2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone moved to an F10 and regretted it? Particularly the lower powered diesels?

01-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Anyone moved to an F10 and regretted it? Particularly the lower powered diesels?

Hi,

I'm considering trading my e89 Z4 sDrive35i for a 520D efficient dynamics model. A huge departure in terms of the type of car, but here in the UK the roads are rough and I'm favouring some comfort and better fuel economy.

Now there's a small premium for me to do this, and I've moved cars in the past and regretted it... so I wondered if anyone here has moved to an F10, particularly coming from a sports car or something high powered, more feely, and in touch with the road... then regretted it?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
7woodman7
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Hi,

i moved from E92 335i to F10 530d.
The step to an 520d was to big for me. After a couple of test drives, i decided to take the 530d with the 8 gear automatic.
The F10 is the best car i ever had! But im looking to get something small with manual gearbox and a nice sound for fun, like a mini roadster cooper works.

greets
woody
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I moved from a E39 530I Msport Auto to a F10 530D Msport.

My reasoning is that I wanted a more economical car but with the same of better performance. I ownered my last car from new for 10 years and intended to do teh same for the F10, I feared fuel and car taxation for petrol cars potentially becoming very high over the next 10 years (we'll see if that comes true)

ALthough I never intended to buy a 520D, I did none the less have one for a day to try out. I would have been disappointed with that as I didn't like the engine sound , it didn't feel anywhere near as refined as my old 530i. Performance was how shall I say,m adequate, but never made me smile.

I did wonder if moving from petrol to diesel would be something I'd regret but having got the 530d, thats a no. I wanted a straight six and although at idle , you can tell this is a diesel, once you move off , it is very refined. In addition, it was faster than my 530i.(530i 0-60 was 7.6s, the F10 with 257BHP, is listed as 0-60 as 6.0s. very respectable)
on the motorway, you wouldn't know as it is very quiet and because of the low down torque, it only revs at 1500RPM at 70mph. Effortless!

I have actually grown to this engine, I thought it was good when I test drove it but actually now prefer the torquey feel to it, it really is so effortless and you just waft around in it.It never feels like its strained and I think real world, its very quick.

The only regret I have with the F10 is that it doesn't feel as involving as the E39 was to drive. Its bigger (it feels way bigger than the dimensions suggest) and teh steering is no where as good. Sure you get used to it but the E39 really was very good for press on driving.The F10 feels more luxurious to me than sporting, even in msport guise. I've just got teh standard passive msport suspension , I've no experience of active suspensions systems, you can find plenty of threads about that within these forums!

If economy if a priority, I would suggest not dismissing the 530d. There may be an arguement that if you drive for a set amount of performce,, you kight be pushing a 520d more than a 530d and therefore might not get as good a economy as you might think, I suspect theres not much between them real world.

Economy varies on how you drive it (and again you'll plenty of thread about that here!) but I get with gentle driving around 35UK Mpg on town, 25MPG in really heavy stop start , around 45MPG fast motorway and up to 58mpg on gentle motorway (60 mph). This equates to around 50% better than the 530i I used to drive, so I'm pleased with that. Typically get 650 miles to a tank.

I think the only advice I can give is to try the car yourself, only you can decide on wether teh car is for you or not. Try and get a car for at least a day to really get a feel for it.Half an hour with a salesman round the block won't suffice.

I would certianly recommend the 530d msport (with a load of options!) but I would certianly not give it 10/10, it's very good, but not perfect. I'd have given my old E39 near as dammit 100% score, it was and I think still is, a very good car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
7woodman7
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

The only regret I have with the F10 is that it doesn't feel as involving as the E39 was to drive. Its bigger (it feels way bigger than the dimensions suggest) and teh steering is no where as good. Sure you get used to it but the E39 really was very good for press on driving.The F10 feels more luxurious to me than sporting, even in msport guise. I've just got teh standard passive msport suspension , I've no experience of active suspensions systems, you can find plenty of threads about that within these forums!
Do you have active steering? With it, the F10 fells much smaller and is way more agile to handle.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Hi,

I'm considering trading my e89 Z4 sDrive35i for a 520D efficient dynamics model. A huge departure in terms of the type of car, but here in the UK the roads are rough and I'm favouring some comfort and better fuel economy.

Now there's a small premium for me to do this, and I've moved cars in the past and regretted it... so I wondered if anyone here has moved to an F10, particularly coming from a sports car or something high powered, more feely, and in touch with the road... then regretted it?
I guess that depends on what your expectations are. If you expect the 520D to drive remotely like the Z4, you will be very disappointed. If you expect the 520D to be a slow highway cruiser that handles like a luxury car, then you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

That's part of the thing really. I do love the 35i power, but I rarely get to use it as the car is mostly a commuter to work and back. That's 70% urban roads and the rest motorway. For this use the 520d seems enough, and for the odd longer journey should prove fine for a motorway cruiser, I'm not planning any races, and even if I was with the 35i I daren't as I'm scared my wheels might crack at any moment.

