2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Scuffed up Bumper

01-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi, '11 328xi (ret)

Scuffed up Bumper

Had a minor fender bender and was left with this damage. You can hardly feel the scuff marks, except in some places where a finger nail can get snagged.

Based on what I hear, I am not encouraged to getting this fixed without either replacing the entire bumper or have to respray it.

I could live with it but would like to make it look less noticeable. I have the touchup paint, but I am confident it will not be a perfect match. I've used it already to touchup a paint chip and it was darker.

Oddly, it is called Sophisto Gray and the dealer insisted that this was the right color for Dark Graphite.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkgraphiteNYC View Post
Had a minor fender bender and was left with this damage. You can hardly feel the scuff marks, except in some places where a finger nail can get snagged.

Based on what I hear, I am not encouraged to getting this fixed without either replacing the entire bumper or have to respray it.

I could live with it but would like to make it look less noticeable. I have the touchup paint, but I am confident it will not be a perfect match. I've used it already to touchup a paint chip and it was darker.

Oddly, it is called Sophisto Gray and the dealer insisted that this was the right color for Dark Graphite.

I think a detailing shop will get 99% of that cleared up with just a machine polish.
Do not use paint on that.

i would guess a lot of that scratch is actually from the other vehicle.
So first step is to clean it properly to get rid of everything that is not part of the paint.
Then I would guess most of the scratch is in the clear coat and can be polished out.

Just check out the pictures in this thread what he was able to "buff out" after a similar incident.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048681
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

I could get that out with my meguiars MF polishing kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I am encouraged! I will look into that Meguiars MF polishing kit. Sounds like it would be a pretty good thing to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quite amazing job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
I think a detailing shop will get 99% of that cleared up with just a machine polish.
Do not use paint on that.

i would guess a lot of that scratch is actually from the other vehicle.
So first step is to clean it properly to get rid of everything that is not part of the paint.
Then I would guess most of the scratch is in the clear coat and can be polished out.

Just check out the pictures in this thread what he was able to "buff out" after a similar incident.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048681
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkgraphiteNYC View Post

Did you get this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am looking to having it fixed within the next couple of weeks. I will post pics after the work is done.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
DarkgraphiteNYC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had most of the scratches buffed out. Probably 90-95% of the scratches are gone. Interestingly, half of the detailers I contacted said they couldn't do anything because of the plastic. Good thing I kept calling around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0