2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New car worth it?

02-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

New car worth it?

I'm in two minds. My current vehicle M sport 520D will be 3 years old later this year and out of warranty. I think buying a slightly used car will probably land me under the government's new and silly tax plan as the value most likely is above £40k but keeping my current one would probably depreciate further along with maintenance costs.

What would be advisable or what would you guys do? I usually buy straight out and considering my options where I can save but also dont want to face a bill later down the line. So looking at options of what others may do in a similar position
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

In a similar situation myself. 3 years into a 535d and I do a good few miles so the price of the year 4 BMW warranty is madness. I'll put the monthly cost away as a repair fund.
Been looking at a G30. TBH not sold on it, other than the 540i, none are as quick as a 535d and the 540i would require 3 fills every 2 weeks, and the problems my colleagues are having with their company G30/G31s is putting me off. Had a look at 6 series. F10 in a posh frock. 6GT and 7 series too large, don't want an X5 or X6. Don't like Audis, too young for a Merc. JLRs break.
Then I just saw the E60 530d I traded in for £9k in 2013 @ 80k miles sold again last week with 150k on the clock for £4.5k. I think I am going to keep what I've got. It's a known quantity and the depreciation curve will level out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
In a similar situation myself. 3 years into a 535d and I do a good few miles so the price of the year 4 BMW warranty is madness. I'll put the monthly cost away as a repair fund.
Been looking at a G30. TBH not sold on it, other than the 540i, none are as quick as a 535d and the 540i would require 3 fills every 2 weeks, and the problems my colleagues are having with their company G30/G31s is putting me off. Had a look at 6 series. F10 in a posh frock. 6GT and 7 series too large, don't want an X5 or X6. Don't like Audis, too young for a Merc. JLRs break.
Then I just saw the E60 530d I traded in for £9k in 2013 @ 80k miles sold again last week with 150k on the clock for £4.5k. I think I am going to keep what I've got. It's a known quantity and the depreciation curve will level out.
Hi Jonny!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you saw your old e60 being sold again with 150k on the clock for still near to £5k.

Imagine someone bought the car that you were looking to upgrade (e60) in 2013 to the newer model (your current car-f10) which was the latest shape at the time only three years into its life cycle as their main car for daily driving when you thought you'd already had it for 80k Miles only to go and put another 70k Miles in five year (14k p/a)

So you're thinking out with the old in with the new but to someone it's been their 'new' car

It's the same situation now

Someone will buy your current f10 and do the same

My point being, the current f10 is capable of reaching the same point of 150k and provide easily another five years of 14k p/a

Yes some may say that maintenance costs will Increase and parts and components may go wrong but that can be said of any brand new car also.

Just look around the forums, - people wanting to reject new cars with under 5k miles or only two months old cars with faults.

Take my example.

My steering rack went at 29k miles on my f10.

Point is you know your cars history and even with putting money aside or extending the warranty it's still cheaper than man maths to buy a new car which is a considerable amount more especially to get the same spec in the current shape. Unless money is not issue the only exception.

I'm doing the same after speaking with a few forum members.

My f10 520d 2011 has 43k Miles

Has extended warranty

May stop the warranty and put money aside or keep till 60k and then put money aside as the warranty cost increases.

Either way it's cheaper for me than buying a brand new car with the same spec.

Also like you e60 if I sell my f10 now whoever buys it is laughing

Option to buy with Extended warranty to transfer or not
And low miles full bmw service history and well looked after and spec.

They will snap it up cheap I've taken the guy in the depreciation as I got mine in 2013 like yours
And they will happily put the miles on.

Me on the other hand have financed or borrowed more money to buy the current shape and take more hit on depreciation and be back in the same position when I could put the money into my household for other things.

Instead I'm going to keep my f10 get use out of it and really get my money's worth.

Your doing the right thing I think honestly.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I'm in a similar position, though with the F31 tourer.

List price of £43.5k, bought at 6 months old/3k miles in December 2013 for £30k.

Now on 54k miles, I've been quoted £11-12k trade-in.

I think I'm just going to keep it another 3-4 years. Otherwise I'm just pissing even more money away on ridiculous amounts of depreciation again.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

List price of £43.5k, bought at 6 months old/3k miles in December 2013 for £30k.

I think I'm just going to keep it another 3-4 years. Otherwise I'm just pissing even more money away on ridiculous amounts of depreciation again.
Hi Robbie

Your car is still great and barely run in. Whoever buys it is laughing.

We're all in the same boat and worth just getting the most out of the current motor.

It still has many years of driving to offer.

Sp.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

I think the thing is, if your car has the spec you want it’s worth keeping.. I really need a touring or boot now... and if I am honest the big mistake when buying my current car was thinking I could live with the standard hifi and no Bluetooth audio. It drives me mad!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
I pick up my G30 on Thursday. What sort of problems are our colleagues having with theirs?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

Absolutely this.
You're in a great car. I am too.
It's taken the bulk of the depreciation already. Mine too.

If you sell and spend another £30000 to get "new", then immediatly that £30000 will take a battering and will reduce down to nothing again in three years costing you £10000 a year in depreciation if not more. Continue to run the current motor and even if you have to pay £1200 a year for an extended warranty, that is a lot less than £10000 a year depreciation!!!!!!!!!!

Madness if the car you have is a good one and you like it.

My Nov 2014 car - which I think is superb in every way- in my signature is fully loaded, immaculate with only 37000 miles and I bet I'd be lucky to get £16000 for it part-ex. It's got every gadget going and is working well (touch wood). It's a keeper for at least another 3-4 years and i'll continue to keep the warranty on it (£840 at less than 60000 miles).

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT

Last edited by shiner; 02-24-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
I pick up my G30 on Thursday. What sort of problems are our colleagues having with theirs?
Water in headlights - enough to swill around, not just condensation. Temperamental iDrives, requiring software updates at dealer. HUDs not working. Back seat rattles. Apart from the HUD problems (which the dealer is struggling to fix) "everything's normal sir".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Absolutely this.
You're in a great car. I am too.
It's taken the bulk of the depreciation already. Mine too.

If you sell and spend another £30000 to get "new", then immediatly that £30000 will take a battering and will reduce down to nothing again in three years costing you £10000 a year in depreciation if not more. Continue to run the current motor and even if you have to pay £1200 a year for an extended warranty, that is a lot less than £10000 a year depreciation!!!!!!!!!!

Madness if the car you have is a good one and you like it.

My Nov 2014 car - which I think is superb in every way- in my signature is fully loaded, immaculate with only 37000 miles and I bet I'd be lucky to get £16000 for it part-ex. It's got every gadget going and is working well (touch wood). It's a keeper for at least another 3-4 years and i'll continue to keep the warranty on it (£840 at less than 60000 miles).
^^^^^ this

My car was at the 3 year point in September last year. Normally I chop mine in for a new car but I decided to keep it for another few years. It's done 71k now so the trade-in value is poor. It has worn it's miles well and looks and drives great.

With regards to the warranty I opted for a warranty direct one in the end, because my car had done over 60k miles BMW wanted £1741 a year! The warranty direct, with main dealer repairs, was £565. The main difference being it doesn't cover the iDrive, but I'll take the risk on that for the savings in premiums!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Yep, it's stupid money for the BMW warranty (certainly for comprehensive with the £100 excess) after 60000 miles. I am hoping to keep the car below that for as long as possible, another two years at least I hope since I do not do monster miles.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0