2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealer's appraisal

09-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Dealer's appraisal

Hello,

I was thinking to turn my car in earlier before my lease ends so the dealer did an appraisal on my 535 M sport - 2012 with 15,000 miles on it and 9 months to go on lease. He appraised the car for $33,000. He also said I have the option to pull ahead so they will knock a few months of payments off so I can jump into an m4.

Is appraisal a good value for this car?

2012 535i Options:
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Technology package
Sport automatic transmission
Ceramic controls

Suggested Retail Price $65,695

$5k MSD + Rim and Tire insurance.

Last edited by BavariaExclusive; 09-17-2014 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
What's your buyout price of your current lease?

Dealer can knock out 6 months of payment if you lease/finance another BMW through BMWFS, assuming you are leasing through BMWFS.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I think you'd need to first give a full list of options you have in the car. As you know, the options can amount to $20k easily in a 5-series.

That said, NEVER expect a good appraisal / offer from a dealer. I see selling cars to dealers as a convenience only. You know you'll get less and just need to accept it in return for the convenience of not doing a private party sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Thanks, I've just edited the options in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I think you'd need to first give a full list of options you have in the car. As you know, the options can amount to $20k easily in a 5-series.

That said, NEVER expect a good appraisal / offer from a dealer. I see selling cars to dealers as a convenience only. You know you'll get less and just need to accept it in return for the convenience of not doing a private party sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
According to KBB, your car is worth $38000 at trade in. As usual, your dealer is trying to low ball you.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
According to KBB, your car is worth $38000 at trade in. As usual, your dealer is trying to low ball you.
Yep, nothing new there. Haha
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
jcal65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550ix

Quote:
Hello,

I was thinking to turn my car in earlier before my lease ends so the dealer did an appraisal on my 535 M sport - 2012 with 15,000 miles on it and 9 months to go on lease. He appraised the car for $33,000. He also said I have the option to pull ahead so they will knock a few months of payments off so I can jump into an m4.

Is appraisal a good value for this car?

2012 535i Options:
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Technology package
Sport automatic transmission
Ceramic controls

Suggested Retail Price $65,695

$5k MSD + Rim and Tire insurance.
I didn't sell my BMW to CarMax, but they appraised my 2012 535i with 21,000 miles for $36,000 with basically the same options as yours. MSRP $66,800 Residual $37,461. AutoNation quoted me $35,000 and Auto Trader $33,000.

I got a much better deal working with the Jaguar dealer on a new F-Type. They paid off my car ($40,969 payoff), which had 4 remaining lease payments, and I got the new car for $5,000 below invoice with 0% interest. They have my BMW listed for $44,991 on their used lot now.

You can sell your car to a private party at or above your payoff and pocket any difference. You would have to contact BMW for payoff, get payment from the buyer and send BMW a certified check to close the account. The negative with this method is that you do not hold title to the car, BMW does. The person buying the car would have to trust you for 5 – 7 days before you received a bill of sale and title from BMW. You would then have to take this to your DMV to transfer title to the new owner and release the car to them. This is tricky and takes the right buyer, but you should be able to get near retail if the car is in great shape. I had a cash buyer at $41,900 on my car but he could not wait the week to transact the car.
      09-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfan View Post
I didn't sell my BMW to CarMax, but they appraised my 2012 535i with 21,000 miles for $36,000 with basically the same options as yours. MSRP $66,800 Residual $37,461. AutoNation quoted me $35,000 and Auto Trader $33,000.

I got a much better deal working with the Jaguar dealer on a new F-Type. They paid off my car ($40,969 payoff), which had 4 remaining lease payments, and I got the new car for $5,000 below invoice with 0% interest. They have my BMW listed for $44,991 on their used lot now.

You can sell your car to a private party at or above your payoff and pocket any difference. You would have to contact BMW for payoff, get payment from the buyer and send BMW a certified check to close the account. The negative with this method is that you do not hold title to the car, BMW does. The person buying the car would have to trust you for 5 – 7 days before you received a bill of sale and title from BMW. You would then have to take this to your DMV to transfer title to the new owner and release the car to them. This is tricky and takes the right buyer, but you should be able to get near retail if the car is in great shape. I had a cash buyer at $41,900 on my car but he could not wait the week to transact the car.
Nice deal. How are you liking the F-Type? Quite a departure from the 5-series. They've gotten wonderful reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:42 AM   #9
jcal65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Nice deal. How are you liking the F-Type? Quite a departure from the 5-series. They've gotten wonderful reviews.
Sorry in advance to hijack this thread.

I’ll tell you that this thing is a rolling experience every time I get into it. I absolutely love this car. I never thought I would buy a Jaguar ever. I got invited to a Jaguar ride & drive event in August and knew I had to have one. Jaguar knocked it out the park with this car. The sound this thing makes is outstanding. Very reminiscent of the 60’s E-Type and everyone I have let drive it walked away with huge smiles. I find myself driving in dynamic mode all the time because it is incredible. Super quick and the howl of the supercharger, the exhaust blips, backfires and roar are totally intoxicating. I got the switchable active exhaust so you can tone down the noise to normal levels when necessary. This car feels very special and has a lot of personality. The sound it makes after you push that start button is amazing and gets everyone's attention. It has the great steering feel my 535i lacked and the handling is comparable to the 2015 M3 I got to drive recently doing hot laps. The F-Type is like driving a supercar and reminds me of the Aston Martin Vantage. You hear a lot of people say BMW had lost their soul a bit. The F-Type has soul plus. Impractical as hell but loads of fun! It is hard to find any reviews anywhere that knock this car. The only issue I have is the ride can be harsh on very rough roads, but this is a sports car so you live with it. After a long day at work, I find myself at home looking for excuses to get in the car to go for a ride.

I checked with owners on the Jaguar forum prior to purchase. They were all passionate about the F-Type and have had little to no service issues. Am I concerned about reliability? Yes! Same warranty as BMW and so far I am very pleased with this car. Just for asking on my first call to the dealer, they dropped the price $6k off MSRP. I spent a week communicating with them by phone and email, walked out of the dealership once when they wouldn't meet my final offer, and I eventually wore them down to get a really great deal. Jaguar must have some really deep dealer incentives to move 2014’s plus 0% interest.

I drove two 435i convertibles with performance exhaust prior to my purchase. Totally different, but slightly more practical than the F-Type and has back seats. I liked them a lot, but BMW disappointed me with the 4 series interior and the $1,400 exhaust option was just okay. I ruled out the M4 convertible because the wait would be too long and no dealing here in my area (MSRP + $8,500 for M4 coupes on the lot).

The overall interior quality of the F-Type is great. The extended leather option I got is very luxurious and the performance seats are awesome. The guys on the Jaguar forum say don’t drive the V8 model if you plan on getting the V6 because you will have to have it. The V8 is incredible but too much power for a daily driver and hard to keep the wheels from spinning if you are not careful. The V6 S is lighter and better balanced and not at all unpowered with 380 supercharged hp.

If anyone reading this post has any interest in the F-Type, do yourself a favor and drive one, you will not be disappointed! If you do, I would love to hear your opinion.