visual inspection of those bushings. Best viewed if the engine splash guard is out of the way so you can better see both sides of each.

I also just realized you were Xdrive! Due to the mileage, I'd also recommend taking a peek also at the condition of the front axles' boots (inner and outers). Axles that leaked all the grease for some time can also develop excessive play at the CV joint that tore and this play can cause thuds and all kinds of noises
My front axles were replaced with new hub assembly, I will have to peak at the other control arms and bushings when I get my guibo replaced. Appreciate your help!!
      07-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Car rear diff bushings are probably worn out too. I have kits for sale if you are diy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
Car rear diff bushings are probably worn out too. I have kits for sale if you are diy.
Already replaced diff bushing,thanks though
      07-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Sounds like leaky seals in the mechatronics probably already caused its damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
where can I find the seals at? only seals I see on fcpeuro that bigger one that seals the plug doesn't leak already inspected that I know some of my bushings and balljoints have leaked beyond repair too
      07-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
where can I find the seals at? only seals I see on fcpeuro that bigger one that seals the plug doesn't leak already inspected that I know some of my bushings and balljoints have leaked beyond repair too
I can tell you that for the F10's ZF8HP, BMW does not sell those seals separate (I just checked it with my VIN and without a VIN to see all options and no luck). They are only sold with the mechatronics kit. NOW... that's not to say they are not readily available aftermarket directly from ZF, OR that BMW has them available and I just can't search them (but this is why I checked without a VIN).
      07-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I can tell you that for the F10's ZF8HP, BMW does not sell those seals separate (I just checked it with my VIN and without a VIN to see all options and no luck). They are only sold with the mechatronics kit. NOW... that's not to say they are not readily available aftermarket directly from ZF, OR that BMW has them available and I just can't search them (but this is why I checked without a VIN).
I'm just in doubt that it's trans related perhaps flex from failed bushings causing this. the cars shifts fine just when its that torque transfer if you understand what I mean. Going from park to drive the entire car has a squat movement. No clunks from the trans at all.
      07-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #12
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
... just when its that torque transfer if you understand what I mean. Going from park to drive the entire car has a squat movement. No clunks from the trans at all.
WOW hold up! That's a drivetrain mount issue. Check all mounts of your drivetrain when you get under the car next. Especially the big one that holds the back of the transfer case.

Also when under there, try grabbing the driveshaft and checking for freeplay on it by spinning it. Also try general free-play by pushing it in all directions to put pressure on the center carrier bearing. This is something that can cause exactly what you're describing
BurrNinja430.50
      07-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
... just when its that torque transfer if you understand what I mean. Going from park to drive the entire car has a squat movement. No clunks from the trans at all.
WOW hold up! That's a drivetrain mount issue. Check all mounts of your drivetrain when you get under the car next. Especially the big one that holds the back of the transfer case.

Also when under there, try grabbing the driveshaft and checking for freeplay on it by spinning it. Also try general free-play by pushing it in all directions to put pressure on the center carrier bearing. This is something that can cause exactly what you're describing
Appreciate this I just had doubts that my transmission is failing. I will check them when I replace my guibo.
      07-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Try this if you got xHP... set the car to start in second gear and drive it for a week like that to see if this thud comes back. I had the same issue and after setting to always be on second gear I never get the thud anymore. I know damage is already done on mine and it is what it is now lol.

If this was related to mounts and guibo then you would feel vibrations while driving fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #15
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Try this if you got xHP... set the car to start in second gear and drive it for a week like that to see if this thud comes back. I had the same issue and after setting to always be on second gear I never get the thud anymore. I know damage is already done on mine and it is what it is now lol.

If this was related to mounts and guibo then you would feel vibrations while driving fast.
I do feel vibrations when doing 60+ the thud so far is gone... odd imo. It went ever since I reset throttle adaptations. Drove it normal no getting on it haven't felt it since. The car still squats like it's in the gym. Just got my guibo in today will be replacing that tomorrow or Monday.
      12-17-2023, 01:00 AM   #16
VeryCaptain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i, 1997 BMW 540i6

Did you end up fixing this issue? Currently experiencing the exact same symptoms with my 2011 528i.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:54 PM   #17
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Sonax sells a zip kit for the 8HP that renews/improves a lot of seals and other elements, and also sell the valve body plate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:16 AM   #18
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Sonax sells a zip kit for the 8HP that renews/improves a lot of seals and other elements, and also sell the valve body plate.
I've gotten rid of the 535i, got into a g30 540i appreciate this though!