2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Engine RPM's start high, end low?

10-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
unatiq
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528xi

Engine RPM's start high, end low?

Hi

I'm new to owning a BMW and am not having the grandest time, have had many issues with the car in the 1 year I have had it. Hoping for some clarification and assurance.

Anyways my car starts up fine at 7 am but the engine rpm's are unusually high at 1200, the car shakes a little bit and then within 40 seconds the rpm's fall to 600-700 and they stay there.

Is this normal for the winter? I say winter because this did not happen in the summer and up here in northern Canada its usually pretty cold in the morning.

Also side note when I come to a red light the car usually vibrates a lot and RPM's are around 600-700. It honestly feels abnormal, I have never been in a car that vibrates that much. Engine is running fine, no recent service issues. Although 2 months after getting this car earlier this year I heard a noise in the engine, timing chain, oil pan both turbos needed to be replaced 12k repair bill, Goodwill and I paid 2K.

The car is a 2013 528xi.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by unatiq View Post
Hi

I'm new to owning a BMW and am not having the grandest time, have had many issues with the car in the 1 year I have had it. Hoping for some clarification and assurance.

Anyways my car starts up fine at 7 am but the engine rpm's are unusually high at 1200, the car shakes a little bit and then within 40 seconds the rpm's fall to 600-700 and they stay there.

Is this normal for the winter? I say winter because this did not happen in the summer and up here in northern Canada its usually pretty cold in the morning.

Also side note when I come to a red light the car usually vibrates a lot and RPM's are around 600-700. It honestly feels abnormal, I have never been in a car that vibrates that much. Engine is running fine, no recent service issues. Although 2 months after getting this car earlier this year I heard a noise in the engine, timing chain, oil pan both turbos needed to be replaced 12k repair bill, Goodwill and I paid 2K.

The car is a 2013 528xi.

Thanks
Initial high rpm is normal. It is used to get the engine in closed-loop mode sooner.

What gas are you using? The El Cheapo stuff or Top Tier? Octane? How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
unatiq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Initial high rpm is normal. It is used to get the engine in closed-loop mode sooner.

What gas are you using? The El Cheapo stuff or Top Tier? Octane? How many miles on the car?
Im using the best gas I can get usually 91 but sometimes 94 if I visit a select few stations also car has 115,000KM which around 70,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
sonniedae
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

I've been having a very similar problem. Mine has been vibrating after a cold start in the morning and it will keep vibrating excessively for several minutes. It was getting worse over time.
I took it to the service center to get it checked and they said I had a collapsed engine mount, cracked differential mount and a turbo intake seal leak. Quoted me $3k. Luckily after some research I found that my extended coverage covered the mounts but not the intake seal. Still trying to figure out how the repair that one at lower cost.
I haven't gotten my car back yet but hopefully this fixes the shakes. I also have a 2013 528i. I thought both the mounts failing at 75k was weird. I thought it might have been an injector or fuel pump issue. I had been running a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Im using the best gas I can get usually 91 but sometimes 94 if I visit a select few stations also car has 115,000KM which around 70,000 miles.
Had the plugs changed? Injectors cleaned?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
eghmsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport 6sp manual

My wife's 2013 528i M Sport was acting similar at around 65k miles. The vibration shook the steering wheel and brake pedal when the car was in gear and stopped. She had the extended warranty and took in in for service. I thought that the transmission mount may have needed replacing but the SA told her that afternoon that it was the timing chain. Since it has been replaced the vibration at the traffic light stopped. The SA told her when the chain was removed that it was only a weeks, if that long, from total failure.

Now at the next service the engine mounts were found to be damaged as well. They may have been already damaged and should have been changed when the engine was out to replace the timing chain. Since the service tech should have caught the damage when the engine was out the dealer is not charging for labor and we are getting the new engine mounts at cost.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
unatiq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghmsport View Post
My wife's 2013 528i M Sport was acting similar at around 65k miles. The vibration shook the steering wheel and brake pedal when the car was in gear and stopped. She had the extended warranty and took in in for service. I thought that the transmission mount may have needed replacing but the SA told her that afternoon that it was the timing chain. Since it has been replaced the vibration at the traffic light stopped. The SA told her when the chain was removed that it was only a weeks, if that long, from total failure.

Now at the next service the engine mounts were found to be damaged as well. They may have been already damaged and should have been changed when the engine was out to replace the timing chain. Since the service tech should have caught the damage when the engine was out the dealer is not charging for labor and we are getting the new engine mounts at cost.

Eric
I had the timing chain and turbos changed out about 10K ago, still vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
unatiq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonniedae View Post
I've been having a very similar problem. Mine has been vibrating after a cold start in the morning and it will keep vibrating excessively for several minutes. It was getting worse over time.
I took it to the service center to get it checked and they said I had a collapsed engine mount, cracked differential mount and a turbo intake seal leak. Quoted me $3k. Luckily after some research I found that my extended coverage covered the mounts but not the intake seal. Still trying to figure out how the repair that one at lower cost.
I haven't gotten my car back yet but hopefully this fixes the shakes. I also have a 2013 528i. I thought both the mounts failing at 75k was weird. I thought it might have been an injector or fuel pump issue. I had been running a JB4.
Hey, Do you have any info on that warranty. I know my standard warranty is expired. However are you talking about some other warranty or the standard warranty.

If the brackets are covered by some extra warranty I would probably take it into bmw and let them deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
unatiq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Had the plugs changed? Injectors cleaned?
No and No. Nor do i know how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #10
sonniedae
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Hey, Do you have any info on that warranty. I know my standard warranty is expired. However are you talking about some other warranty or the standard warranty.

If the brackets are covered by some extra warranty I would probably take it into bmw and let them deal with it.
I had EasyCare Extended warranty. It was offered as part of my CPO. I think you have the option for it near the time the factory warranty falls off.
Appreciate 0