2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Baby Seat - Best location?

06-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

F10 Baby Seat - Best location?

Hi guys,

F10 coming in about a month or so and so is our first baby girl

I am curious to know where other members are mounting their baby seat if its in the rear passenger seat, middle or behind the driver seat and the reason behind it.

I've seen most people put it behind the passenger seat while i've also seen it put in the middle because technically its the safest part of the car. I'm also curious with a baby seat in the middle can you still sit two passengers on each side comfortably in the F10.

Also what are you guys using to protect the leather seats from getting messed up?

Any info is appreciated!

Alan
      06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I haven't put one in in a while cause kids are older now, but the middle is the safest as you mentioned but most put it on the side for convenience and to free up the other side. Being in the middle means the 2 passengers on the sides will have to sit with shoulders "up" because the car seats are wide, but with the F10, I am sure they will be fine.

If you do a search online, you will see many seat protectors such as this one
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-27301.../dp/B0001EM8I2

We never used this in our e46 with black leather and the seats held up great, but if your girl is going to be eating and drinking back there, this might help to catch the spills and keep them away from the leather.

Good news on the new baby. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
BigP535I
Second Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: F10 AW Mtech

I would suggest putting a support underneath it, I had one for my son and the base of the baby seat left an imprint on the leather (stretched it out). I would suggest a thin type pillow you might not be using anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
micosilver
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

With one baby seat - I put it on the passenger side. As far as I know - it is better if you used the LATCH system, because it is designed with a side (not middle location) in mind.
Passenger side - so I would not have to deal with passing traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
harrisfb
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i MSport 6MT

I put mine in the center between the two back seats for two reasons.

1. Both the driver and passenger front seats can be adjusted and moved back for tall people without obstruction..

2. I still have the use of both of my back seats.

The only down side is as the kid gets heavier it is a bit of a back strain to lift them in and out of the center...but it is not too bad.

Also this is a MUST HAVE if you want to keep your seats dent free!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00368CLXW

2012 550i MSport 6MT - Dinan S3 - Imperial Blue Metalic/Everest Gray - 20" 373M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Radamez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 XDrive / Imperial Blu

CONGRATS Alan!!! I have 7 week old twin boys. I have the seats behind the passenger and in the middle of the back seat.
      06-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP535I View Post
I would suggest putting a support underneath it, I had one for my son and the base of the baby seat left an imprint on the leather (stretched it out). I would suggest a thin type pillow you might not be using anymore.
No, do not do anything like this. It could seriously compromise the installation of the seat!

I use this, for both kids, under 4 seats. Works like a champ. Leather uncrimps in under 15 minutes once the seat comes up. It is tough vinyl, not fabric / nylon like many seat protectors. Many of those protectors really only protect from spills and dirt. They are not stiff enough to resist the seat making marks.

The prince lion heart does. I have had baby seats in three cars, two with very soft leather (Volvo R and Nappa in the 535). The marks ALWAYS come out.

http://www.princelionheart.com/site/t_cs_0560.html
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisfb View Post
I put mine in the center between the two back seats for two reasons.

1. Both the driver and passenger front seats can be adjusted and moved back for tall people without obstruction..

2. I still have the use of both of my back seats.

The only down side is as the kid gets heavier it is a bit of a back strain to lift them in and out of the center...but it is not too bad.
This is 100% correct, although I have not tested it on the BMW's multi contour seats. And once the kid is about 20 lbs, there's no way your wife will want to swing the kid and the detachable seat into the middle of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Well I would say that the middle seat can't be the safest seat because during a front shock accident, the person in the middle will be thrown away out of the front window ... (if he/she is not wearing a seat belt !)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

1 kid; put behind the passenger seat. The prince lionheart thingy is a MUST.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Congrats!

My current setup is a Recaro Prosport behind the passenger seat for my 4yr old and the carseat carrier in the middle seat for my 4 month old.

They do say the middle position is the safest, but when it was just my daughter we always had her on the passengers side of my wife's RX330 and on my E46 M3 for the following reasons:

-Latch system hooks
-Easier loading into the car
-Ability to see the child from the drivers seat, either from the rear view mirror or a head turn. If you have the rear facing seat in the middle there is no viewing angle for a headrest mounted mirror to see your child.

Now with two kids, one of them has to be in the center and it make most sense for the carseat carrier to be in the middle, especially so an adult can address the newborn from the driver side rear seat.

As previously mentioned, the prince lionhearts are the best liners and I used them in all 3 cars. It covers the seat bottom and seat back and since it's two pieces that separate, you can just use the bottom section when only using a seat base for the carrier.

Hope that helps
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniemcm View Post
Well I would say that the middle seat can't be the safest seat because during a front shock accident, the person in the middle will be thrown away out of the front window ... (if he/she is not wearing a seat belt !)
I agree, the research I did before buying a child seat seemed to suggest in almost all instances that the middle is not the safest place for a child seat primarily because of the absence of an obstacle between the child and the windshield in case of a head-on impact. The sides should be safer because of the added reinforcement in the doors and the relatively secure position between the back and front seats for extra cushioning. If I am not mistaken most car manuals also warn you against installing a child seat in the middle, you will notice that the LATCH or ISOFIX systems only have provisions for installation on either side of the back seat, never the center.

I would also highly recommend the use of an under-layer to protect the car seat. You would be surprised by the amount of crumbs/toys/random stuff that will manage to find its way underneath the child seat during the course of time it is installed in the car. The seat-saver protects the car seat from wear and permanent imprints.

Congrats on both arrivals, you are going to have a great year ahead!
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Thank you all of this valuable information

I am going to stick with putting her behind the passenger seat. Hopefully there is still enough room in the back to sit two people afterwards. The wife was pushing for me to get the X5 instead of the F10 because of having more space so i had to do quite a bit of convincing on my end

Alan
      06-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Hi guys,

I am curious to know where other members are mounting their baby seat if its in the rear passenger seat, middle or behind the driver seat and the reason behind it.

I've seen most people put it behind the passenger seat while i've also seen it put in the middle because technically its the safest part of the car. I'm also curious with a baby seat in the middle can you still sit two passengers on each side comfortably in the F10.

Also what are you guys using to protect the leather seats from getting messed up?

Any info is appreciated!

Alan
I am not sure the middle is the safest on the basis that Isofix system is the best option to fix the seats, hence only possible on either side, and you have more vision of your little one when on the passenger side, should you need to stop and check on them without having to step out of the car.
if the baby seat you going for is not an isofix system the middle may be an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
ENZO-
HUSTLE.... HARD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Hi guys,

Any info is appreciated!

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamez View Post
CONGRATS Alan!!! I have 7 week old twin boys. I have the seats behind the passenger and in the middle of the back seat.
Congrats to both of you.

I have a one year old Valentina, and everything changes in your life. For the good!

Car seat is behind the passenger seat. Nothing protecting the seat its a lease. I do clean it with Sonax leather cleaner conditioner it makes the dried up milk easy to clean right off. Leaves the leather supple.
RIP : 2003 M3
Appreciate 0