2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Winter Tyres - yes or no?

08-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Winter Tyres - yes or no?

Given that rear wheel drive cars are notoriously poor in cold and icy conditions, I was wondering how many of you bother to winter tyres in the colder months? I purchased in April this year so haven't experienced a rear-wheel drive car during the winter, so would greatly appreciate feedback from more experienced rear-wheel drive car drivers....
      08-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I was tempted to get a set of winter tyres but decided against it. I suspect there are benefits to them, I am just not convinced that they are worth the cost, especially with the mild winters we have been having...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

I was the rear wheel driver for almost two decades, in mild and harsh winters. Tried out driving summer, all-season, friction and spiked tires of different brands. This is all about two things: your drive comfort and security, according to the climate conditions you live in.

If the temperature is seriously subzero, summer tire material (silica) just became hard and slippery like plastic. No start, no turn and brake, especially on RWD. Also if you have to drive countryside with snow and ice, you cannot make it without a specialized tire tread to guarantee good traction.

Winter tires are made to maintain traction and control under low temperatures and snow or ice on the road. There is a lot of discussions on what is better, friction or spiked? If you are city driver, comfort is much higher with the first ones, while the second ones are stronger and live longer.

If your winter temperature is much above zero and no snow - there is probably no need for winter tires, and you avoid extra costs. However if you travel abroad in winter, like going to Finland to relax in a beautiful lake house with sauna, you should be aware of different road condition and the local traffic police checking season tires change.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocky Wilson View Post
Given that rear wheel drive cars are notoriously poor in cold and icy conditions, I was wondering how many of you bother to winter tyres in the colder months? I purchased in April this year so haven't experienced a rear-wheel drive car during the winter, so would greatly appreciate feedback from more experienced rear-wheel drive car drivers....
Berkshire/ Hampshire does not get any significant snow (except maybe twice in the last decade). I have been driving rear wheel drives for many years now; and unless there is snow, you should be fine with normal factory fitted summer tyres.

This is not to discount winter tyres. If you can afford them and the swapping inconvenience twice a year, do it. Winter tyres do perform a lot better at lower temperatures and in cold wet conditions (and not just in snow).

If you had a set of winter and summer tyres, and you swapped these regularly - the overall life would be higher than 2 sets of summer tyres, so you do not lose anything financially. It is more the initial cost of buying (including extra alloy wheels), storage, swapping that puts most people off.

I have driven BMW 5 series with winter tyres in UK winters (Hampshire) and the difference with winter tyres is noticeable; they do feel to have more grip in the wet.
Not a must have in Berkshire winters - but if you want travel extensively, want the best drive and safety and can afford the cost and swapping, get them.
      08-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

I am a bit fan of winter tyres having been converted after living in Germany for 3 years. As previous post state, they aren't just for snow conditions they come into there own at temperatures of below 7 o C which is the typical UK winter. But I suppose the stumbling block for most will be the initial cost tyres - alone for a decent set of 245/45/18 run flat will cost in the region of £800+.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
dippo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 LCI 520D SE Auto

If you look on ebay Germany, you can find a lot of used wheel and tyre sets (search for F11 winterreifen).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I use winter tyres, if we do get bad conditions our BMW will likely not be going anywhere, or stopping. We had severe winters while I had the 3-series, winter tyres kept me mobile and saved my bacon when a car lost control on black ice in front of me.

I have them not just for snow (in my part of the Highlands we don't always get snow which interrupts driving), but have the added security of not getting caught out. Winter tyres cope better with black ice, which is a common issue.

I bought a nearly new OEM winter wheel set, for the F11, from a forum member who moved to a 3-series, so no cost penalty long term.

Now's the time to keep on the lookout for wheel sets, don't wait until demand increases, if you want a decent deal.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

I lived in Switzerland for many, many years so I'm used to the notion of switching wheels twice a year.

While the initial outlay is definitely quite high, keep in mind that your summer tyres - often on slightly larger wheels and more expensive - are only getting used for half the year. So when you're doing the sums dont forget that both sets of tyres will last twice as long.

Seems obvious but often overlooked!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

As said a few times, the initial cost is often outweighed by the fact that your summer tyres are not getting used as much. Or this may not be true in situations where you simply cannot move because of your summer tyres, so you are not using up tread anyway, instead using public transport, if that is operating.

I first used winter tyres on my 335d a few years ago, and the difference was HUGE. My house shares a private drive with 4 other houses, and at the end is an incline. My 335d was the ONLY car on the street to get out of the drive for a couple weeks one year. Because of the winter tyres. It wasn't because of the massive power and torque, rear wheel drive or auto box anyway.

I now have winters for my 530d, as well as my Passat. I also had winters on my old Range Rover for ultimate "go anywhere" fun.

I got my winter set for the 5 from a forum member, second hand. Was still about £800 IIRC, but lets face it, even the wheels alone would still be worth £400 (18's), and if the tyres are still good, they will still be worth £800.

I have no issues recommending winter tyres. They really do work.

Appreciate 1
      08-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

They make a *huge* difference. We've had mild winters recently but two or three years ago I simply could not get out of the drive in my F10 but scooted past nimbly enough in my wife's 120d on winters. I now put winters on my F10 from Nov - March.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Guys, Thanks to all for your responses here.

Certainly if I do go for Winter Tyres then I'll get a full second wheel set. That said I doubt I'll go to BMW for the tyres as they seem a good deal more expensive than other options and I can arrange my own storage.