2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LCI 5-Series M-Sport to have ///M badge on front fenders. UPDATE App + Brochure

06-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

LCI 5-Series M-Sport to have ///M badge on front fenders. UPDATE App + Brochure

Check out the picture on page 17 on the pricelist (preisliste) that you can download here:

http://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/5e...limousine.html

You can just see the ///M badge on the front fender. And in fact on the following page it's listed as a standard feature on all M-Sport models:

Quote:
Schriftzug „M“ Chrom, Seitenwand vorn
UPDATE:

Updated with Facebook app to configure the LCI. Also shows the ///M badge on M-sport models.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW/app_135659626612512

UPDATE 2:

Official LCI Brochure in German

http://www.bmw.de/dam/bmw/marketDE/b...1047776219.pdf

///M badge on front fenders listed as standard equipment on the M-Sport models
Attached Images

Last edited by Boss330; 06-13-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

It was said here that this likely won't make it to U.S models.

If it does, then BMW is officially badging the body of M Sport cars as "M" cars, therefore consumers have every reason to consider them true "M" cars as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm complaining considering I have an M Sport car and like the M stripes enough to have the logo on my license plate frame, but damn, BMW, going too far with the ///Marketing thing. I'll reap the benefits, but I still acknowledge how far it's gotten.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
It was said here that this likely won't make it to U.S models.

If it does, then BMW is officially badging the body of M Sport cars as "M" cars, therefore consumers have every reason to consider them true "M" cars as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm complaining considering I have an M Sport car and like the M stripes enough to have the logo on my license plate frame, but damn, BMW, going too far with the ///Marketing thing. I'll reap the benefits, but I still acknowledge how far it's gotten.
BMW is officially badging the M-Sport cars as "M" cars in Europe, even if it doesn't do that in the US, doesn't that count?

The only difference would be that in the US market you couldn't consider the M-sport a "M" car, whereas you can in Europe. (guess that was your point as well).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
BMW is officially badging the M-Sport cars as "M" cars in Europe, even if it doesn't do that in the US, doesn't that count?

The only difference would be that in the US market you couldn't consider the M-sport a "M" car, whereas you can in Europe. (guess that was your point as well).
I guess that's what I mean. So if they do already badge the body with an "M" in the Europe then I guess this facelift will be no different and U.S cars will be sans it again.

Basically, BMW themselves are doing all that they can to tell you "Yes, the M Sport cars are really M cars, so buy them". Even without the M fender badge, we have about 12 ///M badges on our cars and an official modification segment called "M Performance" where we can buy all the M decals and stickers we want, such as the rocker panels, etc.

Again, I love it, good for me who happily pays a $3K premium for "M Sport" and likes the aesthetic and heritage behind the ///M badge therefore is happy to apply it on my car, with BMW's own graces, but damn, a 528i with "M" badges all over it just seems odd, for example. I saw pics of the new X5 interior with M Sport and that now has an "M" logo on the top of the iDrive stick. Maybe a Euro-only thing again, but it now adds yet another "M" logo on the car.

More for us, I guess, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Now the guys with M3's, M5, M6's are really going to be pissed off....
      06-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I guess that's what I mean. So if they do already badge the body with an "M" in the Europe then I guess this facelift will be no different and U.S cars will be sans it again.

Basically, BMW themselves are doing all that they can to tell you "Yes, the M Sport cars are really M cars, so buy them". Even without the M fender badge, we have about 12 ///M badges on our cars and an official modification segment called "M Performance" where we can buy all the M decals and stickers we want, such as the rocker panels, etc.

Again, I love it, good for me who happily pays a $3K premium for "M Sport" and likes the aesthetic and heritage behind the ///M badge therefore is happy to apply it on my car, with BMW's own graces, but damn, a 528i with "M" badges all over it just seems odd, for example. I saw pics of the new X5 interior with M Sport and that now has an "M" logo on the top of the iDrive stick. Maybe a Euro-only thing again, but it now adds yet another "M" logo on the car.

More for us, I guess, lol.
Soory for my bad English What I meant was that it is confirmed that the LCI will get the fender badges in Europe. The current cars don't have it though. Sorry for the confusion I might have caused.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
K-A
Nice
Rep

Ah, no worries. Then there I guess is potential the U.S cars will get it as well. I guess we'll see. Seems like one of those "EU only" things, but maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

The posers will love this...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Now the guys with M3's, M5, M6's are really going to be pissed off....
They'll just have to Deal With It
      06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
F10N47
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D M Sport

Quote:
Again, I love it, good for me who happily pays a $3K premium for "M Sport" and likes the aesthetic and heritage behind the ///M badge therefore is happy to apply it on my car
I agree. I can't afford £60k+ for an M5 but I want to buy into the heritage which is M sport. I realise BMW are just exploiting the 'M' badge but I'm happy to accept the aesthetics and the driving dynamics which accompany the M Sport option, even though my base car is just a 520d. In my opinion it makes my car just a little more special (to me). In Europe, at least, Mercedes are doing the exact same with the AMG badge, and Ford have been exploiting their RS heritage for years now.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10N47 View Post
I agree. I can't afford £60k+ for an M5 but I want to buy into the heritage which is M sport. I realise BMW are just exploiting the 'M' badge but I'm happy to accept the aesthetics and the driving dynamics which accompany the M Sport option, even though my base car is just a 520d. In my opinion it makes my car just a little more special (to me). In Europe, at least, Mercedes are doing the exact same with the AMG badge, and Ford have been exploiting their RS heritage for years now.
Agree with what you are saying. Apart from Ford and the RS...

Thankfully Ford has reserved the RS badge for the pure, modified versions. Just like how the M3 is different from the 320i, the Focus RS is (was) quite different from the Focus 1,6 TDCi.

Ford has the ST versions that are more similar to a car like the M135i. Engine and suspension have been tweaked and it's a really good drivers car.

The Focus RS though has very different suspension setup with the RevoKnuckle front suspension only found on the RS. Wider body with front and rear fender bulges etc. Interior is also very different. The Volvo based 5-cylinder turbo engine is also sweet! Not to mention the 350hp Focus RS500 in matte black only... Saw one in Monaco, and that is actually a car that looks completely at home in Monaco!!!

Forgive me for posting pictures of Fords here...

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
F10N47
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D M Sport

You're right ... I stand corrected. Ford have always retained the integrity of it's RS division. I can't think of any model using the RS name which has not been a substantially modified derivative of a standard car.

Back in the day they did, however, sell RS parts (wheels, spoilers, etc.) to fit standard cars. That resulted in low level models being adorned with all sorts of RS badged items. Which is essentially what BMW are doing with the M Sport models.

I guess BMW can be accused of capitalising on their motorsport heritage in order to gain sales but, as it allows me to buy the car I want at a price I can afford, they are forgiven!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Updated with Facebook app to configure the LCI. Also shows the ///M badge on M-sport models.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW/app_135659626612512
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

UPDATE 2:

Official LCI Brochure in German

http://www.bmw.de/dam/bmw/marketDE/b...1047776219.pdf

///M badge on front fenders listed as standard equipment on the M-Sport models
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

it's amazing how clean the car looks without those ugly orange reflector!
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0