What I'm wondering is, if I get the 520d ED, am I going to look back at the purchase, and miss my rather more special feeling Z4/e89...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Maybe the answer is to go for a 325d or 330d, it should be closer and zippier due to the weight (as would the 320d).

I've gone from zippy Audi's and VW's to the 520d and have zero regret.. it really is as fast as I need with all the acceleration I need... anything more would be dangerous and I would get speeding tickets regularly!

3.0 and 3.5's would be great of course, but I would never need that power... but of course this is all down to personal taste. I am 100% happy with my shift. Safety and comfort all the way, with the enough power when I need
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7woodman7 View Post
Do you have active steering? With it, the F10 fells much smaller and is way more agile to handle.
no active steering in mine. specced up enough options so had to draw a line somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I still have my E39 530i, but I (and my wive) prefer the F10 520d any day! To me the 530i seems underpowered, also in normal daily driving conditions. This because of the 5-step AT in combo with an engine merely producing 300Nm to motivate a pile of steel that weights a lot. On top, mine is no Msport, so the lack of a sport suspension is not adding to the total either. Things only start moving above 4000rpm. The sound it produces is omnipresent and never fades to the back ground.

The 520s is such a better car for pretty all aspects! I would consider a sport suspension though (I guess ED has it standard) since handling is also compromised by comfy setup. The strong point of the small diesel is that in daily driving, it still has torque. This torque avoids that it feels underpowered. You'll have the 380Nm at 1500rpm when the 530i is only producing about 200Nm. Of course, when you rev it out, no great things happen either.

Is it such a special feeling car like the Z4? not by a long shot. It's just a very, very, very omnipotent good car with exceptional value. To that respect it outclasses the Z4.

But when you compare the 530d with the 520d, of course the latter is no close match at all, but the running costs either...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I went from a 2011 320+BHP WRX STi to the 520d M Sport (with a load of options) so I know what you are talking about.

Two totally different cars of course. The STi could have lost me my licence in 3rd, and didn't break sweat at anytime, and I chickened out way before the car.
The F10 is much more refined, and 99% of the time the 520d is more than powerful enough.

Can I go from 15mph to 115mph in 4th gear alone? No.
Can I travel the length of the country at motorway speeds on a tank and still get over 50mpg?, yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Hi,

Whatever car you choose, remember you have to enjoy it, there is no point in getting a small engine with great economy, if it is boring to drive. If you can afford it, test drive the 530D or the 535D with 8 speed auto, you will not regret it....even if you go for a car with a higer mileage.

Good luck in your choice....

Last edited by Ellmat; 01-07-2013 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmat View Post
Whatever car you choose, remember you have to enjoy it, there is no point in getting a small engine with great economy, if it is boring to drive. If you can afford it, test drive the 530D or the 535D with 8 speed auto, you will not regret it....even if you go for a car with a higer mileage.

Good luck in your choice....
I kinda agree, but when you turn it around and start from cash constraints, I would state that for the TCO, the best option is a 520d.

Then you drive a real 5-series with all its' build qualities at the lowest possible cost. When you have some cash extra to spare, yes, the 530/5d are certainly adding spices to the daily dish.

Again, a 520d ED is still a decent all day performer. My 520d can still make me smile every day when I drive it on normal roads with a lot of traffic lights and the usual congestions, more than my old 530i can.

On the other hand, I didn't step out of a Z4 with 340hp/450Nm either. But frankly, I would feel kinda silly these days in such a potent but small and irrational car during daily driving. It is special, but rather irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

I have a 520d M Sport and love it. I find the power to be perfectly acceptable.

Have done many highway and what you guys would call B roads with the paddle shift and using sport + mode have managed to have loads of fun.

I will be chipping it however when I move to bigger wheels and tyres. Hartge seem to be able to boost the power quite easily
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm still really stuck decision wise. I don't want the extra expense of the 530D albeit I'm sure I'd enjoy the drive. This is a 'sensible' option. The e89 35i was my mad option. I still love this car, but keep looking forward and thinking (as I'm 42 now) as I approach my mid 40's do I still want to be thrown around in a roadster, or have a bit of comfort... I feel proper grandad/pipe and slippers when I read that back!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Lazarini
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F07, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7woodman7 View Post
Hi,

i moved from E92 335i to F10 530d.
The step to an 520d was to big for me. After a couple of test drives, i decided to take the 530d with the 8 gear automatic.
The F10 is the best car i ever had! But im looking to get something small with manual gearbox and a nice sound for fun, like a mini roadster cooper works.

greets
woody
I feel U!

