2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum I once thought like you!

09-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
GT Convert
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT Sport xDrive

My handsome black GT...I love this car!!!

When I first saw the 550 GT at my local dealership, I was shocked. I asked myself the same question that has been posted here and elsewhere many times, "why would BMW make such a monstrosity and for whom"?

I was coming off my lease of a E93 (2008 M3 Cab 6 spd) and before that one of my all time favs the E39 (2002 530 M-Sport). I was looking to order a F10 M-Sport/xDrive, but did not want to wait 3 months for the car to arrive. So I took full advantage of the opportunity to “play”. I drove pretty much the entire line-up – the 3’s, 5’s, 7’s, X’s, all except the 550 GT.

I was looking for something that would delight my senses and fill my passengers with JOY. Between looking at all the various models, I was loaned a 550 GT for a day. That’s all it took. Members of the forum, especially all those who can’t stand this car for its looks, weight, or purpose, you must drive it. Just once! Sit in all the seats. Hammer it off the line. Take a corner like you are driving a M3. Drive around a passenger or two. Park it in a shopping mall and look at the number of people staring at it with a smile. Stand by it and hear the praise and comments from enthusiast alike. This vehicle is a work of art and it will gain more acceptance.

In a few short months, Dinan will release new software for the GT which will boost hp in the 550i GT to 495 at 5000 rpm and torque to 573 at 3500 rpm!! My 21" Summer Wheels and Tires are already on order.

Believe me I’m surprised to say all this. "I Am A GT Convert" and wanted to share my experience as a new owner with all you enlightened BMW enthusiasts. You should really drive this car before you knock it. After all, I once thought just like you!

Safe driving and keep sharing.
[/SIZE]
Attached Images

Last edited by GT Convert; 10-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Well I can only say I liked it from my first view - a 7 Series hatch - at a failry reasonable price. If I had purchased a 7 equipped like my GT it would have cost over a 100K. I didnt expect it to be as lithe as say an e90 in the corners. However what I did expect; is for it to haul ass, and stuff (in that order), while being sure footed and teutonically firm. So I don't mind the luxury, nor the size, nor the weight. And to be honest, all I have received is praise, the majority of which appear to come from car enthusiasts. I like it because it has a sleeper effect. I pulled rather hard on an arrogant dude in an SL550 (yes I know its a heavy car too) which is pretty quick it's own right. All the dude could say after looking at GT tail lights is - "don't make me go get my s65". I told him to get what ever he needs, of course these cars arent s65 quick , but the jest of it is, the GT has balls and is quite capable -especially on the highway.

Welcome, I am glad you see the merits that the GT has to offer. It may not be for everyone, but in ,my opinion style and taste is personal anyway. If I wanted to blend in I would have got a 328 or a Camry (flame suite on) LOL!
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Well said.

Not sure why it has drawn such polarized reactions; but one cannot deny its presence and its stance. And it is a bargain too, 7 series comfort and room at 5 series price!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Twenties
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Turismo 550i

Very well said. I've experienced each of the things you've mentioned.

2010 BMW GT 550i (F07) Euro Delivery
Blue/wht+blk/ceramic. Spt pkg+20, Seat, Camera.
Appreciate 0