2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Switching front and rear wheels

06-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Horlicks
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Switching front and rear wheels

Hi

Some quick advice folks

As usual I have plenty of tread left on my front tyres and only about 4 mm on the rears. Is it possible to simply swap them over to save me replacing the 2 rears in the next few months?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Depends if you run a staggered set up or not. If not, then yes, but keep the left ones on the left and the right ones on the right to ensure you do not change the direction of rotation of the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
jakartakid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport AW/Cinnamon

That's one option, however you may end up requiring to replace all four tyres at the same time....ouch!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horlicks View Post
Hi

Some quick advice folks

As usual I have plenty of tread left on my front tyres and only about 4 mm on the rears. Is it possible to simply swap them over to save me replacing the 2 rears in the next few months?
Just remember that when you swap tyres, the new tyres (with more tread) should always go on the REAR.

There is a common myth that one should put 'tyres with more tread' on the 'driven wheels' - so a lot of people put new tyres on the front on front wheel drive cars.

Your rears should always have equal or more tread than your fronts. This makes the car a more safer setup during harsh braking.

.... Thank you morellomax

Last edited by gspannu; 06-09-2015 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Correction pointed out by forum member.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Just remember that when you swap tyres, the new tyres (with more tread) should always go on the fronts.

There is a common myth that one should put 'tyres with more tread' on the 'driven wheels' - so a lot of people put new tyres on the front on front wheel drive cars; and lots of BMW/Merc/Jag owners put new tyres on the rear.

Your fronts should always have equal or more tread than your rears. This makes the car a more safer setup during harsh braking.
Surely the safest thing is for the fronts to let go before the rears under braking ? And lower tread depth will only reduce braking performance in standing water, but the braking effect itself will push more of the weight onto the front of the car, meaning that for a given speed and tyre size, the fronts can channel the same amount of water with less tread depth before aquaplaning ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:49 AM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Surely the safest thing is for the fronts to let go before the rears under braking ? And lower tread depth will only reduce braking performance in standing water, but the braking effect itself will push more of the weight onto the front of the car, meaning that for a given speed and tyre size, the fronts can channel the same amount of water with less tread depth before aquaplaning ?
Apologies... I meant to write have new tyres always on the rear.
Don't know what I was thinking

In any given situation, you always want the rear of the car to be stable and straight.

Amending the original post. Thank you for the correction.
      06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

No worries !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I was considering doing this on an E46 that had a straight tyre set up once and BMW told me not switch them as it would unbalance the cars handling. The service tech was saying that the fronts wear more on the shoulders and end up slightly rounded whereas the rears wear flat because the car squats as you apply power.

Not sure how true this is as I didn't bother switching them and have since always had staggered M Sport wheels...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:24 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Is this worth doing considering the difference in width between the front and rear tyres?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Horlicks
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Thanks all.

Tyre sizes are the same as it's a f10 rather than the f10.

I will probably change the car in 6 months time so it will save me having to replace the 2 rears now and I should be able to part ex the car with the current set of tyres.
Appreciate 0