2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 530D M-Sport: Some Questions

04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D M-Sport

F10 530D M-Sport: Some Questions

I recently bought an F10 530D M-Sport and have a few questions, which I would really appreciate some help with please for those that have been down the same road.
  1. Can someone who has changed from run flat tyres to normal tyres on the 19" sport wheel provide some views on ride improvement?
  2. Has anyone installed the iPhone cradle that allows access to the roof ariel and does this improve the signal?
  3. Has anyone remapped the car successfully to increase BHP and if so, what sort of results are you seeing?
  4. Has anyone any pointers are reputable and quality tow bar installs that can be removed when not in use?
  5. Could someone tell me what the latest software updates are and what they change/improve?

Car is running standard Sport suspension and doesnt have active cleverness and the ride is fine but when pushing on it does wobble is bum a bit too much and is to easily unsettled on bumpy roads, which I suspect is in the main down to the tyres.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, new to this forum but been on PH, PureGT, OCUK Motors, BMW3W/MTorque (when it was there!) and many more for years.

Last edited by Housey; 04-27-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh yea, some pictures for those who are interested!

Curborough

Home
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housey View Post
I recently bought an F10 530D M-Sport and have a few questions, which I would really appreciate some help with please for those that have been down the same road.
  1. Can someone who has changed from run flat tyres to normal tyres on the 19" sport wheel provide some views on ride improvement?
  2. Has anyone installed the iPhone cradle that allows access to the roof ariel and does this improve the signal?
  3. Has anyone remapped the car successfully to increase BHP and if so, what sort of results are you seeing?
  4. Has anyone any pointers are reputable and quality tow bar installs that can be removed when not in use?
  5. Could someone tell me what the latest software updates are and what they change/improve?

Car is running standard Sport suspension and doesnt have active cleverness and the ride is fine but when pushing on it does wobble is bum a bit too much and is to easily unsettled on bumpy roads, which I suspect is in the main down to the tyres.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, new to this forum but been on PH, PureGT, OCUK Motors, BMW3W/MTorque (when it was there!) and many more for years.
Housey..

Sorry but can only help with question 4. I went for the factory fit electric towbar but retrofitting this will be expensive however, I did fit a Witter detachable swan neck on my A6 and it was excellent. Totally invisible including electrics and local dealer fitted it for £475.
Hope this helps.

Gordon.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:

Regarding question 2, i have the media cradle for IPhone 4 and i can confirm that call quality is much improved
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon4499 View Post
Housey..

Sorry but can only help with question 4. I went for the factory fit electric towbar but retrofitting this will be expensive however, I did fit a Witter detachable swan neck on my A6 and it was excellent. Totally invisible including electrics and local dealer fitted it for £475.
Hope this helps.

Gordon.
Thanks Gordon, I will take a look at the Witter option, I need it for towing my race car trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmat View Post
Regarding question 2, i have the media cradle for IPhone 4 and i can confirm that call quality is much improved
Excellent, does this also work with iTunes and the Album art as well as there seems to be 3 different docking cradles, seemingly 1 that does iTunes, 1 that does iPhone and one that does both, is this your understanding?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:

I too went for the Factory Electric Towbar options so can't help you on that. but as for 2.
The iphone does not have an external antenna connection so with the iPhone it's not possible to have a direct connection to the roof antenna but the cradle does have some capacitive coupling from the phone to the antenna and while this is not ideal it is better than nothing. I see a marginal improvement compared to just putting the phone in the armrest. However putting the phone on top of the dash with a non slip grip works just as well. However the cradle does have some other advantages.
There are 3 models of the Cradles
  1. Basic
  2. Music
  3. Media
Basic just gives you a holder, charging, and capacitive antenna connection.
Music adds the ability to play Music via usb together with album art, and support for BMW Apps
Media adds the ability to play videos and use the Plugin feature to control the iPhone.

Note some of the features above require options to be installed.

