2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 530D Msport review 3 years on.

03-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

530D Msport review 3 years on.

3 years on – review of my 530D MSport automatic
Mileage 16,900
Average fuel consumption since new 42.3 mpg (UK)
Official specs , 258BHP , 0-62MPH 6.0 s
Sophisto grey II (B90)

Name:  530d3yearson.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  570.9 KB

Equipment fitted:

Sports automatic gearbox
Adaptive cruise control
Head up display
Speed limit display
Adaptive Xenon headlights
19” Style 351 wheels
Full Electric Msport seats
Climate Comfort Windscreen
Rear Msport spoiler
Alcantara headlining
Rear view camera
Professional HIFI
Professional Satnav
Snap in adapter for Iphone 4
Wood trim

I’m following up from a review I did 2 years ago about my car.
Thread here :-
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ht=530d+review

So after 3 years of ownership , I’m still pleased with the car. I plan to keep the car for probably another 6-7 years.
The car has been 100% reliable and the only problems I have experienced from new are the following :-

2 Punctures on the same rear time. Not cheap to replace at £400 each time.
Minor scratch on the bottom of the front bumper which I’m getting sorted out shortly along with 2 minor dings on the wheels.

Fuel consumption has been very good at 42.3 MPG (UK) since new. Most of that is easy motorway driving which accounts for the good figure. I suspect most people will be returning a bit less than that if driving around town.
Performance when you want it is very good and I am firmly now a convert to diesel engines (well straight 6 cylinder ones!) and really like the way the engine is relaxed and has useable power. Unlike a petrol, there doesn’t feel the need to rev it to get the performance.

My criticism of the car still remains the steering and the tyres. The tyres are very prone to tramlining and I am currently experimenting with having the front tyres at .1 bar above the sticker that’s on the bottom of the B pillar. I’ll see how that goes. Lower ambient temperatures may not be helping and it could also be that the gauge at the garage is not accurate and pressures may be a little low as a consequence.
Steering I’ve got used to but I still feel the F10 with the Steering from an E39 would be fantastic.

Now if I were buying a 530d Msport today , would I change anything?

Possibly.

Adaptive drive gets good writes here on these forums so I would definitely have a look at that even though it’s not a cheap option.
I’d drop the climate comfort windscreen, doesn’t really make sense here in the UK.
I’d get TPMS rather than the TPWS that I have, just seems to be a better system although no excuse to not keep an eye on your tyre pressures.
Seats, I’d certainly consider comfort seats as they appear to be similar in cost to the Msport seats that I currently have with their full electric adjustment.
Adaptive LED lights – no brainer!
Traffic assist – sounds intriguing.

In terms of caring for the car, it just had the regular servicing, 1st one at 2 years and I’ve just had the brake fluid changed and a M.O.T. (UK annual safety check) with no advisories. Tyre depth was measured at 6mm front and 5mm rear on Michelin Primacy tyres. (so these seem to wearing ok)

I’ve washed the car with Autoglym shampoo and used a woollen mitten to do that. I’ve not let anyone else wash the car including the BMW dealership, (got strange looks when I insisted the car NOT be washed. But when you see new cars in their showroom with scratches on……)
I’ve used Autoglym polish and Extra gloss protection and have recently moved over to using their-hi definition wax which I’m impressed with. I’ve also clay bar’d the car as well and I think you’ll agree the results show it's worth it, the car still looks brand new to me.
For glass I’ve used Rain-x.

Options I would recommend to any of you considering purchasing one of these are :-

Adaptive cruise control – makes motorway driving a doddle and I use this in heavy traffic as well.

Head up display, arguably the best feature of the car and I wouldn’t want to get a car without it now.
For those of you of mature years who now need reading glasses, with the information focused at 6 feet away, it makes reading it very easy!

Real time Traffic information. This is SO much better than TMC and I’ve lost count of how much time it has saved me over the 3 years. I have not been stuck in any major congestion to date with the system routing me round it. Of course if the issue has just occurred, you could still get stuck but by and large, it works really well and its worth programming the route in to the satnav even for a route you know. It will ensure that you don’t get stuck in traffic. The information is updated I believe every 3 minutes.
TMC is a poor comparison although obviously better than nothing.