I am on the same engine but went from E90 330d M Sport Manual to 530d 8 Speed auto.

The confort of the drive the seats etc is a whole another level and i like it... still i miss the personal involvement of te manual the lower weight and dynamics of the 3...

I 2 am lurking out for an Cooper S or JCW with manual as a 2nd car

S
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
viffer
Save the Manuals!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

I have a 535i (Touring). UK based.
I also have a Porsche 911 (an old one, 993 model) and until very recently an M3 CSL. Before that some Audis (RS4 and RS6). Etc.

To my mind you are comparing apples with oranges. I like my 535i, and it does the job it was designed to do (comfortable, quiet, sophisticated) really well. But that success also means it's really boring to drive. The same was somewhat true of the RS6 - quite fast but not involving. The Porsche is probably no quicker than the 535i, but it's massively more fun.

So I think if you don't have other cars and you enjoy driving, there is a strong possibility that you will regret moving to a 520d. But only you can decide!
If I were you I'd get a 520d for at least a whole day, and drive it a lot. My local dealer was completely fine with whole-day / whole-weekend test drives.

Cheers, Richard.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm still really stuck decision wise. I don't want the extra expense of the 530D albeit I'm sure I'd enjoy the drive. This is a 'sensible' option. The e89 35i was my mad option. I still love this car, but keep looking forward and thinking (as I'm 42 now) as I approach my mid 40's do I still want to be thrown around in a roadster, or have a bit of comfort... I feel proper grandad/pipe and slippers when I read that back!
Two years younger than you, and agree about getting thrashed by the car, so I only drive my Z3 every so often. I also agree that you'll want comfort, but think you may miss the power. Over the last decade, progressively, every car I've purchased had more horsepower -- Z3 225, V70R 300, 550i 400. Losing leg muscle to push the pedal seems to require more HP.

Bottom line: recommend you consider the power you currently available and how much you'll miss it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I think you just answer your own queation, you do not want the extra expense of the 530D. You sound like a guy who is more practical than impulsive, stay with the 520D.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Maniac, I can understand. My lease budget didn't stretch further than the 520d and I ordered it without testdriving it although I was very sceptical.

But I was pleasently surprised and after one year of driving, I can only state that positive emotions prevail. This is a damned good and refined car! I'am convinced also that this car has a world class leading value/price ratio which is way better than any other car to my opinion (also your Z4).

My 520d also had his moments of tire screaming fun in the German black woods and the French alps last year. On long straigths on the NordSchlieffe, it gets out of steam rather fast, but on serpentines in 2nd to 3rd gear on open roads, it wil also make you smile very often. The moments I feel the poke is falling short are surpsingly limited.

Remember the package is a sublime cruiser and it is very frugal (on your wallet) to. The 520 ED is most probably the most intelligent car choice in the world today! Really... what an impressive car the 520d is!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #20
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Compromise on a 525D then!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer View Post
I have a 535i (Touring). UK based.

To my mind you are comparing apples with oranges. I like my 535i, and it does the job it was designed to do (comfortable, quiet, sophisticated) really well.

If I were you I'd get a 520d for at least a whole day, and drive it a lot. My local dealer was completely fine with whole-day / whole-weekend test drives.
Same here.... love the 535i for what it is. The test drive is the only way, as only the OP knows what he wants from a car. The right specification 3-series may be more appropriate, if a more sporty drive is wanted.

I test drove a 520d and it just didn't do anything for me, would have got me looking at other marques, if I hadn't known a decent spec'd 530d/535i offered so much more.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same here.... love the 535i for what it is. The test drive is the only way, as only the OP knows what he wants from a car. The right specification 3-series may be more appropriate, if a more sporty drive is wanted.

I test drove a 520d and it just didn't do anything for me, would have got me looking at other marques, if I hadn't known a decent spec'd 530d/535i offered so much more.

HighlandPete
Yes a 535i offers much more, but the cost per mile is almost twice what the 520d will set you back. When you search within the same cost category, the 520d is king.

On top, in most driving conditions the difference is small, I do 70% highway driving at rediculous low speeds on cruise control and here the 520d reigns seen its' incredible frugality, 25% in the traffic jam where the engine is stopped-started, and 5% more motivational stuff. Only in the latter context, the 535i is releasing its' extra stuff probably with some authority then. I also agree the engine sound is much sweeter, but for twice the cost?

I agree also that it is a mental comfort state you're in when you know you're driving a 530d or so, but in real life with real money, I also feel mental comfort knowing that driving my 5-series is not a hold-up on my bank account...
Appreciate 0