2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW Assist Nightmares

07-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive

BMW Assist Nightmares

Hello,

Anyone experience BMW assist nightmares? I am getting a feeling that these people and the technology is stuck somewhere in the 80's...

As soon as I got the car, I wanted to try the apps. So I called BMW Assist and they told me the dealer or you need to send car sticker, etc so we can register it with the system. So I didn't wait for the dealer, I send the info to them. I called in few days expecting everything to work.

Contacted BMW Assist 6/23/14
1st Call = They told me everything is fine, reset password, try in few hours
2nd Call = They told me the info needs to be transferred to another system, you have to wait 2 weeks.
3rd Call in 2 weeks = They told me your password is incorrect, then after few minutes the rep realized that the old account was overwritten by dealer. She said told me she get me access very shortly.
4th Call next day = She gives me a call that everything been fixed. I call back tell that I still can't log in, it looks like its still under old account. They try different things, said they can't do anything and need to open up a ticket. This will take few days to resolve.
5th Call two weeks later - Still working on it, too early, they told me its being re-routed all over the place and final destination Germany.

Update... 8/13/14
Now approaching almost 2 months..
6th Call. About two weeks ago I talked to a rep again - she said that my old BMW assist account was still open and that was causing a problem too. She tried to shut it down, couldn't. She said there were on a new system which is causing issues. She told me she will call me as soon as the issue is fixed - so far no calls.
- So few days ago I receive a letter that my old BMW account will be terminated Aug 20th. After Aug 20th I will try the app again and see what happens...

... to be continued

I told the rep if you have given me one of those BMW surveys I would have rated BMW Assist a 0. I am starting to actually laugh about the whole situation. Since this car is a lease, I am asking my self, are they going to give me access 1 day before I have to give it back?

Another thing I have an Android device, it looks like with Android 4.4 KitKat, "My BMW Remote App" doesn't even show up the in the PlayStore. So I had to manually download an older version of the app that I found on the web. The other apps don't even load, they crash.

Last edited by slingxshot; 08-13-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I haven't used BMW Assist much, but I'll say I was underwhelmed in those instances. I've not had any repetitive issues like yours, but I've found them much less helpful than I would have thought reasonable.

Also, regarding the apps, I've posted threads on this recently. I had the older version of the Android Remote app, but it stopped working altogether months ago now. My understanding is that the system is changing, and the old app doesn't support the newest interfaces. Some people have reported that the old Android app was still working for them - perhaps customers are being migrated to the new system in chunks, and therefore maybe the old app still works for some. After all, it would load, and even send the commands... but it would then just come back and say it wasn't successful.

BMW has a LONG way to go with these integrated apps, and BMW Assist can you a shot in the arm, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive

^bump
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
bcarte3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i - Jet Black M-Sport

I had the same issue when I purchased my F10. My old 2009 E60 BMW Assist registration needed to be closed out by a service advisor at the dealership. A new BMW Assist activation application will need to be done by your service advisor and completed at the dealership. Once all that has been submitted (Same day), press the SOS button in your car and complete registration with BMW Assist in Car. It should only take about 30 minutes to do with the dealership. Trust me all of this should take no more than 1 hr to complete on the same day.

A lot of times the Service Advisor unfortunately may not know what to due but the Service Manager does. IT should have never take this long to complete. As a matter of fact if it was brand new your BMW Sales Associate should have completed this for you.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes. My dealership in Houston is Advantage BMW and I have been going there since 2005 when I moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingxshot View Post
Hello,

Anyone experience BMW assist nightmares? I am getting a feeling that these people and the technology is stuck somewhere in the 80's...

As soon as I got the car, I wanted to try the apps. So I called BMW Assist and they told me the dealer or you need to send car sticker, etc so we can register it with the system. So I didn't wait for the dealer, I send the info to them. I called in few days expecting everything to work.

Contacted BMW Assist 6/23/14
1st Call = They told me everything is fine, reset password, try in few hours
2nd Call = They told me the info needs to be transferred to another system, you have to wait 2 weeks.
3rd Call in 2 weeks = They told me your password is incorrect, then after few minutes the rep realized that the old account was overwritten by dealer. She said told me she get me access very shortly.
4th Call next day = She gives me a call that everything been fixed. I call back tell that I still can't log in, it looks like its still under old account. They try different things, said they can't do anything and need to open up a ticket. This will take few days to resolve.
5th Call two weeks later - Still working on it, too early, they told me its being re-routed all over the place and final destination Germany.

Update... 8/13/14
Now approaching almost 2 months..
6th Call. About two weeks ago I talked to a rep again - she said that my old BMW assist account was still open and that was causing a problem too. She tried to shut it down, couldn't. She said there were on a new system which is causing issues. She told me she will call me as soon as the issue is fixed - so far no calls.
- So few days ago I receive a letter that my old BMW account will be terminated Aug 20th. After Aug 20th I will try the app again and see what happens...

... to be continued

I told the rep if you have given me one of those BMW surveys I would have rated BMW Assist a 0. I am starting to actually laugh about the whole situation. Since this car is a lease, I am asking my self, are they going to give me access 1 day before I have to give it back?

Another thing I have an Android device, it looks like with Android 4.4 KitKat, "My BMW Remote App" doesn't even show up the in the PlayStore. So I had to manually download an older version of the app that I found on the web. The other apps don't even load, they crash.