Hope this helps

Jon
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Jon. What is needed to play videos, I assume an application on the iPhone of some form?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Thanks Jon. What is needed to play videos, I assume an application on the iPhone of some form?
As long as you have the correct options fitted and you have the Media cradle
Then there is a Video option on the iDrive when you select the iPhone.
Once you select the video (Film strip icon) you then have to choose from the sub classes of the video such as Music Video, Rent films, etc and then you can choose one to play. These only play when the Vehicle is stationary unless you have the car coded to enable video in motion or purchase the DVDinMotion which enables it.

Once you have a video playing you can run any other app on the iphone that does video out and this plays on the idrive. For example if you have PCTV box or Sling box at home you can display live TV on the iDrive steamed from the iPhone.
If you have an iphone 4 or 4S and you could use the oplayer App to play any video including divx videos.

There is a Mod available from BimmerTech if you search the main forum that does away with the need for a cradle and you can use just the USB and Aux socket. This means that you can use different model iPhones or even the iPod Touch

Hope this helps

Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Do u track ur car? Have u driven a similar car with DDC? How does it compare to the passive M-sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
BMWales
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 525D sport, silver, vdc...

#4 I have just bought a 12 month old F11 (525D sport) and have booked a towbar fitment on 1st June. Its a Westfalia (OEM bracket) detachable type with single electrics. Cost is £450 fitted at my home thru PF Jones. Let you know how i get on.
PS i've got VDC and am amazed at the difference. Only had it 24hrs so not pushed it yet to see how it is on the limit but you can tell a big difference between settings. Couldn't tell you the differenve between std sport suspension as only been for a shortish test with nanny (bm rep)!

Last edited by BMWales; 05-20-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Do u track ur car? Have u driven a similar car with DDC? How does it compare to the passive M-sport suspension?
I have taken it around my local sprint track but it's not going to be tracked no as I have a race car for my track fixes and my wife's MX-5. On track the car is heavy and tends to take it out on its brakes and it also understeers a little too, mainly due to the lug of iron up front I suspect
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Housey
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWales View Post
#4 I have just bought a 12 month old F11 (525D sport) and have booked a towbar fitment on 1st June. Its a Westfalia (OEM bracket) detachable type with single electrics. Cost is £450 fitted at my home thru PF Jones. Let you know how i get on.
PS i've got VDC and am amazed at the difference. Only had it 24hrs so not pushed it yet to see how it is on the limit but you can tell a big difference between settings. Couldn't tell you the differenve between std sport suspension as only been for a shortish test with nanny (bm rep)!
I'll be interested to see how this goes, welcome your updates!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Excellent, does this also work with iTunes and the Album art as well as there seems to be 3 different docking cradles, seemingly 1 that does iTunes, 1 that does iPhone and one that does both, is this your understanding?[/QUOTE]

I purchased the media cradle, it palys itunes, Video, artwork etc etc. My understanding is that cradles made in 2011 have some sort of software problem, so i suggest you speak to your dealer and go for the 2012 version.

The cradle costs around £165, so you need to make sure it works 100% before you part with your cash...!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Hi Housey,
Regarding no. 3.
I tried a box by ChipExpress and it makes a great difference to the car.
Quoted figures are 369bhp/748Nm for my car.
I found the standard car just too smooth on the uptake for overtaking - wheras now it nearly feels as fast as my old remapped 335d.

Also tried boxes by some others but they kept putting the car into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
premiertuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Regarding point number 1, I changed to Potenza non runflats and the ride feels more composed and less audible 'thuds' on hard potholes. I have stock suspension.

Regarding Point number 3, we have a few F10 solutions in the pipeline however the issue is not the tuning, it's the approach BMW are taking when the car goes into service. They are actively checking ECU logging information to see if any parameters have or even had been messed with.

A tuning box will not be invisible in this instance as it manipulates the fuelling signals and that information is now retained in the ECU for later retrieval if the dealer wishes to do it. We've tuned a few F10's now for our agents in Europe, but none in the UK due to warranty concerns. My own F10 is not tuned for this very reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

try these for remap... http://www.ecopowertuning.co.uk/

These are one of only a few to actually remap an f10. Used them for my e350 and impressed with the results. Planning a visit soon for my own car! quotes from 40 to 60hp gain depending on eco or power options.

Martyn (yorkshire!)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

update, just had email from ecopower tuning and after more research they now say they can`t do f10s? wtf.. I know....
Appreciate 0