2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Question for you diesel owners

10-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #23
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting findings from the garage.

What sort of use does the car typically get, many decent (hot engine) cruises?

Just a thought, what diesel do you use? I'd be using a premium diesel with a decent additive package, do you have something like BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power which we get in the UK?

HighlandPete
I'm back and I have collected the car, but first.
I live in Norway, we do not have anything but premium fuel. There are some crazy standards here so, bottom line we don't get sub standard cheap fuel and I guess that is why we pay $2.44us/£1.51/€1.9 for one liter of Petrol/Gasoline, Diesel is slightly cheaper, about 5%.
We have 95 and 98 RON (98 is slowly disappearing), which is equivalent 91 and 93 US. We do have V-power but that is just some additives that Shell claim make your car better,Esso (Exxon Mobil) has something similar that claims too keep your engine cleaner, but at the end of the day there in very little difference in price and quality.
As for Diesel, there are two types, Taxed and un-taxed. Un-taxed is for boats, tractors and basically diesel powered utilities, this is colored red, so if you get caught with that in your car, shame on you, now pay a ridiculous fine for cheating the government from its taxes.
The taxed auto diesel is just one grade, and in the winter they add something due to the cold weather conditions.

So fuel quality is not an issue.

Back to my car.

I have collected it, and was given the whole story.
Now, since this was a warranty issue, the shop was under BMW's guidance on this, so the troubleshooting and parts changed was dictated by BMW not the local Tech.
But this is the list.
-Regular troubleshooting, sending data to BMW.
-Replaced X-drive transfer box, slight improvement.
-Updated to latest software - no change
-Tested car with wheels from a different F11 too rule out any wheel issues my wheels are OEM 19" with OEM tires - no change.
-Replaced diesel injectors - issue solved.

Upon replacing the injectors it was found that two of them had some sot buildup on them. Also the intakes had higher sot buildup than normal.
I was told not to use eco-pro, and use sport more often to get the engine hot and drive it aggressively from time to time to clean out out. Guess the 2-2500rpm's in sport mode is there for a reason.

My impressions:
Issue is solved, the car appears to be more responsive, especially in comfort. The lag between applying throttle from standstill and the car moving is a lot better, and it felt more powerful at lower rpm's.
I would contribute this to the two bad injectors, I have obviously had two cylinders not performing its best.
Why these injectors failed I do not know, could have been a malfunction, bad batch of injectors, or the driving style of the previous owner.

Now lets just hope it will stay this way.

The car is my daily driver, I do very little inner city driving, mostly country roads and motorways.
As I said, I got this car back in May, has done about 2000km so I have filled it up 3 times
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Congratulations, and I wish you will enjoy the car even more

On my previous petrol BMW I had to replace all the 6 ignition coils because they were permanently dying. Dealer said, this is because of fuel quality, change them to Bosch and forget the shudder, so I did.

As for quality and specifics we have summer and winter diesel too, and petrol is 92, 95 and 98. Some branded guys like BP or Shell are selling their own ultra-super-something in top of the traditional, but no difference detected except price. However in large cities fuel is considered to be of better quality than on the countryside from an uncle sitting in a tin booth in a middle of nowhere)

But OK, great you have it fixed. Maybe you post some pics, please.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
-Replaced X-drive transfer box, slight improvement.
[...]
-Replaced diesel injectors - issue solved.
This is what still worries me. I have exactly the same shuddering as if the engine was laboring (too low rpms for a given gear), but hate to even think of giving my car to my local BMW service. They know nothing, and as long as their silly computer doesn't show a fault code dismiss "perfectionists" like myself with the "this is normal/up to specs" phrase
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
Congratulations, and I wish you will enjoy the car even more

On my previous petrol BMW I had to replace all the 6 ignition coils because they were permanently dying. Dealer said, this is because of fuel quality, change them to Bosch and forget the shudder, so I did.

As for quality and specifics we have summer and winter diesel too, and petrol is 92, 95 and 98. Some branded guys like BP or Shell are selling their own ultra-super-something in top of the traditional, but no difference detected except price. However in large cities fuel is considered to be of better quality than on the countryside from an uncle sitting in a tin booth in a middle of nowhere)

But OK, great you have it fixed. Maybe you post some pics, please.
Good luck
I have vistied your country a few years ago, was i Moscow, and in a place in Siberia called Surgut. So I have seen The guy in the tin booth.
I have a detaining thread but without any interior shots, I will try and get some pictures to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
This is what still worries me. I have exactly the same shuddering as if the engine was laboring (too low rpms for a given gear), but hate to even think of giving my car to my local BMW service. They know nothing, and as long as their silly computer doesn't show a fault code dismiss "perfectionists" like myself with the "this is normal/up to specs" phrase
I know what you mean, I just checked the price list for the parts, and that was like 9000 euros, plus labour and troubleshooting.
I guess the cheap initial fix would be some injector cleaner additive in your fuel, or have them pull the injectors and have a look.
Sadly 6 new injectors are close to 4000 euros, so the additive might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #27
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Good to hear the car seems okay, and thank God for warranty because that's expensive.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Its pretty weird how BMW doesn't check for that issue or any issue before selling the car or Making it a Certified Pre-Owned Car...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #29
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Do any of you have vibration on idle please...

I have done a survey I would love you to share and maybe click yes or no on..

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...6#post16855836

Its been a year trying to get this sorted.

Having read this I wonder if this is my injectors?

Dealer is claiming the vibration is the EGR valve constantly working and this caused vibrations on idle, when in drive.

So far
Gearbox changed.
Engine Mounts Changed.
Revs changed increased ( improved it )

My survey is here.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...6#post16855836
Appreciate 0