I would also recommend the alcantara headlining which brings the quality of the interior up a notch. The standard material seems a backward step from what was in the E39 in my opinion.(that E39 was such a good car!)

So there you have it. Overall very satisfied , just let down by the steering and tyres.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
TourStageFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 535iX M-Sport, CaymanS, %E

Great review! I'm seriously considering that my next 5er be diesel-powered.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

16,900 miles in three years? Cars were meant to be driven, not sit in the garage! Start driving that thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Good review, reflects our true feelings about a car when it is over an extended period, even if we cover low mileage.

Keep experimenting with the tyre pressures. Nothing wrong with trying the higher end of the pressure recommendation for a few days to see what differences it makes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
16,900 miles in three years? Cars were meant to be driven, not sit in the garage! Start driving that thing!
Get the train to work so I typically never use the car during the week, the weekend is when it comes out to play.

Encouraged by increasing the front tyre pressure so will see how that pans out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Nice review and car, especially the engine that I envy you.

My only issue with my car is the steering too.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Spied4US
Private
Rep
Drives: Cautiously

AP, that's one great looking automobile.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

damn…I feel bad now..mine will be 3 years in May and its only been driven 9000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Sjoerd
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: MY18 G11 750i, MY13 911S x51m7

The steering you will 'solve' with Integral Active Steering; a world of difference. Adaptive dampers will solve (part) of the body roll only.

Are you using run flat tyres?

In Europe; normally the 'high-milers' drive diesels. I am on 27k miles now in 1,5 years now which (here in Holland) is quite below average for a diesel. Most of the diesel drivers in my company do 40k-50k miles easy per annum.
      03-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourStageFan
Great review! I'm seriously considering that my next 5er be diesel-powered.
I would suggest you reconsider. After having (and truly admiring) my new 535xd for a mere two months now, I am thinking this will be my ** first and last ** diesel powered car. Future rides will guzzle petrol.

Reasons:

1) car for cruising, less for engaged driving
2) low testosterone level (no high revs)
2) front-heavy car
3) low charisma level (read as in: your "on arrival respect" with onlookers demolished to zero by the diesel's external acoustic presence, which is the same as of every 2.0 liter diesel taxi out there... Where's the BMW premium in that? )
4) much fewer engine/exhaust mod options vs "i" versions
5) "surge of torque" overrated
6) fuel consumption not that much lower
7) not entirely hassle free (e.g., ad-blue thingy refills necessary now and then to keep up with the Eco norms here in Europe)
8) not that much cheaper over long run (in general diesels are more costly to service, e.g., the DPF servicing can be very costly (as I am told) once the warranty runs out)

Here are just a few of my considerations, and please treat them lightly. I LOVE my car, as it disappoints in no respect. It's just that maybe I'm too young to settle for my current package. It is a CRUISING car with lots of class, but also a bit of a double chin, if you know what I mean.

And, maybe, just maybe, the diesel isn't really clicking with what I'd associate to be flair and subtlety that a proper driver's car ought to have.

Oh, and by the way, to the author of this thread: a very fine car! Looks great in this picture. If this is a recent shot of a 3-yrs old car, then I'm truly impressed. Great job on keeping the shine!

Some random thoughts

Had '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep

Each to their own, luckily we are quite spoiled as regards engines with BMW, certianly in the uk. I think (happy to be corrected) that ford for example don't make engines bigger that 2.2 litres these days.

I plan to keep my car for another 6-7 years and this is to spread out the cost of depreciation. (My last e39 I had for 10 years and it had 55000 miles on it when it got rid of it - wish I'd kept it but that's another story!)
I also chose diesel as I thought road tax was going to be very expensive every year, the government were penalising cars with high CO2 output .
Mileage to me would be high but it would be over a longer period than most people.
I like the way the torque is delivered but I do get the arguements for petrol.
Next car either a late LCI G30 or whatever follows most probably I would consider active suspension.

I still recommend the 530d and urge those of you thinking of buying a F10 to at least try one out. If you don't like it, fair enough , but a test drive may convince you otherwise.
Appreciate 0